Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

3 hours ago, Spudley said:

BBQs galore has quite a range of rubs and sauces , pick up an Traeger Rub before xmas , the dude behind the counter recommended it (might b sales pitch) have yet to try it.

Have not been there. Thanks for the lead Spud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Country Brewer homebrew shops also stock rubs, Jerky spices & sausage making gear. I bought one of their rubs the other week. I opened it & the chilli intensity within nearly burnt out my nose hairs! To be frank, I'm a bit scared to use it! 🤣 I think I'll try it on a small piece of meat first. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Be Brave?

Made me laugh, some folks just use way toooo much chilli.

Makes you want to snort home brew beer just to put out the nose hair fire!!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Do you mind sharing your recipe?

i don't have one.

salt n pepper works well.

i was a chef for a while so i use what ever i think appropriate at the time. i have heaps of spices so make stuff up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Lol, saves chasing escaped piglets around the farm in the middle of the night with rain running down your back.

Try buying directly from a local paddock to plate producer, may be the way to go? 

If you were in Tassie, we could probably sort out some arrangement.

Cheers436192672_IMG_0518(2).thumb.JPG.d85ed18ef947ef02b629fc4b77bccef8.JPG

There's a lot of good stuff happening down there in Tassie atm. It's a shame you guys seem to want to keep most of it a secret from the rest of us.

It's likely my next holiday destination. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Do you mind sharing your recipe?

9 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

i don't have one.

salt n pepper works well.

i was a chef for a while so i use what ever i think appropriate at the time. i have heaps of spices so make stuff up.

I've found Ben to be a very humble man that is short on words about everything he speaks about. What he produces however, is worth speaking about at length.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I have a smoker that sounds exactly like yours. A grill plate over the coals, a mid grill plate, & another grill plate towards the top of the unit. I'll find some balance eventually as I'll persist longer than an empty gutted mosquito until I have it working right! 🤣

I'll probably try a smaller circumference foil tray that allows the coal heat to pass by it next time.

Thanks for your thoughts mate. 🙂

Lusty.

Mine only has two grill plates, the top one and one that sits below it just above the water bowl, although I only use the top one so the second one usually isn't in there. It also has meat hooks in the lid.

But yeah it does take a bit of playing around to figure out how to get it running nicely. I tried the snake method once with the briquettes and it was a massive fail, but I probably didn't do it properly. I find just dumping in a load or two of charcoal from the chimney starter at the beginning works well enough anyway. Sometimes I've added charcoal directly into the smoker without lighting it when adding more a few hours in, it catches alight after about 20 minutes or so. Or I've put a load of unlit charcoal in then tipped the lit stuff on top of it at the beginning which slowly gets it going after a short time and maintains temp well too, without doing two chimney starters.

16 hours ago, Beerlust said:

There's a lot of good stuff happening down there in Tassie atm. It's a shame you guys seem to want to keep most of it a secret from the rest of us.

It's likely my next holiday destination. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

Great small island escape from the big island. Plenty to see & do without the vast distances or traffic congestion.

Just don't tell to many people, we like the quieter lifestyle.

Cheers

• Like 2

I find the minion method works best for me, for low and slow. Make a circle of charcoal/beads around your firebox, leaving a hole in the middle. Start some charcoal/beads in chimney and dump it in the hole in the centre. Gives me around 120c for about 5 hours. Works great.

im starting to look at a pellet smoker, for ease.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

chicken thighs getting smoked for pizza tonight. quick brine and rinse and smoke.

You're good at this smoking gig aren't you? How long-a-process for something like that Ben?

Is making something like that cost efficient?

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

I find the minion method works best for me, for low and slow. Make a circle of charcoal/beads around your firebox, leaving a hole in the middle. Start some charcoal/beads in chimney and dump it in the hole in the centre. Gives me around 120c for about 5 hours. Works great.

im starting to look at a pellet smoker, for ease.

I like the sound of that method, might give it a go next time I use the smoker.

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

How long-a-process for something like that Ben?

2 hour brine, rinse and rest on a rack in the fridge for a few hours. Smoke hot and quick otherwise you get rubber chicken, maybe hallf an hour?

• Like 2

I recently bought a gas Weber Family Q and love it but instead of dumping the old 4 burner, hooded, gas BBQ, we ripped out the very deteriorated burners and my son got a metal working mate to craft a tray to replace the drip tray to enclose it more. We now have a rudimentary charcoal BBQ/smoker. We're still in L plate mode in regards to getting the heat right but looking forward to the smoky future. Best of both worlds - gas and charcoal. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

...Best of both worlds - gas and charcoal. 🙂

I still have a hooded gas BBQ with a rotisserie. The Smoker is going to have a hard time beating my marinated rolled pork recipe on that.

I'm gonna try it out in the smoker though. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

...pumpkin and sweet potato smoking for a soup today. 

I've heard good things about smoking veggies. Is it really as good as the hype?

On my maiden smoking voyage I placed half a dozen foil wrapped spuds coated in just vegetable oil & salt on the middle shelf for the last hour of the meat cook. My better half loves spuds & said they turned out terrific. Very soft & juicy, melt in your mouth sort of thing. Could they have been better if I left the foil off? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I still have a hooded gas BBQ with a rotisserie. The Smoker is going to have a hard time beating my marinated rolled pork recipe on that.

I'm gonna try it out in the smoker though. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

You definitely have to try it in the smoker or else you won't know which method is best.
I have a rotisserie also but it's only suitable for the charcoal BBQ.

Not quite up to your level of excellence Chaps... but I did do a little towards making myself useful today...  local garden plums. that the birds did not get over Christmas...

plum jam and a jar of plum-chilli-garlic sauce w garden garlic.... mmm... hopefully next time I will have me own chillies ; )

image.thumb.png.2d1541c8fe3393487195203c7e42ca12.png

mmmmm.... might have to take the Holland House Seafood Rollmops lid off when serving the plum jam?

• Like 1