Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

16 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I grew up in a Catholic household but I’m not religious.

I bet it was wonderful living in the cellar! 😉

At a minimum It could help explain the excessive hair growth. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

Having a few days off has been great, its given me a bit of time to Brew Beer and Smoke Meat. 

Made a Smoked Pastrami from Corned Brisket and also did a smoked Cabbage with it, first time for that and it was very nice.

I also put down a 92 litre Brew down while my Pastrami was smoking - took about 7 Hours total. A great day!!

Tasted amazing with my customised Fruit Salad Ale. Gonna make ruben sandwiches for the Family for tea tonight.

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6674.JPG

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Having a few days off has been great, its given me a bit of time to Brew Beer and Smoke Meat. 

Made a Smoked Pastrami from Corned Brisket and also did a smoked Cabbage with it, first time for that and it was very nice.

I also put down a 92 litre Brew down while my Pastrami was smoking - took about 7 Hours total. A great day!!

Tasted amazing with my customised Fruit Salad Ale. Gonna make ruben sandwiches for the Family for tea tonight.

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6674.JPG

What did you put on the outside of your pastrami BGW?? 

BB

On 4/23/2019 at 4:52 PM, Beers Gone Wild said:

I ground Coriander 40% and Black Pepper 40%, then added some Garlic Powder 10%, Onion Powder 10%. 

It looks black as in the pic but the flavour was superb. Cheap & easy, I slice and vacumn pack the left overs and pop in the fridge or freezer.

The whole 'black brick' never looks great I reckon. But when you slice it so the inside can be seen it almost always looks really good. 👍

I bet it was yummy too! 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

@Beer Baron & @Spudley, & anyone else that smokes these things regularly, how long do you guys smoke pork ribs for?

I have some pork spare ribs that weigh approx. 1.5kgs that I plan to smoke tomorrow with some American style-dry rub. I'll know when they're cooked no problems, but just wanted to know when to get them started & roughly how long they will take.

Any help on time-frames would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lusty.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

@Beer Baron & @Spudley, & anyone else that smokes these things regularly, how long do you guys smoke pork ribs for?

I have some pork spare ribs that weigh approx. 1.5kgs that I plan to smoke tomorrow with some American style-dry rub. I'll know when they're cooked no problems, but just wanted to know when to get them started & roughly how long they will take.

Any help on time-frames would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lusty.

The last time I cooked pork ribs they were about 1.2kgs and I done 2-1-.5. (2 hours smoked, 1 hour wrapped with some liquid and 30 mins opened on a higher temperature basting with some sauce)

The American racks are much bigger so they follow the 3-2-1 method.

Good luck!!

On the menu today...

PorkRibs-TexasRub1.jpg

Hickory & apple wood smoked Texas rubbed pork ribs. I've separated the Pork fat & will turn that into lovely crackling in my regular oven with some duck fat smothered spuds, pumpkin & carrots about an hour before the ribs are done. Real healthy eating today! 😁

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

The last time I cooked pork ribs they were about 1.2kgs and I done 2-1-.5. (2 hours smoked, 1 hour wrapped with some liquid and 30 mins opened on a higher temperature basting with some sauce)

The American racks are much bigger so they follow the 3-2-1 method.

Good luck!!

Thanks Beer Baron, much appreciated. 👍 I've started out following the 3-2-1 method as it's a fairly thick piece of pork on the ribs. I know the yank ones are usually really long, but I reckon the thickness is maybe the key here to how long you do the stages. I'll keep my eye on it though given what you said.

It's been on for just over 1½ hours & is holding temp really well this time around 110-120°C. Depending on how long the coals last, I may even finish it off in the foil on my hooded gas BBQ.

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 hours ago, Beerlust said:

On the menu today...

PorkRibs-TexasRub1.jpg

Hickory & apple wood smoked Texas rubbed pork ribs. I've separated the Pork fat & will turn that into lovely crackling in my regular oven with some duck fat smothered spuds, pumpkin & carrots about an hour before the ribs are done. Real healthy eating today! 😁

Thanks Beer Baron, much appreciated. 👍 I've started out following the 3-2-1 method as it's a fairly thick piece of pork on the ribs. I know the yank ones are usually really long, but I reckon the thickness is maybe the key here to how long you do the stages. I'll keep my eye on it though given what you said.

