Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

Hey guys.

Am planning to smoke some pork shoulder tomorrow. I asked my butcher to separate the rind (crackling) from the meat so I can cook it separately. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in cooking the rind on it's own in a smoker/weber. If so, method & how long does it usually take so I can time adding it to the smoker when the shoulder is mostly done. I'm guessing close to the coals & just keep your eye on it?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

Hi Lusty, I've done many pork shoulders not smoked but slow cooked on the weber (4-5) hours,  and always left the rind on.

always comes ups trumps 👍 mmmmm....pig - mysterious animal with 3 kinds of meat *homer

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, Beers Gone Wild said:

Sure thing BEARDED BURBLERThis stuff is so good for the gut. 

Saurkraut: Time to make - 20 minutes.

Photo: 2 Jars in with my Beers:

What a beautiful thing!  Thanks BGW - this rabbit hole is just becoming more and more interesting as I stumble my way down ; )

And some of you blokes on this forum are just masters of ripper food production... Wow.  Truly amazing.

Very good.  I am working on the Temp Control Fridge business and will chase down some appropriate jars.... and what a great way to utilise the 18 deg C space while brewing!

Thank you.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:29 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

The type of charcoal makes a difference with temperature, as does the smoker itself to a degree as well. The smoker I use now is much better than my old one...

Suggestion of better smoker OVB - can you advise make/model and supplier please?

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hey guys.

Am planning to smoke some pork shoulder tomorrow. I asked my butcher to separate the rind (crackling) from the meat so I can cook it separately. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in cooking the rind on it's own in a smoker/weber. If so, method & how long does it usually take so I can time adding it to the smoker when the shoulder is mostly done. I'm guessing close to the coals & just keep your eye on it?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

you could also make cracklings with it, check out this website https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/pork-cracklins-recipe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

you could also make cracklings with it, check out this website https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/pork-cracklins-recipe

Oddly enough I was having a squiz around this site earlier today. Wasn't looking for a recipe for this though. This recipe looks to be for those almost potato chip like pieces of crackling. You know the stuff they only pack in 25gm bags because if you ate any more than that in one sitting you'd be clasping your chest! 🤣

I found a good technique to do it in my fan forced oven so will just do it separately in there I reckon. Crackling really needs to cook fairly hot & fast unlike how I'm setting up the smoker to cook the shoulder low & slow.

I covered the pork shoulder in a marinade consisting of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a little lemon juice, & about half the McCormick's Grill Mates Tennessee Smokehouse Low & Slow BBQ Rub. I really want it to absorb into the meat & have the meat stay moist unlike the Yanks who love this hard crust (they call bark) on the outside. A little bark is OK though. Also poked a garlic clove about a third of the way into each side of the rolled meat for some added flavour.  Before my head hits the pillow I'll add the rest of the Grill Mates rub & just pad it down all over the meat & continue to marinate overnight. I'm going to smoke it over some apple wood chips that are recommended with pork. I'll throw a few spuds in foil towards the end of the cook again as they turned out really well last time. 

It smells & looks amazing as it is, so the mind does boggle about how good it will turn out by the end of the cook tomorrow.

Loving this new cooking venture. 😎

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I just finished adding the rest of the dry rub to the outside of the pork shoulder then scored & salted the separated pork rind in readiness for tomorrow.

I learned something about using dry rubs & marinades together today. Don't try & rub a dry rub into a moistened/oiled piece of meat. It just clumps & forms a paste (if you like).

Easily remedied though, just smear & spread it evenly with a knife instead of using your hands.

I'll also keg my current pale ale brew tomorrow while the cook is on so will be a really cool day all around.

Cheers, good brewing & BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

Pork-TennesseRub1_20-1-19.jpg

A pic of the pork I mentioned in my previous post before starting the smoker up this morning (about 4kgs). Getting the coals stoked went smooth as silk this morning, unlike last time. I think I used about 50 million firelighters last time, only two this time around so a vast improvement there. 🤣

It's been on a little over an hour & looking good. Have just slipped a foil water tray in to help keep the meat moist through the cook. Appears to be holding temp much better with the smaller tray this time.

Should be good in about 5-6 hours time. 🤞

Time to go clean & fill a keg with some beer. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

....and about 5½ hours later we have this...

Pork-TenneseeRub3_20-1-19.jpg

Internal temp was just under 71°C so have yanked it off & wrapped it in foil. Below I have some baked spuds & carrots in foil cooking. I've collected some drippings from the meat & might have a crack at making a gravy out of the strained liquid from it.

Gonna crack a fresh pale ale I kegged earlier today from the keg shortly. Life is good right now. ☺️

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Smoked a batch of bacon earlier overlapped with the final stages of the brew day. Will fridge it overnight then cut the skin off and slice it up tomorrow. 

20190119_142947.thumb.jpg.388bc4e8caf35404ca9b1a5e58bd90b0.jpg

Hopefully noone calls the Fire Brigade... otherwise they might want some of the finished product 😝

• Haha 2