Jump to content
Titan

It's Kegging Time 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My gas bottles last between 10 and 12 months like they should. 

Thanks for the photo Kelsey - yep - reckon your CO2 bottles ought to do you twelve months I suspect as long as you keep an eye on any potential leaks...

 

image.png.8ded62b39f47d95ad9444e7bd915ac69.png

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon that'd last me til I die 😂

The other "advantage" of the beer going flat due to a leak is that's all that happens if the gas bottle is off. Easy to carbonate it again once the leak is fixed. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've decided I need to start again with this CO2 system of mine. 

Im thinking that ill replace, all the o rings with silicone o rings..........again. 

Replace all the gas lines, extend them all so there is no pulling and what not on the gas disconnects

Replace the push in spitters with a manifold. 

Replace all the gas ball lock keg fittings.

If it then buggers up, I'm doing something royally wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you get the manifold, seal up all the threads with silicone/thread sealant as well. The stuff they come with isn't that great, well that was my experience anyway. I only had one leaky valve but did all of them just in case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking maybe one of the John guest manifolds. Reckon they’d be alright?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue really is still at the keg posts I feel but I’m just going to replace everything anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They probably are, I dunno what mine is but even it only had one crappy seal. I just didn't wanna take the risk on one or more of the others failing at some point. 

I have JG push in fittings for the disconnects which have been fine though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers mate. 

I just want to get this thing to a point where a bottle of gas lasts longer than 4 kegs of beer ha ha ha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No, it shouldn't. Anyway, hopefully I can get this thing sorted before the kegerator ends up on the front lawn like that commando dry hopped beer that time.

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’ve sorted this out today! Mate this was a mission. 

Went in and got some more SS gas disconnects, gas line and step less clamps. 

Ordered some other gear they didn’t have. 

Got home, wrong size tube, wrong size clamps...........

consequently chucked the sh!ts again!

Went back in after reordering ver the phone. 

Set it up. No leaks!!!!! Awesome. Will turn the gas off before bed though

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

So I’ve sorted this out today! Mate this was a mission. 

Went in and got some more SS gas disconnects, gas line and step less clamps. 

Ordered some other gear they didn’t have. 

Got home, wrong size tube, wrong size clamps...........

consequently chucked the sh!ts again!

Went back in after reordering ver the phone. 

Set it up. No leaks!!!!! Awesome. Will turn the gas off before bed though

Good stuff! Fingers crossed you'll be right now. 

My gas has been on for about a week now so I think I'd have an empty c02 bottle if I had a leak. All seems good so far. Those CMB disconnects are certainly much better quality then the cheap ones I had. 

Edited by MitchellScott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never turned my gas off and thankfully I haven’t had any leaks yet 😥 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was turning the gas off every night when I first set up my Kegerator being paranoid about leaks, it seemed to loose pressure overnight but finally worked out that it was gas being absorbed into the beer for carbonation and not a leak.

But 6 months down the track, no leaks and leave it on all the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to turn the gas off, no leaks over night. Thank Christ for that. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Forgot to turn the gas off, no leaks over night. Thank Christ for that. 

Kegerator would've been on the front lawn if it did I suspect 🤣

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Kegerator would've been on the front lawn if it did I suspect 🤣

Something bad would have happened that’s for sure. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

CMB disconnects are certainly much better quality then the cheap ones I had. 

I thought that too. I had those CMB disconnects. I don’t like them..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

I thought that too. I had those CMB disconnects. I don’t like them..........

Mine are much better then the no name ones I had before. Time will tell I guess but so far so good. 

The other ones I had leaked when the disconnect was pushed to the side and also released a bit of gas when taking on or off.. Both of which the CMB ones don't do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The disconnect on my spare gas line does that too, but the ones inside the kegerator on the kegs don't, not that they ever move anyway. They are plastic but I am unsure what brand, I think they're keg king. The liquid ones are equally fine, although one died recently. That's when I was having trouble with that right hand tap pouring properly, and I found it to be the disconnect itself when I was draining a keg not connected to a tap. If I pushed the thing down it sprayed out like they normally do but just sitting there it was very slow. I think the spring might have worn out or something. I replaced it in the kegerator with the old spare one and it works fine now.

What are these CMB disconnects?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The disconnect on my spare gas line does that too, but the ones inside the kegerator on the kegs don't, not that they ever move anyway. They are plastic but I am unsure what brand, I think they're keg king. The liquid ones are equally fine, although one died recently. That's when I was having trouble with that right hand tap pouring properly, and I found it to be the disconnect itself when I was draining a keg not connected to a tap. If I pushed the thing down it sprayed out like they normally do but just sitting there it was very slow. I think the spring might have worn out or something. I replaced it in the kegerator with the old spare one and it works fine now.

What are these CMB disconnects?

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/original-cmb-cornelius-liquid-ball-lock-disconnect-barbed

From what I could work out from my research is they are as close to the quality of the genuine Cernelius ones.

Made in Germany and everyone raves about the quality. Bit more expensive but worth not losing a keg or gas over $10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poured the first from my latest keg, it's been sitting at 12 psi since Saturday. Big head, reasonbly flat beer. I've always thought this was overcarbonation, but seeing as it hasn't been in there long it has me questioning the results. Probably have around 1500mm of 4id line from keg to pluto, so I'm thinking I need longer line (around 3-4 metres?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Smash said:

Poured the first from my latest keg, it's been sitting at 12 psi since Saturday. Big head, reasonbly flat beer. I've always thought this was overcarbonation, but seeing as it hasn't been in there long it has me questioning the results. Probably have around 1500mm of 4id line from keg to pluto, so I'm thinking I need longer line (around 3-4 metres?)

seems like it. Theres lots of keg line calculators online you could use to get it spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be something causing turbulence as well. Unfortunately that isn't always easy to find. You'd think 1.5 metres of 4mm ID line would be enough to prevent foaming. I wouldn't go out to 3 or 4 metres, but maybe 2 metres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...