Titan

It's Kegging Time 2019

I kegged my Galaxy and Simcoe pale ale today. It ended up at 5.8% which was a bit higher than I wanted but oh well. 

I have decided to name it ‘F?@k You Dry July’

46E7A43F-9E43-47AB-9188-9AC1A21D3577.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Question for you keggers as my first leg comes to an end.

How are you cleaning your lines before refilling it? I'm thinking of a sodium perc mix in the keg and putting the gas on, opening the tap to fill the lines with the perc solution then leaving overnight and rinsing out with water or stellasan.

What do you recommend??

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I kegged my Galaxy and Simcoe pale ale today. It ended up at 5.8% which was a bit higher than I wanted but oh well. 

I have decided to name it ‘F?@k You Dry July’

I myself would name it "Thank Goodness I have finally got a decent Beer"  - what a great unfortunate outcome 👍

• Like 1

From the perspective @Beer Baron that it is a wonderful unfortunate outcome... like Coops Sparking at 5.8 ABV I think that is correct?

And thanks NOT to Coops website policy that you cannot edit stuff five minutes later am really not happy with that @PB2

As I am in remote area - and wanted to add stuff to above post and it was NO NO NO go away

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

How are you cleaning your lines before refilling it? I'm thinking of a sodium perc mix in the keg and putting the gas on, opening the tap to fill the lines with the perc solution then leaving overnight and rinsing out with water or stellasan.

What do you recommend??

I do mine every couple of kegs. I use a 9kg keg. Fill it up with warm water and sodium percarb. Flush through 3 or 4 litres through both taps. Then clean the keg and flush 2 or so litres of water through both taps. Done and dusted.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And thanks NOT to Coops website policy that you cannot edit stuff five minutes later am really not happy with that @PB2

I think this is something that will be modified with the next iteration.

Meanwhile, you could always post the edited version and ask me (via a DM) to delete the original post . 😉

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Meanwhile, you could always post the edited version and ask me (via a DM) to delete the original post . 😉

Thanks mate.

And I could pump the tyres up on me gridley…  manually - no power here..... 

And cycle 5 kms up to the shop.  And get me 2c pieces and spin them through the coin acceptor.

And hope that I could make a 20c call... to get the message through... and hopefully me mate up the road had not dug up the line when he was putting in his last row of Hordeum vulgare to make sure Coopers Brewery had some product to malt in the future.... ; )

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I do mine every couple of kegs. I use a 9kg keg. Fill it up with warm water and sodium percarb. Flush through 3 or 4 litres through both taps. Then clean the keg and flush 2 or so litres of water through both taps. Done and dusted.

This is exactly what I do but I only put about 5-6L in the keg to wash out the lines

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

What do you recommend??

I clean the empty keg and its line and tap in one go. Rinse out the keg with hot water, then fill it with about 7-8 litres, dump in some perc, shake it around a bit then roll it back and forth for a few minutes to clean all inside surfaces, then run it through the tap into a bucket, discard down the sink. Rinse keg with hot water again, fill with a few litres of hot water and run that through the tap, all done. Takes about 15-20 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I clean the empty keg and its line and tap in one go. Rinse out the keg with hot water, then fill it with about 7-8 litres, dump in some perc, shake it around a bit then roll it back and forth for a few minutes to clean all inside surfaces, then run it through the tap into a bucket, discard down the sink. Rinse keg with hot water again, fill with a few litres of hot water and run that through the tap, all done. Takes about 15-20 minutes. 

Thanks Kelsey. Guessing you clean your lines after each keg?

Usually, but sometimes I'll run two kegs through before I clean them. Whenever i do that, I clean the empty keg by itself and drain it outside with a spare disconnect, after putting some pressure into it of course.

• Like 1

Upgraded all of my line recently to get my system running better. Approximately 3.5m 5mm ID Flexmaster lines & a check valve on the gas line. The keg is somehow over carbed even though it's sat at 12psi & 4-5° since transfer. I'll disconnect the gas & de-carb to get it down a bit and hopefully it should be all good! Beer inside is really tasty, accidentally turned it into an NEIPA by shaking the keg to de-carb it!

