Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Thanks all for your input. I found 2 causes, the hose leak pictured here 

349EE315-7109-445B-A8C7-24B6D4DC1AA8.thumb.jpeg.fc8eeff76beb09cebf389fec5d8252da.jpeg

once i fixed this I submerged in water to double check the disconnect and it too had a leak. It must have had a dodgy washer or O ring inside it and it was letting gas out via the section that you pull up to press down. 

all sections have been re crimped and the disconnect replaced with a spare I had purchased just Incase.

currently sitting in the fridge not connected to anything but pressurised just to double check nothings leaking before re connecting to the keg. 

the beer in the keg has some carbonation so might whack it on 40psi for 12 hrs?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

349EE315-7109-445B-A8C7-24B6D4DC1AA8.thumb.jpeg.fc8eeff76beb09cebf389fec5d8252da.jpeg

once i fixed this I submerged in water to double check the disconnect and it too had a leak. It must have had a dodgy washer or O ring inside it and it was letting gas out via the section that you pull up to press down. 

all sections have been re crimped and the disconnect replaced with a spare I had purchased just Incase.

currently sitting in the fridge not connected to anything but pressurised just to double check nothings leaking before re connecting to the keg. 

Well done mate. Good to see you've found the leaks.

I found that dedicated Gas lines are much better at sealing on the barbs then normal liquid line etc. The line I got for gas was softer then my Valpar flex master which helps it seal properly on the barbs, and I (touch wood) have never had a leak yet.

This is the gas line I used: https://www.triplejhomebrew.com.au/5mm-id-pu-high-pressure-co2-gas-tube-8mm-od.html

I would also recommend genuine CMB or genuine Cornelius disconnects. They are a bit pricier but much better quality and the money you spend on them will save the gas you will lose in the case of a leak.

Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Glad you found the leaks mate, yeah if you’ve had it on for 11hrs previously, I’d go 40PSI for 12 more hours, then let it rest for a few hrs, drop to serving pressure then give it a try, cheers 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Glad you found the leaks mate, yeah if you’ve had it on for 11hrs previously, I’d go 40PSI for 12 more hours, then let it rest for a few hrs, drop to serving pressure then give it a try, cheers 

Unless RD during that very 11 hours most of the gas was leaving via that unfortunate leaking connection and dodgy disconnect?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Well done on the detective work MB mate - good stuff.  Buggggger about the problematic gear/gas lost... but looks like you are on the way forward now!  Good stuff.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Unless RD during that very 11 hours most of the gas was leaving via that unfortunate leaking connection and dodgy disconnect?

Yeah good point BB, it will a bit trial & error because Mitch didn’t get a clear run at carbonation due to the leaks. I would try it after 12 hrs or so, if still not much carbonation &  he’s not in a hurry to drink you could just leave on serving pressure for a few days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Well done mate. Good to see you've found the leaks.

I found that dedicated Gas lines are much better at sealing on the barbs then normal liquid line etc. The line I got for gas was softer then my Valpar flex master which helps it seal properly on the barbs, and I (touch wood) have never had a leak yet.

This is the gas line I used: https://www.triplejhomebrew.com.au/5mm-id-pu-high-pressure-co2-gas-tube-8mm-od.html

I would also recommend genuine CMB or genuine Cornelius disconnects. They are a bit pricier but much better quality and the money you spend on them will save the gas you will lose in the case of a leak.

Mitch.

Thanks mate I’ll check em out. 

46 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Thanks mate, I’ll start with the 40 and see how we go in the morning and might see how it’s pouring tomorrow lunch time 

• Like 1

Another 40psi for 12 hrs and let sit with the gas off for another 2 seems to have done it.

She’s a yeasty bitch. That kveik don’t give a heck when it comes to clarity 🤣 although it went into the keg warm with no finings at all. Tastes good, smells great too . Just looks like soup at the moment. 

937E59CB-4668-442A-BDBC-4EF8D01252B1.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Another 40psi for 12 hrs and let sit with the gas off for another 2 seems to have done it.

She’s a yeasty bitch. That kveik don’t give a heck when it comes to clarity 🤣 although it went into the keg warm with no finings at all. Tastes good, smells great too . Just looks like soup at the moment. 

Good to hear mate, it will clear up.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Great job mate - looks the goods.   Well done on your first keg?! 

And yeah mate - as Red notes - and is my experience too - that it will clear with time.... unless the beer is meant to be cloudy with a low floc yeast? 

My high floc yeast brews always had a little bit of yeast to start with - little bit of settlement down the bottom - then as the fluid is taken up it makes a little "well" around the offtake pipe and the the beer gets clearer.  Think that @PB2 noted same around the naturally conditioned (secondary ferment in the keg) kegs...

And the longer you leave it sit nice and cold the better that gets.  And every time you bump or lift or move that keg... you get another dose ; )

• Thanks 1

Yeah I get the same if I put a keg on pretty much when it's filled. They're always a bit hazy to start with but clear up as more glasses are poured. 

Glad it turned out alright in the end. I've also had the misfortune of losing gas, not a whole bottle but probably about ¾ of it, due to a leaking manifold valve. Took a whole weekend so it wasn't the worst leak ever but certainly required fixing. As a result I sealed up every valve and threaded part on it tighter than a nuns... and it's been fine ever since. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Looks nice and tasty.

I havent used Kveik yet but my buddy has, I love the aromas and flavours from the yeast and the temp levels pretty much make it perfect for homebrewers with no temp control. That brew looks amazing and I bet it smells great too.

Norris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I havent used Kveik yet but my buddy has, I love the aromas and flavours from the yeast and the temp levels pretty much make it perfect for homebrewers with no temp control. That brew looks amazing and I bet it smells great too.

Is it a warm temperature baby Norris?

Like the Saison?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Is it a warm temperature baby Norris?

Like the Saison?

Yeah. You can ferment it up to 36c, I think, with little issues. It starts fast and likes big beers. Has fruity flavours and if you can get it down to 25c, I have heard it makes a good lager. So a pretty aggressive and tasty yeast from when I had a bottle fermented with it that can handle big beers and high temps.

• Like 1

Kegging up an ale, it should have some coppery colours to it.

I have to check the placing of the probe because my beer had about 2 liters freeze 🥵. No biggie, it just means no spare bottles.

On a side note, I was using a janky keg I got for $5 that needs two seals on the lid, well one seal fell in the keg....I couldn't be bothered to fish it out, so I will transfer this again to another keg, maybe under pressure.

20200121_175057.jpg

20200121_175029.jpg

20200121_175106.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

Looks nice and tasty.

Norris

Cheers @Norris! I don’t mind em hazy particularly with this strain as it doesn’t really impart much “yeasty” flavour. The strain I used is perf for iPas and pales as it allows the hops to shine. It is meant to give off an Orange like aroma which is why I dry hopped with Amarillo. 
not sure if I’ll use it again in a hurry but it’s good to know I can pitch on a Sunday and keg on the following Friday. 

@Bearded Burbler this bad boy fermented at 30degrees. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also kegged my Asian lager today. Had a 4 day cold crash with some biofine added day two of that crash and continuing to crash now it’s kegged.....I had a sample of what was left in the FV......sorachi ace hops certainly offer an unusual flavour. I could have potentially over done it with a flame out addition but I’m happy with it. It’s almost got a spice to it with some lemon upfront.

time will tell.