Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

G'day All, gunna try and keg my first batch tonight if time permits. 

I'd like to try and have it ready for Saturday if that's possible. Am I right in thinking I can set it to 40 psi for 24 hours, release the pressure and set to 12 psi to serve?

Also, I'm going to be using a picnic tap. I have carbonated water and didn't take any measurements or calculations on line length for that. Do I need to find a specific length for the beer if using the picnic tap? I've heard yes and no.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hey Popo, your carbonation method sounds good, that’s what I do for my kegs.

I have a picnic tap about 2.5m long but I turn my serving pressure down a couple of PSI when serving at a bbq out of my mobile esky.

Thanks @Red devil 44. You're a champ. I'll give that a go and see how I fair. It'll be for a BBQ but I might take backups just in case I can't figure it out on the day.

45 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Here’s my portable bbq rig I built Popo, just fill with ice  🤣🤣

You are the Portable Beer Meister Red?!!

So what is the Ice Well constructed out of?  Two eskies somehow joined together?

Is the bottom portion a wheelie esky anyway that then has become taller by you adding another esky on top?

Come what may, Cobber, you are the portable HB Kegging King!   Further insight into this magic apparatus would be appreciated.  Cheers bud. BB

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

You are the Portable Beer Meister Red?!!

So what is the Ice Well constructed out of?  Two eskies somehow joined together?

Is the bottom portion a wheelie esky anyway that then has become taller by you adding another esky on top?

Come what may, Cobber, you are the portable HB Kegging King!   Further insight into this magic apparatus would be appreciated.  Cheers bud. BB

It’s all one esky, I got a jigsaw & cut out the middle part to make one compartment, I’ll try to find a pic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Beautiful.  Thanks mate.  So is the material like a hard plastic or that foamy type softer material - what you had to cut through i.e. would it fret?

Plastic on the outside and inside, inside is like a harder foam so it didn’t fret or go everywhere, took me about 3 hrs to modify with gas lines, regulator, Pluto gun etc, few schooners 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Plastic on the outside and inside, inside is like a harder foam so it didn’t fret or go everywhere, took me about 3 hrs to modify with gas lines, regulator, Pluto gun etc, few schooners 🤣🤣

It is a cracking device Cobber!  A beautiful thing.  I could seal that edge with a bit of silastic/paint or other goo if it worried me I guess.

Gas lines pluto gun etc - all there - Yeah is very nice mate!!!

But I would have to invest in @Otto Von Blotto barrels of fish guts, gelatin, ground up poly-pipe and pill coatings, Alum, Ferric Chloride and some polycationic coagulant from the prep plant to knock me sed out wouldn't I otherwise I would shake the brew up every time I moved the big baby?   Guess if I serve a Coopers Sparkling type analogue or some Hefeweizen the more shaking the better... and if it is black stuff no-one will see anything anyway wadjareggin?  😎

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

It is a cracking device Cobber!  A beautiful thing.  I could seal that edge with a bit of silastic/paint or other goo if it worried me I guess.

Gas lines pluto gun etc - all there - Yeah is very nice mate!!!

But I would have to invest in @Otto Von Blotto barrels of fish guts, gelatin, ground up poly-pipe and pill coatings, Alum, Ferric Chloride and some polycationic coagulant from the prep plant to knock me sed out wouldn't I otherwise I would shake the brew up every time I moved the big baby?   Guess if I serve a Coopers Sparkling type analogue or some Hefeweizen the more shaking the better... and if it is black stuff no-one will see anything anyway wadjareggin?  😎

Cheers, I could easily have a big session with you mate, be a scream 🤣🤣

Dunno about the fish guts though 🤣🤣

Once there is ice packed around the keg it doesn’t shake it up too much, but my mates would drink anything though, even dirty old Hammer & Tongs 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Cheers, I could easily have a big session with you mate, be a scream 🤣🤣

Dunno about the fish guts though 🤣🤣

Once there is ice packed around the keg it doesn’t shake it up too much, but my mates would drink anything though, even dirty old Hammer & Tongs 🤣🤣

Luvyerwork 😝

Hi Red Devil.

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Here’s my portable bbq rig I built Popo, just fill with ice  🤣🤣

5407FB14-1757-4CF7-9261-EED468313470.jpeg

38CC66A5-89C7-4FD4-A88E-53010C9131F1.jpeg

Nice little portable rig. 👍

If you're gonna have them out openly on a hot day the ice will melt pretty rapidly if exposed to hot ambient temps. It can cause pouring problems (usually over-foaming) if temps of your gear elevate too high or the base beer temp gets above ideal serving temps.

I had a friend of friend who converted a big wine barrel to use as an outer insulation to a similar setup to this & encased a large plastic container inside to hold the keg(s) surrounded with ice & a font dual tap affixed to the top of the wine barrel lid that lifted off so you could drop in the kegs & ice etc. as needed. Was portable, looked great, & worked well.

