Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's why I use loin roast instead of belly. Never really been a fan of streaky bacon anyway. I like the round rashers.

i really want to source the loin and belly in one piece.  Like what you buy from the store.  Cure it, smoke it and you get some lean and some fatty!  I suspect it is a matter of just asking my butcher for the special cut.  Lucky i have a big smoker!

• Like 1

I'm sure I could get it that way too if I asked for it. My issue isn't so much the smoker but a big enough container to fit it into for the brine I use. Of course, I could do a dry cure.

I've done a couple of bellies in the past, they didn't really taste much different to the loin ones I usually make. These had a reasonable amount of meat on them too, not mostly fat. The ones I see at Coles tend to be really fatty but the butcher ones have a lot more meat.

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

i really want to source the loin and belly in one piece.  Like what you buy from the store.  Cure it, smoke it and you get some lean and some fatty!  I suspect it is a matter of just asking my butcher for the special cut.  Lucky i have a big smoker!

Yer, me too, I like the loin and tail. It kind of sucks when you have to order it special from the Butcher as our Butcher(s) then pop a premium price on it.

I had a big Sunday with a couple of old mates I haven't spent much time with in recent years. I did an overnight cook starting around 1.30am of a rolled scotch fillet I light rubbed with an American style rub, & a pork shoulder I marinated with a light combo of salt, pepper, crushed fennel seeds, crushed fresh rosemary leaves, crushed fresh garlic, lemon juice & red wine vinegar. I used apple wood chips for the smoking flavour component.

I took some pics at various points but they don't do the end result the justice it deserves due to us carving & cutting the meats before I had a bothered to remember to take a few pics of the finished meats. What can I say?, the day got messy in the end, red wine etc. & dart competitions! 🤣 Both meats were cooked low & slow for approx. 12hrs or so. I won't lie, I had some issues trying to push the internal temps up to the 90-95°C range where the upper fat layer melts back through the meat. To the point I gave up on the pork shoulder in the end at around 87°C.

With something like a rolled scotch fillet I don't think I'll bother going long & slow with it again as it isn't a tough/hard meat to start with that you need to cook it longer. What it did turn out like though was melt in your mouth, & my mates just woofed it down with high praise.

The pork still turned out well but I admit I would like to push onto this 90-95°C mark to see what this collagen breakdown through the meat turns out like.

The amount of briquettes I went through over this long cook was ridiculous I reckon.

Both of my mates loved my SFWH Pale Ale. One of them despite bringing his own beer, pretty much drank it all day.

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a good score, what ya thinking of Cooking? I find they come out really good & tasty in these units, Webers just work.

I have done quiet a few Roasts with and without the tray.  I worked out I definitely needed the tray to diffuse the heat when I nearly burnt our tucker, without the tray I found the bottom of the roast cooked to quick. I think last time I put a roasting rack in on top of the tray to lift it even more.

I throw a smoker tube in for the first hour or so.

We use ours a lot in summer or I if cant be bothered dealing with the smoker.  Turkey Breast roll and Planked Salmon are our Favorites on this unit.

I go as low as I can then turn her up when about 10c below the target Internal Temp to crisp up. Not sure if that's right but it works for me so far, depends what your cooking i guess.

4 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Thats a good score, what ya thinking of Cooking? I find they come out really good & tasty in these units, Webers just work.

I have done quiet a few Roasts with and without the tray.  I worked out I definitely needed the tray to diffuse the heat when I nearly burnt our tucker, without the tray I found the bottom of the roast cooked to quick. I think last time I put a roasting rack in on top of the tray to lift it even more.

I throw a smoker tube in for the first hour or so.

We use ours a lot in summer or I if cant be bothered dealing with the smoker.  Turkey Breast roll and Planked Salmon are our Favorites on this unit.

I go as low as I can then turn her up when about 10c below the target Internal Temp to crisp up. Not sure if that's right but it works for me so far, depends what your cooking i guess.

Got a lamb shoulder and veggies on the go. Main burner only on low seems to be going ok. Shoulder is nice and fatty and foregiving unlike leg if you overcook it. 

Yep big arvo gonna sleep well! 

Haha, I know what your saying. Its worth it when your Family enjoy the fruits of your labour though. Longer the cook the more Beer I consume 🙂

Do you prefer your Wood Oven taste compared to your Weber? 

I reckon Ill give that AG hoppy ale a go. I do like the 4 Pines. 

My Sunday Roast Cook went well, I hit Internal Temp but ran the Gauntlet and left on for another hour, and it made a big difference, just finished it off nicely. If they still dropping juices flatout  I leave in for a bit.

I drank the Guiness (couldnt help myself) so it turned into a Pale Ale Can Chicken 😉 

The Spatchcock chicken came out with a great taste, used Apple wood for the smoke, nice and sweet smoke. I actually preferred it to the Beer Can chook.

Cant remember the name of the Rub I used but it was the best so far.

Before and after:

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

• Like 1

I cooked up some beef on Friday in the form of patties and sausages. But that was just on the gas BBQ. Swmbo asked me about eating meat on good Friday, I said I'm not Catholic so why would I bother following their "laws" any more than any other religion. A fun time was had by all. 

Later today I'll be firing up the smoker for another batch of bacon. A piece of loin roast from the butcher, this one has barely any fat on it which is a difference from the usual loin roasts I get from there. I'm sure the bacon will be just as good though, nothing beats home made. After that I'm planning on watching the Hawks and Cats game.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

We eat fish Friday just for the reason we always have 😶. I did a planked salmon, the timber caught fire big time, saved it though, just.

mmm bacon, ive got some time off this week and reckon I’ll do one myself since you keep telling us about it 🙂 I found a pork loin in Coles Saturday, which might be a good candidate. 

Can you share your brine method?

All I do is mix the brine up in a large pot, boil it, let it cool then fridge it overnight. Next day put the loin or whatever in, weigh it down with a saucer or small plate, and leave it in there for however long I feel it needs to fully penetrate the meat. 

I've found the length of time depends more on the thickness of the piece rather than the weight of it. 

Smoked the bacon earlier, then watched the footy. We are having scotch fillet tonight, and since the smoker was still hot I threw them in there at 3 quarter time, along with some oak pellets in foil. Just took them out about 5 minutes ago to sear each side in the pan. Looking forward to seeing how they go. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I cooked up some beef on Friday in the form of patties and sausages. But that was just on the gas BBQ. Swmbo asked me about eating meat on good Friday, I said I'm not Catholic so why would I bother following their "laws" any more than any other religion. A fun time was had by all. 

I'm not religious either but for some unknown reason I show some respect to the "No red meat policy" on Good Friday each year. I'll still eat chicken or seafood though.

One year I messed up & forgot & bought some Macca's or something & halfway through the burger I remembered, & then cursed myself. 😬

If there is a God I think he did too, because he's been punishing me ever since! 😜 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 4