Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Finally emptied the little blended keg, got half a schooner before it started to splutter. Closed the tap before it dragged a bunch of yeast sludge into the glass though. It's nice when you get a little warning 😂

Anyway, I'm now gonna put the FWH Cascade ale in and quick carb it overnight on 45-50psi. Before work tomorrow I'll turn off the gas, then before I go back in the arvo I'll burp the keg and put the gas back on at serving pressure, so I'll be able to try a glass tomorrow night after work. 

• Like 4

On 6/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Smash said:

1.7kg Unhopped LME
1.0kg LDM
0.5kg Light Crystal
0.5kg Wheat Malt
5gm Centennial & Cascade @ 30
40gm Centennial & Cascade @ 5/10
15gm Galaxy @ 5 (Leftovers)
40gm Centennial & Cascade @ 4 days
US-05

27.8 IBU
14.9 EBC
4.6% Kegged 

Put this in the keg Saturday. Didn't have the setup for a closed transfer, so just siphoned it in. Colour is bright yellow & hazy like an NEIPA, which I wasn't aiming for, but the late hops would be the factor. Gas is on the low side so hopefully it lasts until its carbed up! 

• Like 2

Wheat malt is probably adding a little bit of haze too. 

I made a bit of a muckup with the keg I put in yesterday, forgot to turn the gas off this morning so in all it got about 23 hours. As a result I changed my process a little and burped the keg as soon as the gas was turned off just now, and will burp it again tonight before serving pressure goes back on. Hopefully it's not over carbonated but at least I can easily de gas it if I need to and still drink it. 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, The Captain!! said:

Wife just told me my gas is out again. I’m getting so sick of this problem it’s not funny. 

Its all “quality” equipment. I just really don’t see how it’s effing leaking all the time!!!!!

Grrrrrrrr 

Are you trying to help me from not falling into the Kegging trap Kapitan?

When I was bottling a thousand little bottles the other day I nearly started looking for kegging gear on the net.... I shall print this out and stick it on the fridge to try to help control my urge to move across to large vessels ; )

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Are you trying to help me from not falling into the Kegging trap Kapitan?

When I was bottling a thousand little bottles the other day I nearly started looking for kegging gear on the net.... I shall print this out and stick it on the fridge to try to help control my urge to move across to large vessels ; )

I still have issues but I’m trying to get them sorted. I’ll never go back to bottling the styles that don’t get an advantage from bottle fermentation 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I still have issues but I’m trying to get them sorted. I’ll never go back to bottling the styles that don’t get an advantage from bottle fermentation 

… so what styles DO gain an advantage from bottle fermentation besides say Hefeweizen or Coopers Sparkling Ale clones?

27 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do it BB2, DOOOO ITTTTTT!! 

Burk burk burk burrggguurrrkkk 🐓 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

… so what styles DO gain an advantage from bottle fermentation besides say Hefeweizen or Coopers Sparkling Ale clones?

I mainly brew pale ales, IPAs, dry Irish stouts and reds. All benefit from kegging. 

My bottle ferments are Saison’s. They benefit from ageing a little too. Which also helps in a king brown

ive also just started a experiment with the Kviek yeast strain to see how the bottling keeps and ages 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Nice work. I remember when I first had beer on tap, it was quite the novelty. I drank more than usual for a few weeks due to going and pouring another one "to make sure it was still working properly" 😂😂

I'm sure that will happen to me too 🤣😂.

Although I'm going away this weekend so that's probably a good thing hahaha.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

First pour from my newly built keezer fridge. 

Finished it last night and couldn't wait to pour one off her 😍

I’ve had kegs for a few years and still get excited to pour a beer. 

The excitement never dies!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beer Baron said:

What’s your address?? 

I’ll guard it for you and I promise I won’t drink any😏

Are you from Telstra and about to tell me my phone will be disconnected if I don't pay you too? 😆😆😆

Hopefully we don't spring any leaks while I'm gone, that would be disastrous.

Mitch.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Turn the whole gas bottle off if you're worried about it. At least that way you definitely won't lose any gas. 

I will monitor it closely this week and check for leaks. I think if it passes this week with no dramas we should be right.

Although gas leaks can be hard to notice sometimes. I did the soapy water check before putting the keg in the fridge and it seemed OK so fingers crossed 🙏

You're probably fine. Usually if there's a leak, you lose an entire gas bottle in a matter of days. Happened to me once, courtesy of a shitty seal on one of the manifold valves. It was repaired, as were all other threaded parts on the thing and haven't had a problem since. My gas bottles last between 10 and 12 months like they should. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Hopefully we don't spring any leaks while I'm gone, that would be disastrous. Mitch.

I am not Kegging Expert but have issues re going away and water tanks - and pipes - and gas bottles - reckon Kelsey has some good advice... turn yer CO2 off before you go... safety first.  At least that way if yer beer is flat when you get back you have eliminated part of the potential leaks... just a thought.