Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Thanks @Otto Von Blotto,

Yeah, it definitely seemed overcarbed. I did not have the beerline connected during the 40psi@48hr process. I Burped the keg, set to serving 12psi, overnight.

That is when I had the post valve failure which leaked 3L everywhere. Next morning I replaced the valve, reset to 12psi and connected the beer line a few hours prior to serving. Then I had the co2 in the line problem where I think your are right, both in your overcarb assessment, plus your lineleak advice you gave on another thread.

Today, the overcarb situation hopefully has fixed itself, and I pumped some beer noticing bubbles appearing and running backwards from the pluto gun.

I managed to get a second stainless steel clamp on and squeezed the bejeezuz out of it. I pumped some more beer and the problem appears resolved.

In future I'll do 20psi@24hrs, then 12psi for a few days.

Thanks for your advice Kelsey. 👍🙂

Cheers, by the way, the beer was bloody lovely. Kegging will be my mainstay from now on.

Yeah I don't have the clamped fittings except on tap shanks, which in my font are just stainless steel tubes that poke out the bottom of it. The disconnects use push in fittings. 

You can still use 40psi just don't leave it on for 48 hours. Next time I put kegs in I'll be doing 45psi for 20-22 hours, letting it rest for 6 hours then serving pressure. I'll leave the kegs for another day to allow them to chill down properly too. 

• Like 1

For those of you that run Valpar Flexmaster lines, where do you purchase it from?

I'm looking at getting some 5mm Valpar line for liquid dispensing as since my new Intertaps have gone in, my pour seems to be too fast with my 1.4m 4mm lines.

What pressure and line length are you running with it? I'm thinking about 4m of 5mm ID should be about right, but may get 5m lines and cut down until happy with the pour.

Mitch.

I would start too long and trim back. It's easier and cheaper than buying more if it's not long enough. I got mine from Craftbrewer, but any decent shop should have it. 

My system is different due to the flow control taps I use. The lines are a bit over 2m for each keg, but without flow control I'd probably have had them closer to 4m. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I would start too long and trim back. It's easier and cheaper than buying more if it's not long enough. I got mine from Craftbrewer, but any decent shop should have it. 

My system is different due to the flow control taps I use. The lines are a bit over 2m for each keg, but without flow control I'd probably have had them closer to 4m. 

Thanks Kelsey.

I figured I would just bite the bullet and pay the extra for the quality lines. I've upgraded pretty much all of my system to higher quality gear now so won't skimp on the lines.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yeah they're great quality lines. I don't know how often they're meant to be replaced but I've had mine going 4 years and still fine. I have thought about moving to 6mm line because it would be easier to stretch over the tubes that run up the font to the taps, but then I'd need them way longer which would create issues inside the kegerator. 

I will be replacing my gas lines soon but that's because I need to make them longer to facilitate putting the manifold on the bar itself, then feeding the lines under it and into the back of the kegerator. Or something like that. It's not really ideal having the manifold just resting on the gas cylinder. Once they're done they'll just about last forever. 

31 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah they're great quality lines. I don't know how often they're meant to be replaced but I've had mine going 4 years and still fine. I have thought about moving to 6mm line because it would be easier to stretch over the tubes that run up the font to the taps, but then I'd need them way longer which would create issues inside the kegerator. 

I will be replacing my gas lines soon but that's because I need to make them longer to facilitate putting the manifold on the bar itself, then feeding the lines under it and into the back of the kegerator. Or something like that. It's not really ideal having the manifold just resting on the gas cylinder. Once they're done they'll just about last forever. 

From what I can see most places recommend replacement every 3-4 years but if they aren't causing any problems I don't see the need to replace :).

3 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

For those of you that run Valpar Flexmaster lines, where do you purchase it from?

I'm looking at getting some 5mm Valpar line for liquid dispensing as since my new Intertaps have gone in, my pour seems to be too fast with my 1.4m 4mm lines.

What pressure and line length are you running with it? I'm thinking about 4m of 5mm ID should be about right, but may get 5m lines and cut down until happy with the pour.

Mitch.

I used to have the Valpar Super Flexmaster and it was pretty good but I changed all my lines and tried the KegLand line and for the price I’m pretty happy with it

5 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I used to have the Valpar Super Flexmaster and it was pretty good but I changed all my lines and tried the KegLand line and for the price I’m pretty happy with it

I did have the Keg Land line previously, I found it very rigid and not flexible. Is the valpar line the same? 

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not in my experience. It's not extremely soft and pliable like vinyl tubing but it's not rigid either. It's just flexible enough to do what it needs to do. I wouldn't use anything else now, unless something better came along. The cheaper line is shit. 

Good to know.
The KegLand line seemed to work fine but especially at fridge temps it was super rigid and made it annoying when trying to work in the fridge as the lines would just go where ever they want.

I'll order some Valpar this week sometime and install it probably next week. I'm heading to Melbourne on Thurs and won't be home till late Sunday so wont get a chance to do it till then.

