Jump to content
Beerlust

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Depends on the thickness of it but usually somewhere between 7 and 10 days.

Sweet, I can definitely get this going with my fifo, brewing and now smoking schedule ha ha ha

Should work out pretty well actually 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's for the liquid brine I use. Might be different for a dry cure.

True, my book does say a week for the belly portion so Id expect another few days for the thickness of the loin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I only needed to leave a belly I did in the brine for a few days. I haven't done dry curing but I'm happy with using brine anyway. 

It's funny in that book for Canadian bacon it says to brine it for only two days. I did that the first time and there was a portion of white still in the middle of the meat. So I extended it to 4 days and there was still a slither, so then I went to a week. I usually just estimate it by sight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beer Baron: That looks damn good sizzling away there, rosemary and lamb = Yum. What she turn out like in the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, The Captain!! said:

Yeasty, have you tried canning some of that? Ive done a small run of southern blue fin once and it was bloody terrific. Definitely worth the time and effort.

 

Oh Captain,

Good Idea however I would not know where to start. Steaks it is for a while.

We have a barter system going here, works well too.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Beer Baron: That looks damn good sizzling away there, rosemary and lamb = Yum. What she turn out like in the end?

Best lamb I’ve ever cooked!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pork Ribs Traeger Rubbed for dinner tonight 👍🍺🍻

68D34F78-F87E-4374-8B1E-34B2AABA850A.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's funny in that book for Canadian bacon it says to brine it for only two days. I did that the first time and there was a portion of white still in the middle of the meat. So I extended it to 4 days and there was still a slither, so then I went to a week. I usually just estimate it by sight. 

Just had a bit more of a read of that book and yeah I think I’m going to go the brine way over the eight days I’m out for, seems dry cure leaves a little less room for error. 

Anyway, thanks for ya help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood oven pizza dinner. 2xgarlic butter and mozzarella. 2xmargherita with spicy salami, 1 chilli garlic prawn and 1 smoked salmon with fetta cheese and of course a few beers! 

image-0-02-07-039bf9bd22017a0fa9679041d39bbd032e502c0e8a5fed721aa5008c05a8b02c-V.jpg

20190512_181837.jpg

20190512_161452.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spudley said:

Pork Ribs Traeger Rubbed for dinner tonight 👍🍺🍻

68D34F78-F87E-4374-8B1E-34B2AABA850A.jpeg

Hey Spudley, they look great. Had some pork ribs last week at my local which were tasty. Had a bbq sauce which was not too sweet. I wanna do some in my wood oven, whats your spice rub look like for pork? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Captain!! said:

Great looking pizzas there @Hilltop hops

Good to see restraint on the toppings

Thanks captain, with wood oven pizzas less is more! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Thanks captain, with wood oven pizzas less is more! 

Yep, spot on. All pizzas should be. It’s a bakers snack after all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Hey Spudley, they look great. Had some pork ribs last week at my local which were tasty. Had a bbq sauce which was not too sweet. I wanna do some in my wood oven, whats your spice rub look like for pork? 

Traeger rub from BBQs galore , good stuff 👍🍺

15243A63-2634-42C4-A1AD-73783D85CD9E.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spudley said:

Traeger rub from BBQs galore , good stuff 👍🍺

15243A63-2634-42C4-A1AD-73783D85CD9E.jpeg

Went with 2 2 1 method 2 hours on smoke, wrapped with Plum Sauce and Coke for 2 hours , unwrap cook for further 1 hour , beautiful 👍🍺🍻

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hilltop Hoods; Man that is a sweet setup, everytime I see it I am jealous 😉  What temp is your oven/Stone? 

Those pizzas look superb, do you make your own dough? If so what flour do you use?

I havent made my own dough, usually buy premade stuff from Woolies.

Spudley: You beauty mate. Nice slab of pork, what temp you cook that baby at? Whats that rub, General Purpose or ?

I think I may need to get some rubs next time im in a big town, been making my own basic ones for a while.

My Pizza Oven: Have the stone at about 700F-800F to cook, they cook damn quick, about 3-4 mins per pizza.

 

 

IMG_6719.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Hilltop Hoods; Man that is a sweet setup, everytime I see it I am jealous 😉  What temp is your oven/Stone? 

Those pizzas look superb, do you make your own dough? If so what flour do you use?

I havent made my own dough, usually buy premade stuff from Woolies.

Spudley: You beauty mate. Nice slab of pork, what temp you cook that baby at? Whats that rub, General Purpose or ?

I think I may need to get some rubs next time im in a big town, been making my own basic ones for a while.

My Pizza Oven: Have the stone at about 700F-800F to cook, they cook damn quick, about 3-4 mins per pizza.

 

 

IMG_6719.JPG

I don't usually check the temp. Would be about 350c ish, I go by the 2 sec rule. If you can put your hand in the oven for only 2 seconds its the right temp! 

Use 1kg of 00 type flour, 7-800ml of water, 50 ml of olive oil, 4 tsps of yeast, salt and a pinch of sugar. Mix the dried yeast in warm water. Mix it all together and knead for 5-10 mins. Put in a large tub with glad wrap across the top. Let it rise for a few hours, punch it down. Once it has risen again, divide into 250 gram balls ready to roll out. Usually start it morning of the cook. Definitely not a baker but they turn out pretty good. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your method, I’ll try it. Can you get the 00 flour from supermarkets?

i must be running mine to hot, I’ll go a bit lower and make The dough and see if I get better results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Thanks for sharing your method, I’ll try it. Can you get the 00 flour from supermarkets?

i must be running mine to hot, I’ll go a bit lower and make The dough and see if I get better results.

You can get that flour from supermarkets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, Beers Gone Wild said:

Hilltop Hoods; Man that is a sweet setup, everytime I see it I am jealous 😉  What temp is your oven/Stone? 

Those pizzas look superb, do you make your own dough? If so what flour do you use?

I havent made my own dough, usually buy premade stuff from Woolies.

Spudley: You beauty mate. Nice slab of pork, what temp you cook that baby at? Whats that rub, General Purpose or ?

I cook at about 180 - 190 tend to open the door to much 😀 

Yep the Traeger Rub is GP all rounder , good for Beef Pork and Poultry ingredients include Chilli Pepper , Garlic, Salt ,Paprika,Sugar 👍🍺

 

 

IMG_6719.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×