Titan

It's Kegging Time 2019

4 hours ago, Worthog said:

Works great! Trimmed my line to 4' from 8'. Perfect beers day after day. Thanks for the link, Lusty.

Just my 2 bobs worth...

Glad it helped Worthog. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Well got my Valpar beer line today and at 12psi 4.5m of 5mm ID line seems to be the go. 

All done and ready to pour many many beers 🙂

20190905_215839.jpg

• Like 5

Did the kegerator stuff earlier today after cleaning the empty stout keg. Removed the water "reservoir" that was pumped through the font in summer, dried out inside as best I could. Took the fridge out and cleaned out around the back of it, there were a few spider webs in there, daddy long legs. Sprayed them with fly spray, used a spare gas line to blow out the area as best I could as well. Got a small container and put some calcium chloride in it, it's sitting on the back shelf to soak up moisture. 

So the soda water keg and the cleaned keg are in there. The inkbird probe is in that keg, currently sitting around 12.5 degrees down from 24 about 9 hours ago when I put it in. I've noticed the sides of the fridge are warmer than they were recently, more like it used to be. Maybe whatever I did has sorted it, I'll find out in the next couple of days when the water in the keg stabilises. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Did the kegerator stuff earlier today after cleaning the empty stout keg. Removed the water "reservoir" that was pumped through the font in summer, dried out inside as best I could. Took the fridge out and cleaned out around the back of it, there were a few spider webs in there, daddy long legs. Sprayed them with fly spray, used a spare gas line to blow out the area as best I could as well. Got a small container and put some calcium chloride in it, it's sitting on the back shelf to soak up moisture. 

So the soda water keg and the cleaned keg are in there. The inkbird probe is in that keg, currently sitting around 12.5 degrees down from 24 about 9 hours ago when I put it in. I've noticed the sides of the fridge are warmer than they were recently, more like it used to be. Maybe whatever I did has sorted it, I'll find out in the next couple of days when the water in the keg stabilises. 

Fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

If that doesn't work, I'm tempted to buy a new one. They're on sale on keg king for $330 fridge only at the moment, which is all I need and probably not much different to what it would cost to have this one repaired if it is a refrigerant issue. Not sure what shipping would be though. Dropped to 11 now, the rate of temperature drop has slowed but that's normal the lower it goes. Also got a fan blowing air around the back to keep it ventilated.  I'll be keeping an eye on it through the cricket until I decide sleeping is a better idea than trying to stay awake. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

On 9/5/2019 at 10:02 PM, MitchellScott said:

All done and ready to pour many many beers

That looks like a very good sized fridge, what is it? 

23 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

That looks like a very good sized fridge, what is it? 

It is a fisher and paykel, would have to get the model number off it when I am back home. 

But yes, it is very big. Great for me as it holds my kegs plus dads beers. 

Mitch. 

Nearly two days and it's only dropped as far as 5.5 so far. I'll leave it in for the week just to see what happens but I'm thinking a new one is on the cards. It's definitely not going as cold as it used to. Would be alright for storing kegs waiting for a tap which would be nice to have.

Now it's on 5.3. I decided to just bugger it and get a new one. Got the fridge only from keg king, plus $90 delivery so $420 all up which is still lower than what I paid for this one originally. These ones are auto defrost, more powerful compressor, built in font fan among other improvements so hopefully lasts a decent amount of time. 

I dunno when it will arrive but I'll also use this as an opportunity to redo the CO2 setup with longer lines and the manifold screwed into the back of the bar somewhere. 

There isn't really anywhere I can put the old one to use for storing kegs so I'll probably end up selling it, I'm sure someone can make use of it. I may be able to put a keg in the second brew fridge depending on the space inside it with a fermenter in there. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I talked to dad yesterday and he thinks it might be low on refrigerant

How old is the Fridge Kelsey?  Your Dad might be right but one would hope a Refrigerator (keg or not kegerator) would not to lose the coolant too quickly?

So even if out of Warranty period - a claim against the Manufacturer re Australian Consumer Law might be reasonable... just a thought.

Edited by Bearded Burbler

If the motor on a fridge is running and  the fridge is not cooling it is usually because the door seals are no longer up to the job or there is a leak in the pipe work. If this is the case the seals can be changed.   With a leak in the pipe work it is not worth trying to get it fixed as the cost will be a deciding factor.  And it will hard to get a place that will guarantee they have fixed the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

How old is the Fridge Kelsey?  Your Dad might be right but one would hope a Refrigerator (keg or not kegerator) would not to lose the coolant too quickly?

So even if out of Warranty period - a claim against the Manufacturer re Australian Consumer Law might be reasonable... just a thought.

It may have sprung a leak somehow, it's only 4 years old. My other thought was the door seal. But, I like the upgrades they've done with the newer series and if it is a refrigerant issue then it's probably not much different in cost to simply replace it rather than fix it.  

