Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Keg just blew on the 3c's pale ale with mosaic. Just in time for what's in the fermenter, barely. It has been done two days ago but I like to let it clean up a little and meld together, so while I usually cold crash, this beer will be hazy as anyways, I will probably clean the keg tomorrow and keg this batch and set it at 40psi for a day and try it.

20200225_194306.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey keg lords.

ive got a 2.6kg gas bottle. How many kegs worth should I get from that bad boy Song with force carbing each fresh keggy?

TIA

couldn't tell ya. Ive actually not been through a full co2 bottle just from absorption and pouring. 

ALWAYS had a leak somewhere.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaned the two empty kegs today along with their lines and taps in preparation to keg the two brews in fermenters tomorrow. The porter will be left behind the bar to age for winter, with the other one going in to gas up with the bastard blend keg so I'll have beer on tap again Friday night and beyond. Brew day Saturday, gotta make up a recipe Friday. 

Would have done another one next weekend but it's a double header at golf playing Pacific Harbour on the Saturday and Bribie island on the Sunday.

• Like 1

One of my kegs leaked about 2 or 3 lts of beer into the bottom of my keezer yesterday I fixed the leak by changing out a rubber washer in the liquid post luckily enough I was changing out another keg and caught it in time  , now a day later the keg that was leaking is just pouring foam not sure why or how to fix any ideas on what I can do ?

Edited by Stoobs

I think it was overcarbed. So, in my mind, the keg had a small leak while the gas was still on it and the CO2 was adding more gas to the keg because of the small leak, like you left the tap on so the gas is always trying to balance out the empty space, which would lead to overcarbonation.

Try unhooking it from the gas, burping it to release all the gas and see how it pours after sitting disconnected for a while. That should allow it time to regain its pressure from the excess CO2 and allow you to pour a beer or two and then connect back up to the gas at serving pressure. The start of the pour might be foamy but should start to pour right halfway through the glass, is my experience. The next glass should be right and then I connect it back up.

Good luck and hope it is an easy fix.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Try unhooking it from the gas, burping it to release all the gas and see how it pours after sitting disconnected for a while. That should allow it time to regain its pressure from the excess CO2 and allow you to pour a beer or two and then connect back up to the gas at serving pressure. 

Do you reckon an hour or so would be enough time or do you reckon overnight ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Do you reckon an hour or so would be enough time or do you reckon overnight ?

I would try it after an hour and see where it is at, disconnected from the gas. If It is pour fast and foamy then just leave it overnight but if you can connect the regulator to it you can see where it is sitting and monitor. That is what I do. But it does take a while, hopefully not overnight but if you are keen to try it, just pour a small glass every hour or so. That will also help to release the excess co2.

If you have to leave it overnight, I would burp it one more time or twice before bed depending on how overcarbed it is. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Norris! said:

I think it was overcarbed. So, in my mind, the keg had a small leak while the gas was still on it and the CO2 was adding more gas to the keg because of the small leak, like you left the tap on so the gas is always trying to balance out the empty space, which would lead to overcarbonation.

Try unhooking it from the gas, burping it to release all the gas and see how it pours after sitting disconnected for a while. That should allow it time to regain its pressure from the excess CO2 and allow you to pour a beer or two and then connect back up to the gas at serving pressure. The start of the pour might be foamy but should start to pour right halfway through the glass, is my experience. The next glass should be right and then I connect it back up.

Good luck and hope it is an easy fix.

No, if there was a leak then it wouldn't have carbonated much if at all. Remember for carbonation to occur whether in bottles or kegs the vessel needs to be completely sealed. If there's any way for gas to escape then it won't carbonate because it can't build and maintain enough pressure. The gas cylinder/regulator won't increase the pressure by itself just because of a leak either. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No, if there was a leak then it wouldn't have carbonated much if at all. Remember for carbonation to occur whether in bottles or kegs the vessel needs to be completely sealed. If there's any way for gas to escape then it won't carbonate because it can't build and maintain enough pressure. The gas cylinder/regulator won't increase the pressure by itself just because of a leak either. 

Yeah it's definitely not over carbed because I ended up leaving it over night and when I checked it this morning I tried a test pour and it literally dribbled out so I burped the keg and it had a minimal build up of gas , so I attached the gas line again and did a test pour and it is still pouring foam , not sure what the issue is or what I should do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Fair enough and sorry it didn't work. I was thinking it was already carbed up and then it started leaking while the gas was on it, leading to overcarbonation, but that wasn't the issue.

If it is overcarbed and the lines are clean not sure what else it could be?

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Fair enough and sorry it didn't work. I was thinking it was already carbed up and then it started leaking while the gas was on it, leading to overcarbonation, but that wasn't the issue.

If it is overcarbed and the lines are clean not sure what else it could be?

Even then it would just go flat, not carbonate further. 

Something could be causing turbulence, which would lead to foaming. 

Any ideas on what to do , I've thought of attaching a black liquid disconnect to my gas line and giving the liquid line in the keg a blow out incase there is something in there and if that doesn't work maybe transfering it to another keg 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

Any ideas on what to do , I've thought of attaching a black liquid disconnect to my gas line and giving the liquid line in the keg a blow out incase there is something in there and if that doesn't work maybe transfering it to another keg 

I would do the following. Sanitise a small rag.  Turn off the gas. Lift the relief valve. Unscrew the the liquid out post be careful and dont loose the spring and poppet. Remove the dip tube and cover the hole with the rag. Examine the post for debris and the dip tube for any holes near the top of the tube. I cant remember if they are one piece tubes or if there is a weld at the top.  There is also an o ring under the top of the tube if this is shagged this could cause this issue and you would also loose co2. Follow the reverse to put it all back together.

• Like 1