Coopers Community

First Run Pale - New unit

Smashed Crabs

Well finished my first run on the new system finally and wow a lot of lessons learnt. Missed target volume by 1.5L and missed est ABV by 4 points.. need to look at my crush size. Made the mistake of pouring all the grain in @ once without slow pouring and stirring (door rang and was like f#ck it) then mixing I only had a plastic paddle .. no bueno need to get me a more sturdier mash paddle. Mash seemed dry to my poor pouring method so added more water .. then activated the pump and it was nearly overflowing after a few mins lol .. had to keep a eye on it and switch it off n on, didn't realize the mash raised about 7litres with the pump on. All in all, no overflows, no issues with  the unit, used the immersion chiller .. will cube next time. Positives .. piece of piss to use, noticed considerably less trub going into the FV, reaching Temps is efficient for a electric unit and finally cleaning was easy.

Nearly forgot I only used the manual function on the unit so didn't use the timer functions on the unit .. maybe 2morrow🤣

7 litres is a big rise. Was it foam?

The mash wouldn’t be dry because of the pouring method, it would have been the water to grain ratio. What was it? Did you also sparge?

Give it a few brews and you will work out the system and hit your numbers consistently.

Yeah I poured / stirred turned pump on and it went about crazy high. Wasn't foam but I went above my 3.5L per kg added about 4 + litres more due to a knee jerk reaction to my poor pouring method. Would of been fine if I left it but hey putting it down to my first time and not researching.

Have you considered underletting your strike water ? 

Only difference is that you fill mash tun from the ball valve once grain is already in the tun. 

Completely avoids doughballs and you don't need to stir until later in the mash when it's far easier. 

Are you recirculating during the mash?  

Archived