Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Beer supply is a function of both the amount you brew and the amount you drink.

Lagering aside, I have a sneaking suspicion that John may show more restraint than Kelsey in the latter category 😜

• Haha 1

I could do that depending on the time of year; it wouldn't work in summer very well given the hot temps we get, especially outside where the fermenting happens. I'll just stick to the original plan of the second fridge, because I can also use it for curing meats during cold crashing. 

I never really ran out when I used to go to the pub every weekend 😂, and although I drink quite a bit less now than I did then, it's pretty much all at home these days. Still cheaper buying a couple of cartons every so often than pissing up at the pub every week though 😜

Cheaper than the pub by far.  And cheaper with HB by far. 

Some interesting Calcs below... happy to stand corrected.  Assumptions are associated with only one person consuming product.

Assume the process is Vat/Fridge Restricted and that as soon as one brew is done a new one can be started and there is unlimited keg/bottle volume.                                            

And that with prior storage there is no time restriction to wait until a brew is mature as there were previous mature brews in store - rolling maturation schedule.

Such an equilibrium or pseudo-steady state may take some time to achieve and will be readily disrupted by visitors etc. 

Then with a 23L production per brew and brewing 365 days per year        

L/brew    23    Litres
    Lagers    21    days
    Ales       14    days      

image.png.cada036d1121b7f8698887988ca72a22.png

But if you back off and do four nights off and three nights on...                

image.png.aba905d9245a87f4f34c048e71af589d.png

So depending upon if you want to consume 5 night per week, as a single person, you can generally have between 4-6 stubbies (eqvt), or if constrain to 3 night per week 6-10 or in Euro size equivalents 8-12.

Which really is a fairly sizable lot per week.  From one Vat/Fridge.  With the range depending upon whether brewing Lager (longer ferment) or Ales (more rapid ferment).

One severe boundary condition assumption is no down-time for the Fridge/FV  ; )

Conclusion... can brew quite a lot with one fridge/FV if keep a roll on.

Just a thought. 🤔

• Like 1

I probably go through about a carton a week on average, weeknights Monday to Thursday I generally just have one glass, Friday nights 4-6 (depending on when I get home from work), Saturday about 8-10, and Sunday maybe 3-4. I mainly use schooners but sometimes I have pints. As a result the kegs only last a little over two weeks once they're tapped, being 19 litres. 

There's two choices here, drink less or use two fermenters 😜

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's two choices here, drink less or use two fermenters 😜

Weren't you saying somewhere that you had to start working on your waistline a bit? Probably narrows it down to one of those choices... 😋

Or both I guess... You could always ferment more and drink less. Might have to sell @Ben 10 some of your kegs at mate's rates to fill from his 7 fermenters.

Cheers, 

John 

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

...Lagering aside, I have a sneaking suspicion that John may show more restraint than Kelsey in the latter category 😜

Don't kid yourself guys. I look at John as THE MASTER of concealment & dispersal drinking. Yes, yes indeed there is such a thing. He has set new standards the rest of us can only wish to attain.

I've been tracking him & trying to learn his mysterious & clever ways for sometime. One minute he's posting about 5-6 beers the "Friday Night Six Pack" thread, then he's doing a little 8.5 litre brew, then a few posts of his will pop up in the "Today's Tastings" thread, then a full 23 litre brew in the "Brew Day" thread etc..etc. It all adds up!

His very cleverly timed inconsistencies are the key I reckon. 😉

I reckon he's even got his missus fooled! The following scene is a regular at the PorscheMad911 household. (Linky)

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I just meant an alcoholic GB that tastes kinda like Bundaberg 

Cos BB1 and BB2 both believe that the best Ginger Beer in the World is Bundaberg... unless you brew it yerself 😝

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

For anyone that had made an alcoholic GB, should I use a different fermenter??

I wasn’t sure if the flavour would stick around and ruin future beer batches. 

Beer Baron

Good question mate... I did some GB years ago in Plazzi and cannot remember it causing big issues later - was very very good with OP Rum... killer punch drop.

But if you have Stainless FV I think it would be somewhat irrelevant...  as next to nil flavo_ur adsorption onto 304SS surfaces.

Must remember to send note about dodgy American spellcheck on this site... FLAVOUR is FLAVOUR not FLAVOR

Just now, MartyG1525230263 said:

the Mangrove Jack Ginger beer is very very good .... can be pimped with more ginger and some cinnamon ... done to instructions it is around 4.5% -5% depending on the fermentables

Cheers Marty - is it full of artificial sweetener tho?

Ingredients - Malt extract (barley) natural ginger flavouring, hop extract, dried brewing yeast (yeast, emulsifier (E491)) sweetener (acesulfame potassium), dextrose monohydrate (corn).

Guess that if you want some sort of sweetness.. unless you added sweetness post ferment into a keg... that sugar will be fermented out before you hit the bottle and if remains in the bottle is causing potential for overcarb or worse explosions?

So is fermented Ginger Beer supposed to be sweet?  

My memory in ages past it was but that was because it utilized non-fermentable artificial sweeteners?

Are there natural non-fermentable sweeteners?

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Marty - is it full of artificial sweetener tho?

No idea ... very much a beer that is ginger flavoured i usually add some Chilli in a hop bag ... very much a beer not soft drink flavour ... more like Bundy rather than Kirks ,,, 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

No idea ... very much a beer that is ginger flavoured i usually add some Chilli in a hop bag ... very much a beer not soft drink flavour ... more like Bundy rather than Kirks ,,, 

Yeah... used to make Chilli-Cordial years ago.... reckon Ginger-Chilli Beer is the way to go...  I might look into a Malted-Rice-and-corn-brew-non-gluten thing and then add Ginger and Chilli to that for the Gluten-Free consumer contingent that needs to be brewed for 😝 

Maybe put in some fragrant hops as well?

Anyone out there done anything like the above - any ideas - especially Gluten Free ideas... 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

53 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good question mate... I did some GB years ago in Plazzi and cannot remember it causing big issues later - was very very good with OP Rum... killer punch drop.

But if you have Stainless FV I think it would be somewhat irrelevant...  as next to nil flavo_ur adsorption onto 304SS surfaces.

Must remember to send note about dodgy American spellcheck on this site... FLAVOUR is FLAVOUR not FLAVOR

I have a SS fermenter so I might give it a go!!!

• Like 1

Kegged the latest 4% stout. Changed it up with S04 this time to see how it went. Fast carbed a bottle and it’s really good. 

Will have to see from the keg but that’s such an easy stout it’s out of control 

At this stage I still like the liquid yeast but the wife won’t know the difference 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 2