It's been on for just over 1½ hours & is holding temp really well this time around 110-120°C. Depending on how long the coals last, I may even finish it off in the foil on my hooded gas BBQ.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah they look pretty thick Lusty. A 3-2-1 might be need for those. I look forward to the finals results 

Yep 3-2-1 worked perfectly.

PorkRibs-TexasRub2.jpg

The picture seriously doesn't do it justice. Awesome flavour, my guests were raving about them. The meat just fell off the ribs.

I was really impressed. Will definitely do again.

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

I have a rack of ribs in the freezer that I'm planning on doing soon. Also got a rolled beef rib roast. With the latter I just put it in for 8-9 hours with just enough water in the bowl that it dries up about half an hour before the meat comes out, so it's nice and tender but also gets a good bark on it. It is coated with a simple rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder. 

Obviously I'll have to do things a bit differently with the pork ribs. Haven't quite worked out what yet. I have a dry rub in the cupboard, tossing up whether to put this on the morning of cooking or do it the night before and keep in the fridge until it's time to go in. Maybe next time I smoke some bacon I'll do the ribs at the same time. 

Lusty that looks tasty as, I like the glaze. Great choice of wood, I reckon Apple Wood goes so well with pork, seems to have a sweetness about it.

I find the hard part is knowing when it will be ready due to meats and thickness etc, especially when you have guest's smelling the Cook and drooling 😋 . I say, it will be ready when its ready have another beer or canope hahaa.

Most of my smokes are always a bit early which works out good.

Went to Aldi yesterday as they had pork legs on special $7.99 Kg, grabbed four, two for freezer and was going to do two for Sunday Roast, always like to do a bit more so we have leftovers for work lunches etc. Saves heaps of dollars and eating good tucker.

I spotted the pork spare ribs on special too so grabbed them and some sausages, and cooked for Sunday Feed. Worked out about $8.00 for a rack of ribs which is good. I went a bit heavy with the Pepper in the rub but they were good.

A friend brought around some Pirate Life which went well with the ribs (I never buy do it due to the price)  Ribs & beer...mmmm

ribs.JPG

• Like 2

IMG_1202.thumb.JPG.96067d27f5ebfa45d58111cda89fda29.JPG

Struggling to fit my little fish on the BBQ.

Not for the cutting board and struggled to fit it on the bench for that matter!!

Any BBQ suggestions? Joking.

Just when I had some space in the freezer, not anymore.

Sushi & Sashimi this winter looks good.

Cheers

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Noice.... Yellowfin Tuna?  What waters does that ripper fishy come from?

I reckon Tuna is best fresh but had good experience w well bled yellowfin frozen too... 

• Like 1

Yeap just down the road, head out from Eaglehawk Neck, Tassie and head east to the edge of the continental shelf.

Amazing fishing not much you cannot hook out there if you know what you are doing.

Fortunately my mates appear to know what they are doing & I get lucky from time to time.

• Like 2

Beer Baron: Good score there mate.  Cant beat rotisserie taste over coals. I like to fire mine up in winter and spear a heap of chicken wings on it, can fit about 1KG per spit. Looks like Sunday will be a good feed.

Yeasty Boy: Nice Tuna there, awesome fish. Youll get a lot of meat from that. I caught a 16Kg Tuna about 12 months ago and we still have some in the freezer. Cant beat Tuna Steaks. They take a bit to fillet right, I ended up getting a Fisher mate to fillet mine.

Did "Beer Can Hamburgers" for the family last night, smoked and cooked in about 40 mins. 2 with Bolognaise and two with Mash Potato and a few other goodies. Tasty as. Good fun for the Gran Children to make. Last ones with Egg and bacon inside were damn good. You can put anything inside, my wife likes Spinach and Cheese.

Being a Beer forum some lads may want to do these 😉

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

IMG_6704.JPG

• Like 8

14 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Not for the cutting board and struggled to fit it on the bench for that matter!!

Any BBQ suggestions? Joking.

Just when I had some space in the freezer, not anymore.

Sushi & Sashimi this winter looks good.

Cheers

When I lived in port Lincoln, I would get a fish leg from a diver mate. Sashimi for days then steaks after that. Some mates and I had a great barter system where we would swap seafood. After the swapping you would each end up with a whole freezer full of different seafood. Fish, scallops, abalone, squid, fresh oysters, pipi's (cockles), razorfish, all sorts of stuff.

Thats one thing I really miss about not living in Port Lincoln.

Yeasty, have you tried canning some of that? Ive done a small run of southern blue fin once and it was bloody terrific. Definitely worth the time and effort.

• Like 2