It does chill down, just not as well as it used to. When I set it to a certain temperature I expect the beer to sit at or close to it, not 5-6 degrees higher. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It may have sprung a leak somehow, it's only 4 years old. My other thought was the door seal. But, I like the upgrades they've done with the newer series and if it is a refrigerant issue then it's probably not much different in cost to simply replace it rather than fix it.  

It does chill down, just not as well as it used to. When I set it to a certain temperature I expect the beer to sit at or close to it, not 5-6 degrees higher. 

Sounds like the newer version has some very good improvements anyway, sucks that the old one has thrown in the towel though. 

In regards to my carbonation issue after beer sits in my lines for a day or so, this has completely gone away since swapping to my Valpar line, so I assume it was something to do with the cheap line. 

I have left my beer a few days in this new Valpar line and first pour is fine now, so happy days. 

Mitch. 

• Like 2

It does. It is a shame about the current one but at least it could still be used as a bar fridge or whatever, or still a keg fridge for someone who likes their beer a bit warmer than I do. I'll be doing the same temperature testing with the keg of water when I put the new one in, so I can figure out where to set it to get the beer where I want it. At least I'll go back to using less CO2 😜

Glad your pouring issues have been resolved. I'd been getting a bit of excess foaming lately too, probably because of the warmer beer temp. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It does. It is a shame about the current one but at least it could still be used as a bar fridge or whatever, or still a keg fridge for someone who likes their beer a bit warmer than I do. I'll be doing the same temperature testing with the keg of water when I put the new one in, so I can figure out where to set it to get the beer where I want it. At least I'll go back to using less CO2 😜

Glad your pouring issues have been resolved. I'd been getting a bit of excess foaming lately too, probably because of the warmer beer temp. 

Definitely would be I'd say. When I raised my temps from 1-2C to around 4-5C for my ales I noticed a big difference in the head on a pour. 

Mitch. 

Yeah, I like them lower because with the warm taps I get foam for the first little bit anyway, which becomes the head. Plus usually using room temperature glasses...if I do what I normally do and control the foaming with the flow control, by the time the glass is full the beer is sitting at 10 degrees or more. Not exactly great in summer. If I can get it down where it used to be around 0-1 degree, plus with the font fan running, I'll probably have it around 3 in the glass which is fine. It'll warm up as I drink it anyway. 

Figured out why the pump for the font chilling water wasn't working too, the bloody plug fell out where the power lead connects to the lead from the pump at the back of the fridge 😂

• Haha 1

I have a keg already gassed, but drinking another and need to take it off gas, but will leave refrigerated. What pressure should I leave in the keg to keep it on standby, for a week or so hence?

Cheers

Kegged my latest IPA the other day and another standard Irish stout.

The IPA was very aromatic and tasted a little phenolic from the sample. Hopefully that’ll clear up over the week it’s on gas.

The stout was my dry Irish stout but I upped the mash temp for a little more body. Sample tasted superb 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Worthog said:

What pressure should I leave in the keg to keep it on standby, for a week or so hence?

If it is carbed as you would like then no pressure works.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Worthog said:

I have a keg already gassed, but drinking another and need to take it off gas, but will leave refrigerated. What pressure should I leave in the keg to keep it on standby, for a week or so hence?

Cheers

Just take the gas off and leave it, it'll sit at the same pressure until you get to drinking it again. 

• Thanks 1

Apparently the new kegerator was delivered about 10 minutes after I left to go back to work (bloody typical). Hope they left it somewhere safe. I'm gonna go to Craftbrewer on Saturday and get some more line for the gas, so I can redo that setup, along with some grains I need more of. If I have any cash leftover I might grab some biofine too and give it a go in the next pale ale. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Apparently the new kegerator was delivered about 10 minutes after I left to go back to work (bloody typical). Hope they left it somewhere safe. I'm gonna go to Craftbrewer on Saturday and get some more line for the gas, so I can redo that setup, along with some grains I need more of. If I have any cash leftover I might grab some biofine too and give it a go in the next pale ale. 

And hopefully no dings when you open the box... good old freighties hey!?!

I’ve completely missed that your getting a new one Kelsey. Good luck with the “build” mate.

48 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve completely missed that your getting a new one Kelsey. Good luck with the “build” mate.

You mean the "take the old one out and put the new one in" 😂

I will probably have to do some DIY modification on the hole that the beer lines go through to the font to get the flooded font pipe through it, like I did with the old one. Otherwise it's simply longer gas lines partly because the hole appears to be on the other side of the unit, and also I'm gonna screw the manifold to the wall of the cavity the unit sits in so it doesn't bloody move. The double sided tape kept falling off for some reason. 

• Haha 2