Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Depends on the thickness of it but usually somewhere between 7 and 10 days.

Sweet, I can definitely get this going with my fifo, brewing and now smoking schedule ha ha ha

Should work out pretty well actually 

Yeah, I only needed to leave a belly I did in the brine for a few days. I haven't done dry curing but I'm happy with using brine anyway. 

It's funny in that book for Canadian bacon it says to brine it for only two days. I did that the first time and there was a portion of white still in the middle of the meat. So I extended it to 4 days and there was still a slither, so then I went to a week. I usually just estimate it by sight. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, The Captain!! said:

Yeasty, have you tried canning some of that? Ive done a small run of southern blue fin once and it was bloody terrific. Definitely worth the time and effort.

Oh Captain,

Good Idea however I would not know where to start. Steaks it is for a while.

We have a barter system going here, works well too.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's funny in that book for Canadian bacon it says to brine it for only two days. I did that the first time and there was a portion of white still in the middle of the meat. So I extended it to 4 days and there was still a slither, so then I went to a week. I usually just estimate it by sight. 

Just had a bit more of a read of that book and yeah I think I’m going to go the brine way over the eight days I’m out for, seems dry cure leaves a little less room for error. 

Anyway, thanks for ya help. 

4 hours ago, Spudley said:

Pork Ribs Traeger Rubbed for dinner tonight 👍🍺🍻

68D34F78-F87E-4374-8B1E-34B2AABA850A.jpeg

Hey Spudley, they look great. Had some pork ribs last week at my local which were tasty. Had a bbq sauce which was not too sweet. I wanna do some in my wood oven, whats your spice rub look like for pork? 

58 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Hey Spudley, they look great. Had some pork ribs last week at my local which were tasty. Had a bbq sauce which was not too sweet. I wanna do some in my wood oven, whats your spice rub look like for pork? 

Traeger rub from BBQs galore , good stuff 👍🍺

15243A63-2634-42C4-A1AD-73783D85CD9E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spudley said:

Traeger rub from BBQs galore , good stuff 👍🍺

15243A63-2634-42C4-A1AD-73783D85CD9E.jpeg

Went with 2 2 1 method 2 hours on smoke, wrapped with Plum Sauce and Coke for 2 hours , unwrap cook for further 1 hour , beautiful 👍🍺🍻

• Thanks 1

Hilltop Hoods; Man that is a sweet setup, everytime I see it I am jealous 😉  What temp is your oven/Stone? 

Those pizzas look superb, do you make your own dough? If so what flour do you use?

I havent made my own dough, usually buy premade stuff from Woolies.

Spudley: You beauty mate. Nice slab of pork, what temp you cook that baby at? Whats that rub, General Purpose or ?

I think I may need to get some rubs next time im in a big town, been making my own basic ones for a while.

My Pizza Oven: Have the stone at about 700F-800F to cook, they cook damn quick, about 3-4 mins per pizza.

IMG_6719.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Hilltop Hoods; Man that is a sweet setup, everytime I see it I am jealous 😉  What temp is your oven/Stone? 

Those pizzas look superb, do you make your own dough? If so what flour do you use?

Spudley: You beauty mate. Nice slab of pork, what temp you cook that baby at? Whats that rub, General Purpose or ?

I think I may need to get some rubs next time im in a big town, been making my own basic ones for a while.

My Pizza Oven: Have the stone at about 700F-800F to cook, they cook damn quick, about 3-4 mins per pizza.

IMG_6719.JPG

I don't usually check the temp. Would be about 350c ish, I go by the 2 sec rule. If you can put your hand in the oven for only 2 seconds its the right temp! 

Use 1kg of 00 type flour, 7-800ml of water, 50 ml of olive oil, 4 tsps of yeast, salt and a pinch of sugar. Mix the dried yeast in warm water. Mix it all together and knead for 5-10 mins. Put in a large tub with glad wrap across the top. Let it rise for a few hours, punch it down. Once it has risen again, divide into 250 gram balls ready to roll out. Usually start it morning of the cook. Definitely not a baker but they turn out pretty good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Thanks for sharing your method, I’ll try it. Can you get the 00 flour from supermarkets?

i must be running mine to hot, I’ll go a bit lower and make The dough and see if I get better results.

You can get that flour from supermarkets

On 5/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, Beers Gone Wild said:

I cook at about 180 - 190 tend to open the door to much 😀 

Yep the Traeger Rub is GP all rounder , good for Beef Pork and Poultry ingredients include Chilli Pepper , Garlic, Salt ,Paprika,Sugar 👍🍺

IMG_6719.JPG