A couple of things I've come across that work well are Techni dry ice packs & neoprene keg sleeves.

https://techniice.com/dry-ice-packs/heavy-duty-reusable-ice-packs.html

https://www.kegland.com.au/neoprene-keg-parka-jacket-for-19l-kegs.html

I can personally vouch for the dry ice packs. Awesome. They outlast ice by a considerable margin & I even proved their worth via a temp tracked primary ferment using them under ambient conditions to maintain a steady primary ferment temperature strapped around a FV over a 24 hour timeframe in the middle of summer.

The neoprene vests are basically a stubby/can cooler for your keg. Just good insulation.

Worth a look for those that take their kegs portable. I hope that helps.

Lusty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Red Devil.

Nice little portable rig. 👍

If you're gonna have them out openly on a hot day the ice will melt pretty rapidly if exposed to hot ambient temps. It can cause pouring problems (usually over-foaming) if temps of your gear elevate too high or the base beer temp gets above ideal serving temps.

I had a friend of friend who converted a big wine barrel to use as an outer insulation to a similar setup to this & encased a large plastic container inside to hold the keg(s) surrounded with ice & a font dual tap affixed to the top of the wine barrel lid that lifted off so you could drop in the kegs & ice etc. as needed. Was portable, looked great, & worked well.

A couple of things I've come across that work well are Techni dry ice packs & neoprene keg sleeves.

https://techniice.com/dry-ice-packs/heavy-duty-reusable-ice-packs.html

https://www.kegland.com.au/neoprene-keg-parka-jacket-for-19l-kegs.html

I can personally vouch for the dry ice packs. Awesome. They outlast ice by a considerable margin & I even proved their worth via a temp tracked primary ferment using them under ambient conditions to maintain a steady primary ferment temperature strapped around a FV over a 24 hour timeframe in the middle of summer.

The neoprene vests are basically a stubby/can cooler for your keg. Just good insulation.

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty.

Food for thought with the keg jackets, I checked they do come in 9.5L keg size.

I have a lid for it, but will look into those neoprene vests you mentioned.

Only use it for away games so to speak, my keezer at home is on wheels & have built a portable timber ramp 150mm high into my pool area, think ahead my old foreman used to drum into me 🤣🤣

cheers for the advice and help, most appreciated Lusty 🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

This shorttt-arrrse below is the only one from Bunno that I can locate so far RD... your festive fella is like four foot tall... this one for 90 bux is a short-arrrse joke?!

I got a good mate who I reckon could build me one out of some remnant steel pipe but I would need a Franna to go to a Party ; )

That'd be a good look wouldn't it?! Probably need its own concrete plinth to place it on so you didn't wreck your mate's pool decking? 😎

image.png.f2f4bd0f83f79aae312f8b172f94dc17.png

50 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Thanks for this Lusty.

And did you say also that those C02 Bulbs - one or so - would be enough to SERVE a well gassed 19L Keg?

Or was that a gassed up 9.5L Keg ?

It's just for portability if you don't need to bring the C02 bottle with it does simplify things a little... makes it a bit more portable?

Though as King of the Gas Game @Red devil 44 Red I could understand you not wanting to be seen dead at a Fest with a handful of dodgy tiny 16g bulbs in your kit... that would be a terrible disgrace ; )

image.png.70abdf54d952c82e66783fcba323692a.png

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks for this Lusty.

And did you say also that those C02 Bulbs - one or so - would be enough to SERVE a well gassed 19L Keg?

Yup those bulbs are designed to dispense a typical 19-21 litre already gassed/carbonated keg with ease.

The keg is meant to already be carbonated, & they just assist to maintain the pouring pressure.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

This shorttt-arrrse below is the only one from Bunno that I can locate so far RD... your festive fella is like four foot tall... this one for 90 bux is a short-arrrse joke?!

I got a good mate who I reckon could build me one out of some remnant steel pipe but I would need a Franna to go to a Party ; )

That'd be a good look wouldn't it?! Probably need its own concrete plinth to place it on so you didn't wreck your mate's pool decking? 😎

image.png.f2f4bd0f83f79aae312f8b172f94dc17.png

Ok, it was around this time last yr I found them in Bunno, maybe not in stock dude 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks for this Lusty.

Or was that a gassed up 9.5L Keg ?

It's just for portability if you don't need to bring the C02 bottle with it does simplify things a little... makes it a bit more portable?

Though as King of the Gas Game @Red devil 44 Red I could understand you not wanting to be seen dead at a Fest with a handful of dodgy tiny 16g bulbs in your kit... that would be a terrible disgrace ; )

Ha ha BB,

I’ve never actually used them to be honest, always had a ready supply of CO2 through my connections 😜😜

I would be quite surprised if they would push 9.5L of liquid, you would need a few, but yeah I’d rather make the impression so everybody goes WTF is that thing 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I would be quite surprised if they would push 9.5L of liquid, 

They can inflate a bike tyre to 100psi, so pushing liquid at 12psi is not an issue. Might need 2 cartridges to empty the 9.5l keg though.

Have seen them used on 6l kegs with no probs.

Edited by Dozer71
added
  • Thanks 1