Mitch.

Does anyone else find the first bit of their pour is flat when using longer lines? 

Since I've changed my lines to some temporary 5mm ID 3m lines the first probably 100ml is flat then comes good again.  Can't recall having this issue on my shorter 1.4m 4mm ID lines. Any reason for it? 

Mitch. 

35 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Mitch.

It's all about balance. Balance between line length, line diameter, & pressure as to how it pours.

Check out the following link. It'll explain things to you in a very easy to understand way.

Keg Line Length Balancing - The Science Of Draught Beer

I hope that helps,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty, thanks for the link. I understand the balancing side of things hence why I have 3m of line and run my serving pressure at 12psi. I am finding the current pour to be too fast for my liking so will be Increasing to 4m line soon. It's not the length that is the issue, the beer that is stored in the line for a day or two seems to go flat so the first bit of the pour is quite flat before it returns to normal. If I pour a few in a night then only the first bit of the first schooner has the issue, the rest is fine.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the balancing side of things. As long as pressure stays on the keg it should hold carbonation in the line... I don't know why the beer is going flat in the line while it sits overnight. 

Mitch. 

Edited by MitchellScott

2 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Hi Lusty, thanks for the link.

No probs. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

...I understand the balancing side of things hence why I have 3m of line and run my serving pressure at 12psi. I am finding the current pour to be too fast for my liking so will be Increasing to 4m line soon. It's not the length that is the issue,...

...I don't think it's got anything to do with the line length. 

A little contradictory there. Then why are you planning on changing it? 🤔

My gut feel is that you may have over-carbed the beer initially in the keg. I know I did when I first began kegging, & what you are currently experiencing resembles my initial pouring & dispensing woes on that first brew before I figured out what I had done, & then got some great advice here on how to rectify it. To this day, I still reckon once I re-balanced the pour on that brew, it was one of the best pouring beers I've ever had! 🤣

I run 2 metres of beer out line @ 10-12 psi, pours beautifully across ales at the lower end & lagers at the higher end.

12 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

...the beer that is stored in the line for a day or two seems to go flat so the first bit of the pour is quite flat before it returns to normal...

...If I pour a few in a night then only the first bit of the first schooner has the issue, the rest is fine.

Without knowing your exact setup, I'd suggest you have a slight leak in this section of your beer out line. This situation is very unusual. I'd suggest you spray this section with a soapy solution at both ends & all the way along any joiners of it. Hopefully this will bubble somewhere & expose the slow leak. It may simply be a clamp tightened a little too tight that has cut into the tubing.

Best of luck sorting it out.

Lusty.

I will be replacing it all with Valpar Flexmaster line next week so I'm not too stressed on it at the moment. 

Don't think the keg could be over carbed as it doesn't foam everywhere when pouring and was carbed at serving pressure for a few weeks. 

I never had any problem with my old taps but when I upgraded to my Intertap taps the pour speed Increased so I changed my 1.4m 4mm ID lines to 3m 5mm ID lines but the pour speed is still to fast for my liking. 

If there is a leak there mustn't be any beer coming from it as it's been connected since last week and I have no got any drops of beer inside the fridge or on the lines... I'm thinking it could just be shit cheap beer line (which it is). Hopefully once I upgrade this problem will be gone. 

Mitch. 

3 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

...I never had any problem with my old taps but when I upgraded to my Intertap taps the pour speed Increased so I changed my 1.4m 4mm ID lines to 3m 5mm ID lines but the pour speed is still to fast for my liking. 

If you're faffing around with flow controlled taps etc. then fair enough.

There are a few guys that muck around at this level on the forum so best I leave this part of the conversation to those more knowledgeable in this area.

The Otto Man uses these types of taps so hopefully he spots your post & can offer some advice.

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

If you're faffing around with flow controlled taps etc. then fair enough.

There are a few guys that muck around at this level on the forum so best I leave this part of the conversation to those more knowledgeable in this area.

The Otto Man uses these types of taps so hopefully he spots your post & can offer some advice.

Cheers,

Lusty.

My Intertaps are not flow controlled. Just the standard ones. 

Once you start using certain dispensing taps, they are manufactured to certain design specs & require suited fittings & line diameters to produce the best results. I won't lie, this is an area I have never ventured into, so will graciously now depart this conversation & leave further advice on this level to those more experienced in this area.

I'm still using the picnic tap setup inside my Keezer that I started out with as it has continued to work extremely well, & I have felt no need to replace it or upgrade it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Yeah mine are flow control, and if I open it up full it pours way too fast so obviously the 2m or so of line on them isn't long enough for the taps if they were standard ones. The beer in the lines goes flat on my system too but a foot of the line is outside the fridge inside the font so I expect it would. Still foams up initially because of the warm section of line and warm tap. I usually just fill a glass with it and put that in the fridge then pour a proper one and drink the other one after. 

• Like 3