Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

Something ads simple as Hickory. Or Aussie stuff, Black She-oak is sensational as is ironbark.
If it was me I'd smoke it like a brisket. That's me. YMMV.  All the best and let us know how it is.

My thoughts. Tough (topside) needs low n slow to break down connective tissue, wagyu is fatty and shouldn't be rare, the fat needs to melt. So that is 2 pluses for the low n slow.

Edited by PB2
expletive removed

Something ads simple as Hickory. Or Aussie stuff, Black She-oak is sensational as is ironbark.
If it was me I'd smoke it like a brisket. That's me. YMMV. And who TITS knows mate. All the best and let us know how it is.

My thoughts. Tough (topside) needs low n slow to break down connective tissue, wagyu is fatty and shouldn't be rare, the fat needs to melt. So that is 2 pluses for the low n slow.

Edited by Ben 10
  • Like 1

Bad word or Rude word? Never heard of a word going Bad. Thinking Breaking Bad kinda stuff.

So the DIY platform must have an inbuilt check on rude words they have loaded in the rude word dictionary for the website presumably.

Sensible approach.

Ok kind of a odd one as I'm new to using this style of BBQ / Smoker but I have read you can use it to do wood fire pizzas ? I'm assuming its the same principle burn wood .. get hot add pizza on pizza stone ? Would you just use your stock standard hardwood for this ?

Cheers,

On 6/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, Beer Baron said:

Dinner

AADB6A13-21FF-4113-A74F-2EF1AA92E5B0.jpeg

Hey BB.

I meant to comment on this earlier. I noticed the clay bricks you have under the lit charcoal briquettes etc. Do they retain heat long after the coals have burnt out?

I was just curious.

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hey BB.

I meant to comment on this earlier. I noticed the clay bricks you have under the lit charcoal briquettes etc. Do they retain heat long after the coals have burnt out?

I was just curious.

Cheers,

Lusty.

They are just to fill the space up. I found with the chicken at the lowest height I wasn’t getting enough heat so I just put the bricks on the bottom to lift the briquettes up. 

It ended up being a bit too high so I just put the chicken back up. 

I see BB.

It would be interesting to test the temp of those bricks after the coals burnout to see if they conduct &/or retain any heat & if so, for how long? or if you could pack briquettes into the brick holes & create a scenario where collectively you could hold temp in an enclosed space for longer? 🤔

Does anyone on the forum own or use a clay Chiminea? How do they go retaining heat?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I see BB.

It would be interesting to test the temp of those bricks after the coals burnout to see if they conduct &/or retain any heat & if so, for how long? or if you could pack briquettes into the brick holes & create a scenario where collectively you could hold temp in an enclosed space for longer? 🤔

Does anyone on the forum own or use a clay Chiminea? How do they go retaining heat?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty,

I have both a chiminea and a wood fired oven. Both once heated will retain for a long time. For the purpose of using bricks on a spit to retain heat, old red bricks or fire bricks would be better than modern house bricks. 

Hiya Hilltop. 🙂

Thanks for the info on the Chiminea & bricks. I suspected as much. In regard to the bricks, it would be awesome to see a time chart of measured temperature for them after reaching a certain temp to note the drop-off rate.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Damn there’s some good tucker being posted by the brewers here. Beer and Q is the best.

Beer Baron just a heads up.  if you wack a heat shield on the spit you don’t need bricks, the shield changes the whole heat usage/wastage. The difference is like XXXX to home brewed all grain beer. 😁

I use hardly use any charcoal and get perfect heat, same spit as you.

I find Raising the coal bed exposes it to wind so you don’t get that deep heat.

I got mine from an off cut 1 mm sheet, from my local metal fabricator, cost me one bottle of homebrew. Gave him 6 tho. 😉 now he is brewing & bbq ing flat out. Haha.

95EE110B-3736-4C14-BE2D-EC67D11DE0D2.jpeg

• Like 3