Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Hey there @Red devil 44 Red expert on the gas fitting side of life ; )

Mate am looking at purchasing freezer (prolly new) and am wondering whether I can tip it on its side to take home...

Then put it back on its feet... leave for 48 hours... then fire it up...

Talked to someone recently who seemed to think that tipping freezers on their side was a bad look...

Guess I could work out how to borrow a ute and get it back home that way too...

Cheers @Red devil 44 Red

... or any other Brewing experts with knowledge of Freezers newish models....   ; )

I'm no expert mate but when i got my kegerator, the suppliers told me if i lay it on its side to fit wheels etc, make sure i stand upright for 24 hours after to make sure all the oils etc that got displaced , have time to make their way back to where they should be and that there shouldnt be any issues.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there @Red devil 44 Red expert on the gas fitting side of life ; )

Mate am looking at purchasing freezer (prolly new) and am wondering whether I can tip it on its side to take home...

Then put it back on its feet... leave for 48 hours... then fire it up...

Talked to someone recently who seemed to think that tipping freezers on their side was a bad look...

Guess I could work out how to borrow a ute and get it back home that way too...

Cheers @Red devil 44 Red

... or any other Brewing experts with knowledge of Freezers newish models....   ; )

I did a restricted electrical/refrigeration ticket back in the 90,s, and was told, do not lay fridges/freezers on their side, it has oil in the refrigeration which does not settle back down once moved.

Cheers RD 🍺

• Thanks 1

My limited understanding and experince is that it is OK.  They have changed design quite a bit over the years and as long as you stand it upright and leave it all will be OK  .... I have moved 3 fridges in my ute in the last 12 months all laying down and no issue. The only one that did not survive was an old one I gave away. When the guy got it home he let it sit for 24 hours turned it on it shorted and caught fire.  But as i say it was old, my bet it was from the 80's or 90's. Shows how old it was it was a "Rank Arena" and I think that brand is no longer made. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:45 PM, The Captain!! said:

So I’m having trouble getting my fridge cold. It sits at 15c or there abouts. So over this fridge hey. 

Nothing worse that a fridge that wont get to the temp you want. I know it is a school boy error but I assume you have it turned to the lowest setting.  Silly question of course you do. 

Cheers Brewing Refrigeration Experts...

have had both of the above:

1. Not good/bad idea

2. Ok if first you leave for 24 hours stood back up to its correct position.

Think I should try to get hold of a ute in which it may remain upright as first port of call...

Edited by Bearded Burbler

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Nothing worse that a fridge that wont get to the temp you want. I know it is a school boy error but I assume you have it turned to the lowest setting.  Silly question of course you do. 

Yeah it’s now set at -5, previously set at 2 and got to 2, now sitting at 6

Im annoyed 

• Like 1

Get a thermometer and measure the temperature of a keg of water or a glass of water sitting inside the fridge and see how that compares to whatever the display is saying. 

My new one is pretty accurate after doing this with a keg of water and adjusting the calibration of the display to line it up with real measurements. 

21 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I did a restricted electrical/refrigeration ticket back in the 90,s, and was told, do not lay fridges/freezers on their side, it has oil in the refrigeration which does not settle back down once moved.

Cheers RD 🍺

Red are you able to advise regarding the pressure to gas Stout up using Beergas with the greater level of Nitrogen in it?  I had it running at 12psi or so but was not gassed up at all much at a test pour tho I have not got the Stout Tap..

Guess there could be leakage - but from the PRV there was always pressure to be released...

31 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Red are you able to advise regarding the pressure to gas Stout up using Beergas with the greater level of Nitrogen in it?  I had it running at 12psi or so but was not gassed up at all much at a test pour tho I have not got the Stout Tap..

Guess there could be leakage - but from the PRV there was always pressure to be released...

There shouldn’t be any leakage from the PRV on the keg, unless it’s faulty, have you soapy water tested it and the tounge of the keg for any leaks ?

As for gassing up, are you slow carbing or trying fast carbing ?

I know from my faded knowledge N2/CO2 mix is a slower moving gas with more density 😃

I don’t drink Stout so I’ve never tried to carb one up, when I worked in beer reticulation the kegs were already gassed up by the brewer, so never had to do one from scratch, sorry I can’t offer more assistance mate ☹️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I know from my faded knowledge N2/CO2 mix is a slower moving gas with more density 😃

I don’t drink Stout so I’ve never tried to carb one up, when I worked in beer reticulation the kegs were already gassed up by the brewer, so never had to do one from scratch, sorry I can’t offer more assistance mate ☹️

Beaut Red.  Mate I guess this is a massive learning curve - my near flat AG stout tasted great with Beamish nuances - but fkkkkk I need some fizz.

I think mate that I did just have it for like a week at serving pressure - if I do that for C02 kegs I leave it for two weeks - so maybe I just needed more gas - for longer.

I have arc'd it up to 40PSI and hopefully that will push things along. 

Thanks mate.... all a bit distressing after all the ffffkkkn about getting the fancy-schmancy-beergas and then not delivering... ah well.

Guess I havna got the stout tap anyway...  and the beer in the keg is ok... just needs a nudge along with more gas ; )

• Like 1

Just a quick, potentially obvious question regarding keg conditioning.....

my current set up only allows for two kegs to be kept in the fridge at all times. Would it be wrong/detrimental and or poor practice to keg a beer and then store it somewhere at reasonably stable temp  ie the down stairs cupboard to await force carbing when there’s space in my fridge?  Or does it really need to be kept cold if hanging around for a bit??

i dont really want to naturally carbonate the keg. 

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Otto Von Blotto cheers! 
i doubt I’d really have anything sit there for anymore then a few weeks but my desire to brew kinda out weights my drinking habits. 

I’m the same mate.  All I want to do is brew brew brew. But then I have three full 19 litre kegs on tap  and I only partake on the weekend. I lowballed some random on gumtree earlier for a brand new corny keg cos I talked myself into having an extra one so I can age / condition a lager or a stout, secretly convincing myself an extra keg will fix that issue. 
  He told me to fck off 

• Haha 3

Question for all re Natural Carbed IPA in Keg - a small one 9.5L - left for a few months at ambient - then into fridge - for a week or so at serving temp - tried to pour - got plenty gas in there - a bit of sludge - and then nothing at all - suspect the take-off pipe (dip tube) is blocked... any advice or similar experience anyone?

Assume I need to degas the keg - unscrew the post and dip tube - and clean the dip tube and try again?

And am wondering whether natural carb might be better avoided in future?  Tho did not seem to be an issue with my big kegs....

Edited by Bearded Burbler

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Question for all re Natural Carbed IPA in Keg - a small one 9.5L - left for a few months at ambient - then into fridge - for a week or so at serving temp - tried to pour - got plenty gas in there - a bit of sludge - and then nothing at all - suspect the take-off pipe (dip tube) is blocked... any advice or similar experience anyone?

Assume I need to degas the keg - unscrew the post and dip tube - and clean the dip tube and try again?

And am wondering whether natural carb might be better avoided in future?  Tho did not seem to be an issue with my big kegs....

BB could you not do Kelsey's keg carbonation trick and hook up a gas to beer line and push a bit of CO2 backwards down the beer out ball lock and clear the dip tube.  I refer to that 35 page kegging thread.  Might save opening it up, but no experience here just thinking out aloud.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1