Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

15 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

BGW - point me if you may towards the home made sauerkraut if you can... sounds v good...

Sure thing BEARDED BURBLERThis stuff is so good for the gut. 

Salt draws out the moisture and creates the ferment.

Saurkraut: Time to make - 20 minutes.

1 Large jar - clasp sealing type. 

Normal Cabbage ( Need about 1 KG) 
1 Tablespoon of salt per kilo of cabbage.

Take out core of cabbage. Slice cabbage. I usually do it about half a finger width.
Put cabbage in a large mixing bowl, mix salt through it. Massage for about 5 minutes to get salt through.
Leave for 10 minutes.
Massage again for 5 minutes until it is soft and you have a heap of liquid in bottom of bowl
Put it into your jar, pushing it down tight with your hand each time, you need to compact it.
Pour the rest of juice from mixing bowl into the jar.
Grab a snaplock bag, put some water in it and pop it on top of the cabbage to hold the mix down, all the cabbage needs to be in the juice or it will go off. I used to use a cleaned stone to hold it down.

Close the lid or cover with a dish towel, it will build up pressure if Air tight, so you need to let that out every few days.
Pop somewhere dark and around 18c. Leave it for 7 Days - 10 days. A bit longer if colder. The longer you leave it, the more tart it becomes.

You will see some bubbles or froth while it is fermenting.
Once done place into jars with lids and store in the fridge.

I ferment my sauerkraut in my temp controlled beer fridge. Consistent temp is best.

Photo: 2 Jars in with my Beers:

sauerkraut.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

almost ready

Looks great mate. Plenty of smoke looking infusion in that! 😎 You're a beast with this smoking deal. Love your posts in this thread. 🙂

I picked up a custom cut piece of pork shoulder I pre-ordered from my local butcher earlier today. He's done a terrific job on the cut I reckon.

Gonna smoke it on Sunday. Can't wait.

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

• Like 2

pork shoulder is the easiest and possibly the best for smoking. temperature fluctuations and all don't really matter. do yourself a favour and have a read of meathead's site, he really knows his stuff and writes about it very well.

i'd suggest go very simple with the rub mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

pork shoulder is the easiest and possibly the best for smoking. temperature fluctuations and all don't really matter. do yourself a favour and have a read of meathead's site, he really knows his stuff and writes about it very well.

i'd suggest go very simple with the rub mate.

Thanks mate.

I have a very good marinade for pork in prep for use on my rotisserie but want to try the American feel on this bit of Pork in the smoker for something different. Sorry to keep bringing them up & sounding a little generic, but the McCormick's "Grill Mates Tennessee Smokehouse BBQ rub" is really good on this type of meat. I've used it on pork already. Probably slightly better used on ribs, but I want to coat a full shoulder in the stuff & see how it turns out.

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

glad it works for you..

Sugar, Salt, Spices [Smoked Paprika, Chilli (6%), Black Pepper], Garlic, Smoke Flavours (4%) (Contain Barley), Onion (4%), Milk Solids, Mustard Flour, Vegetable Gum (415), Yeast Extract, Anti-Caking Agent (551), Acidity Regulator (330), Spice Extract. 

but that is not for me at all. try salt and pepper with good meat.

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

brisket and mac n cheese...

Looks really good mate & I'm hearin' ya in regard to the need for loading the meat up with rubs prior to smoking. My fav pork rotisserie marinade is relatively simple.

I'm in my infancy smoker use-wise & this Tennessee rub is very simple too. McCormick's have done their homework on these rubs. Cheap as, & ridiculously good flavour-wise (IMHO).

I'm loving experimenting so far.

Lusty.