What I do with overcarbed kegs is bleed all the pressure then give them a second of gas. This allows me to pour them without foaming everywhere so I can still drink it while the carbonation level gradually drops. I repeat the bleed and quick gas hit for each glass until it drops a bit below normal carbonation, then the gas can be put back on as normal. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What I do with overcarbed kegs is bleed all the pressure then give them a second of gas. This allows me to pour them without foaming everywhere so I can still drink it while the carbonation level gradually drops. I repeat the bleed and quick gas hit for each glass until it drops a bit below normal carbonation, then the gas can be put back on as normal. 

Good idea! I'll give this a go too for a few tonight

• Like 1

I'm not even sure what got me to start doing that. Maybe I figured if there was bugger all pressure in the keg then it wouldn't fly out all foamy. It comes out looking like post mix soft drink, but you get a full glass and a good sized head without the beer going flat. 

May have de carbed a bit much. Reasonably flat with a great head to start but dies quickly. No rising bubbles but very tasty 

IMG20190727193910.thumb.jpg.4382c2631d7f6bf63f8bcce4a2ebdbc4.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, Smash said:

accidentally turned it into an NEIPA by shaking the keg to de-carb it!

I just turn off and use the over pressure to pour.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I just turn off and use the over pressure to pour.

Aaaaaaaargh the Kegggin Kings....

I hope one day to join this ever increasing level of complexity....  Brew and on Tap.... 

I guess in the meantime, I shall have to keep BOTTLING....

On 7/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, Beer Baron said:

I just kegged this today. 

ED325E4F-AB18-45C5-BD33-D23DD2B2D6BC.jpeg

The Coopers Marketing department will not be impressed given past retorts to this product & it's "Over Beer?" marketing approach.

AdNews: Round three in Canadian Club/Coopers billboard stoush (2013)

I hope the DIY Team moderators etc. & Marketing arm have enough time to give you a suitable response. 😜

Lusty.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The Coopers Marketing department will not be impressed given past retorts to this product & it's "Over Beer?" marketing approach.

AdNews: Round three in Canadian Club/Coopers billboard stoush (2013)

I hope the DIY Team moderators etc. & Marketing arm have enough time to give you a suitable response. 😜

Lusty.

I really liked @PaddyBrew2's ripper response:

NEXT STOP: GAVISCON JUNCTION

•  
  • Coopers Club Members
  • 585 posts

Next Stop : Gaviscon Junction

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

...And thanks NOT to Coops website policy that you cannot edit stuff five minutes later am really not happy with that @PB2

Yup, this limited window for editing has been expressed as a problem by multiple members of the forum already.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, PB2 said:

As Paul has already iterated, I'd expect this editing window to be increased with the next bunch of website improvements.

Until then, Just before you post, highlight everything in your proposed post & CTRL+C it. Then post & review. If there is something you screwed up, simply DELETE the post, then CTRL+V into the post window & edit quickly with your fixes & re-post.

Problems only occur & look weird if others have responded/liked your post after you've deleted it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Smash said:

May have de carbed a bit much. Reasonably flat with a great head to start but dies quickly. No rising bubbles but very tasty 

Maybe Smash we need a blend with my slightly OVER-burbled brew and it would be just perfect !? 😝

image.thumb.png.6fe331ff9644fdbc5a472071fe630906.png    ???

• Haha 3

Been mucking around with the kegerator the past couple of days trying to figure out what the actual temp is in there. Using the inkbird I have a pint of water sitting at the back on the "shelf" behind the kegs, and it always sits about 3 degrees higher than the display on the front. 

Explains why my beers have appeared a bit under carbonated lately, when the pressure is based on them sitting at zero when they are really around 2 degrees. 

I could put a 100k resistor inline in the kegerator temp probe wire to make it read properly, but it's probably easier to simply set the thing 3 degrees lower than I want the beer sitting at. 

Could be useful for anyone else with kegerators to check what the temperature actually is in there.

• Like 2