Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

So went down to Margaret River today to pick up some barrels from a bloke I work with. Turns out he is the owner of a fairly well know smokehouse. 

I had know idea he was all over this stuff. I work with him and he doesn't give much away about his personal life. Quized him about all the meat stuff and they process. Very interesting. I mentioned the book charcuterie that I've been reading and he was saying its a great reference book to develop your own recipes.

Bloody good day was had today.

• Like 3

I did high n fast today. Baby octopus was on spesh at the local fishmonger. Marinated Greek style with lemon, garlic, oregano.

Feel wrong to cook over gas hotplate, so did it over gidgee lump charcoal with oak for a bit of smoke

DE54DF57-E1CF-43F7-869A-EC431E6D7B05.jpeg

• Like 8

Spudley that looks so damn tasty. Love home made Ham.

While I was putting down a Brew I did some Bacon using loins I had in the Brine for 12 days. Cold smoked for 4 hours, then hot smoked until 150F internal.

I thought while cold smoking the bacon I'll throw some cheese in. Got enough cheese and bacon to last us for a while 😉

Sliced and vacumn packed. Will leave cheese for a couple of weeks to mature.

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

• Like 11

Hard to beat home made bacon and ham. I've made a couple of bacons for the olds as well and Dad really likes it, it reminds him of the old school bacon made properly, which I guess it is. I must do another ham soon.

Got a couple of loins today, one for a roast tomorrow and the other to make bacon. I'll be putting it in the cure on Monday to prepare for smoking in two weekends. Still got a beef roast and pork ribs in the freezer to do as well. Might do the beef roast at the same time as the bacon, the latter coming out earlier of course. 

• Like 1

For sure Otto, it cooks and tastes so much better. I personally think the Loins are also better than belly.  I cant get good belly around my way.

Do you cold smoke your bacon at all? 

This is how they do it for supermarkets,  100's of needles injecting the Brine, no way is that good.

Edited by Beers Gone Wild
  • Sad 1

Otto: I dunno if it even makes a difference cold smoking first, just thought I'd try and got a good result.

Thanks Spudley, man those Salami look so good..

I would really like to try to make Salami like that & our own sausages. Would you share your method? What "tools" do I need.

mmm Homemade salami, smoked cheese & Home Brewed beer, I am getting hungry now.. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, Beers Gone Wild said:

Spudley that looks so damn tasty. Love home made Ham.

While I was putting down a Brew I did some Bacon using loins I had in the Brine for 12 days. Cold smoked for 4 hours, then hot smoked until 150F internal.

I thought while cold smoking the bacon I'll throw some cheese in. Got enough cheese and bacon to last us for a while 😉

Sliced and vacumn packed. Will leave cheese for a couple of weeks to mature.

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

Looks great, might have to look at getting a smoker! Not sure what the Mrs will say. Already have a Weber Q, wood oven, Everdure gas/charcoal bbq and chimenea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spudley & Beers Gone Wild should open a Continental shop together with all the things I've seen them do in this thread. Both very talented. You two would make a killing!

Awesome! 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

Looks great, might have to look at getting a smoker! Not sure what the Mrs will say. Already have a Weber Q, wood oven, Everdure gas/charcoal bbq and chimenea. 

You can NEVER have too many barbecues!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Spudley & Beers Gone Wild should open a Continental shop together with all the things I've seen them do in this thread. Both very talented. You two would make a killing!

Awesome! 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers Mate 🍺

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Otto: I dunno if it even makes a difference cold smoking first, just thought I'd try and got a good result.

Thanks Spudley, man those Salami look so good..

I would really like to try to make Salami like that & our own sausages. Would you share your method? What "tools" do I need.

mmm Homemade salami, smoked cheese & Home Brewed beer, I am getting hungry now.. 

Tools , A good meat mincer, I use commercial one with a course plate, Sausage stuffing machine. Fibrous sausage casings 55mm, 

Good Pork shoulders ,Shoulders are best because of there fat content, Skined and boned. diced then put into freezer for a while, you want everything really cold ,I even put the mincer parts in the freezer before mincing , keeps the fat nice and hard when mixing with ingredients ,

This is the ingredients for 4.5KG  Pork Shoulder

Flossy Salt  135 Grams

Curing Salt #2  2 level tsp

Course Black Pepper 1 TBS

Garlic Powder 1.5 TBS

Chilli Pepper Flakes 1 TBS

Hungarian Sweet Paprika 2 TBS

All Spice 1 TBS

Cayenne Pepper 1 tsp

RED WINE 140ml per kilo of meat, any good drinking red, I use Shiraz.

Coarsley  grind meat, put in freezer while mix all ingredients together bar the Wine 

Mix ingredients with meat but don't work the meat too much, Add Wine loosely mix again,

Stuff Sausage casings tightly , u don't want any air pockets.

Hang in a cool ventilated area with a bit of air circulation for 6 weeks to dry or Cold smoke then hang.

The Salt and Wine make the meat an acidic environment  so no nasties can survive .

All the best 

Cheers

Spud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, Beerlust said:

Awesome! 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty, very cool, thanks mate. I dig seeing the Brewers "cooks" on the forum.

I like sharing these Cooks so others may get inspired and want to try them, they all work soo well with a good Beer!

Spudley: Mate your an expert! Thanks for sharing with us.

I am definately going to try this, time poor at the moment with work & Family, next annual leave Ill try get organised. You have to show us a pic when your salamis is done.

• Like 3

Boiling up the curing brine for my next lot of bacon just now. Forgot to do it yesterday because we got caught up replacing headlights on the missus car. What a PITA that was 😂. Did one of the  tail/brake light globes as well which took about 5 minutes, way easier. 

Anyway, the pork loin will go in tomorrow morning, and I'll remove it Friday week after work, rinse off, pat dry and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight and smoke it on the Saturday. Might combine that with a brew day but will decide closer.

I'd like to get into sausage making as well but I don't have the equipment yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

I am definately going to try this,

PLEASE do some reading and self educating. While it is easy it can also be lethal. I inoculate mine with bacteria to ferment the meat this lowers the pH significantly and is imo the safest way to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

PLEASE do some reading and self educating. While it is easy it can also be lethal. I inoculate mine with bacteria to ferment the meat this lowers the pH significantly and is imo the safest way to do it.

+1 with this advice