Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was time, water and quality. But mainly quality of beer. 

More time with the family? ha ha ha. 

Just put your hourly rate into the equation. 

My brother and I once made a tomato relish mostly of home grown ingredients and my wife worked it out to be $200 a 500ml jar.

• Haha 4

Hi Guys - Kegging question - How many kegs do you have to support your brewing endeavours.

I currently have 10 brews in bottles (at varying stages) and two in my fermenters.  I also like to drink 4 or 5 different beers in a session. 

Do I need something like 10-12 kegs?  How do you manage your kegging arrangements?

Cheers Shamus

I have 6 beer kegs and two taps (the third tap is soda water). Haven't got room for anything more. I usually put two full ones in at the same time then try to fill two more before they both run out. That hasn't been successfully done ever I don't think hence the second brew fridge coming soon 😂

Your situation differs if you like to drink a variety in a session. You'd probably need 4-5 taps so I'd say 10-12 kegs would be the go. That way there will always be an empty one available to fill with the latest batch.

• Thanks 1

I run four kegs three taps, and I bottle condition my Saison’s. Its rarely I have three full kegs at one time but haven’t run out completely. Still trying to find my groove with timing. When ya mates come round for a couple and they smash two kegs it’s not fantastic for timing of brew day ha ha ha

ill probably get another two kegs though. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Your situation differs if you like to drink a variety in a session

Thanks for the advice.

I like variety, but it suits my bottling situation too.  I am interested in the various practices of you keggers on the Forum.  I will probably have to adjust my preference for variety to simplicity.  4-5 taps and 10-12 kegs is not a practical option for me ATM.

Keep the information coming.  Cheers Shamus

I usually take the soda water off when I have a stout or porter on tap so I can still have the two regular drinking ones going at the same time, but that's usually only for a couple of months over winter. 

If I just replaced kegs as they emptied then I wouldn't run out either but they wouldn't get as much conditioning time. It would also be a fn pain when the rear keg emptied which is why I just put two in at a time. I always make sure the rear keg runs out last, so it's usually a lager. Making it run out last gives it more lagering, and other than a few samples I don't usually touch it until the other keg runs out. It might get boring for some essentially drinking one batch at a time but I don't mind it.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

What do you guys use for cleaning lines?

I use sodium perc and run it from my keg and out of my tap then I rinse the keg out with water and then flush the lines with water also

Edited by Beer Baron
  • Thanks 1

I use perc too. Usually fill the keg just under half with hot tap water (after rinsing the dregs out), a scoop of perc whatever that works out at, then roll it around for about 5 minutes before running it through the tap. Then thoroughly rinse the keg with hot water, put a few litres in and run that through the tap as well. Keg, line and tap clean and ready for the next beer, probably takes about 20 minutes if that.

I also pressurise the keg after the hot water rinse and store it like that, I figure if it's full of CO2 then it will stay sanitary. I do give it a starsan rinse before filling with beer again though. 

I have dismantled my taps recently and they were clean as inside, so it's nice to know cleaning in place does the job. 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, if I wanted to take some beer up to the rents for dinner out of the keg (bottles aren't ready yet) without taking the full keg, what would be the best way without losing carbonation? Pour straight into PET bottles and seal? I only have a Pluto gun also. 

1 minute ago, Smash said:

Hey guys, if I wanted to take some beer up to the rents for dinner out of the keg (bottles aren't ready yet) without taking the full keg, what would be the best way without losing carbonation? Pour straight into PET bottles and seal? I only have a Pluto gun also. 

Growler?