Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

No worries, the one I’m having issues with I changed the disconnect to a stainless one. I’m going to remove and replace every o ring with slightly larger thickness silicone ones and see if that helps, otherwise the kegs will probably end up as a boat anchor

• 2 weeks later...

I kegged my Black IPA today. I only got about 16L in the keg because there was just too much crap in the bottom of the fermenter. I hooked the gas up to 300kpa and I’ll leave it for 24 hours before purging and dropping to 75kpa. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have beer on tap again in a few days. Well other than the stout that's still got most of the keg left. 

Kegged the FWH Cascade ale this arvo, surplus went into the little bastard keg to top it up, so it has a blend of this beer and the red ale in it. I put that one on gas at serving pressure so it'll be carbonated in a few days. And obviously the rest filled a 19L keg. So I've got about 28/29 litres to last through the pilsner fermentation and short lagering before it goes into a keg. I'll probably run out but it should last most of that time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Easier said than done with only one fermenter. Gonna have to start pushing the replacement kitchen fridge more 😂

Only one FV, I am shocked😮. don't you have 6 or 7 kegs?

I always (try) have 2 FV's going and have now progressed to 6 kegs.

• Like 1

I have 6 and a half beer kegs. The other one is soda water. Up until now I haven't had room for a second fridge, so just stuck with the one fermenter. I used to be able to keep up but I was doing a lot of my drinking out at pubs back then. I don't drink anything like as much anymore but with pretty much all of it at home, the taps get hit a bit more over the weekends than they used to 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Easier said than done with only one fermenter. Gonna have to start pushing the replacement kitchen fridge more 😂

Same - Same.  But I have not had much luck with the "I need an extra fermenting fridge" conversation.  My intermediate option during warmer Melbourne months was to do a couple of Saisons  that are comfortable with warmer ferment temperatures.  This might be an option for you in your Brisbane climes.

On a related finance matter, I was looking at a ball valve on ebay for my $20 20L pot.  Not fun tipping 15L of wort out of the pot into a cube (my first Frankenstein-AG will be discussed elsewhere).  Anyway, wife and son said - Why not just buy a pot with a tap already on it?  Wife did some quick googling on her phone and said - You could get one for around $100.  I said - If I am going to that I might as well get a Robobrew for around $500 with a tap, pot, pump and boiler all in one.  I did not get the usual - Money is tight comment.  I might take this as approval to go ahead and get one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Same - Same.  But I have not had much luck with the "I need an extra fermenting fridge" conversation.  My intermediate option during warmer Melbourne months was to do a couple of Saisons  that are comfortable with warmer ferment temperatures.  This might be an option for you in your Brisbane climes.

On a related finance matter, I was looking at a ball valve on ebay for my $20 20L pot.  Not fun tipping 15L of wort out of the pot into a cube (my first Frankenstein-AG will be discussed elsewhere).  Anyway, wife and son said - Why not just buy a pot with a tap already on it?  Wife did some quick googling on her phone and said - You could get one for around $100.  I said - If I am going to that I might as well get a Robobrew for around $500 with a tap, pot, pump and boiler all in one.  I did not get the usual - Money is tight comment.  I might take this as approval to go ahead and get one.

Don’t forget ram home about how much safer it will be/faster more you/me time etc it not just to benefit you🤣👍

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

Don’t forget ram home about how much safer it will be/faster more you/me time etc it not just to benefit you🤣👍

I like your thoughts.  Just as long as she does not read the posts on the Forum.

Hang on, most of the above are still benefits for me not her.  She is not so much worried about my safety.  The death or permanent disability clauses in my super scheme are almost enough to make her push me down the stairs.  The only thing stopping her is that I might survive and the permanent disability situation means that she will have to look after me forever.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I like your thoughts.  Just as long as she does not read the posts on the Forum.

Hang on, most of the above are still benefits for me not her.  She is not so much worried about my safety.  The death or permanent disability clauses in my super scheme are almost enough to make her push me down the stairs.  The only thing stopping her is that I might survive and the permanent disability situation means that she will have to look after me forever.

Better stick with the ladies before gentlemen before heading down the stairs then🤣 

• Haha 2

On 6/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, Beer Baron said:

#1 Rule - Never run out of beer on tap

On 6/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Easier said than done with only one fermenter.

It can be done.

#1 Correction Rule - Stop brewing so many lagers (Capt. made me say it!)

😜

Cheers,

Lusty. 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll brew what I want 😂

With the 3-4 week turn around time (maybe longer for you) for a lager no wonder you're short of keg beer all the time. Everytime I do a lager it mucks with my scheduling & I occasionally run out of keg beer because of it.

What I do maybe a little differently to you though is I brew enough beer that I bottle a longneck or two from every batch, that way I have bottled stock reserves if my keg(s) run dry.

Maybe worth some thought? 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I have a little Craft fermenter and somehow am struggling to find room in the cupboard to put all my beer. I bottled up my MOTB and corresponding leftovers beer last night and it took some serious rearranging to squeeze that lot in. 

So what did I do last week? Bought 2 x 20l jerry cans to use as fermenters. Why did I do that? No idea... I'm sure I had a reason at the time. I think I might have been thinking they'd be good for fitting 2 batches at a time in my Cool Brewing Bag if I ever wanted to. Or maybe splitting a FWK between the 2 if another baby comes along and I don't have time to brew anything?

Anyway it only took my 2 year old a minute or 2 to use one of them as a step ladder to climb up and take things he shouldn't. Bit if a dent in that one now lol. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Haha 2

That's why I want to get a second FV going Lusty. Just gotta get the kitchen fridge replaced so I can take the current one for temp control.

I'll probably have less issue with running out now that the 10L keg is back in action. With brewing 25 litre batches of ales, I can fill it up with the surplus from two of them which helps. It's usually a couple of weeks that I'm out of tap beer, so a second FV would definitely solve that problem.

53 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

...Bought 2 x 20l jerry cans to use as fermenters. Why did I do that? No idea... I'm sure I had a reason at the time. I think I might have been thinking they'd be good for fitting 2 batches at a time in my...

I bought a couple of 15L cubes from Bunnings about 7-8 years ago now thinking I might do something similar.

Apart from the day I bought them & sanitised them, a single drop of liquid hasn't entered their space, nor have they moved from where I placed them. 🤣

Maybe I'll get interested in camping one day. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's why I want to get a second FV going Lusty. Just gotta get the kitchen fridge replaced so I can take the current one for temp control.

I'm hearin' ya.

...I'll probably have less issue with running out now that the 10L keg is back in action. With brewing 25 litre batches of ales, I can fill it up with the surplus from two of them which helps.

Sorta surprised you're running out of beer with this 10L backup keg that I read you fill & mix blends in almost like a back-up without having to bottle.

...It's usually a couple of weeks that I'm out of tap beer, so a second FV would definitely solve that problem.

There is a way you could utilize where beers that are part of your current rotation could spend time under ambient conditions towards the end of primary ferment so you could place a new brew in your brew fridge to begin fermenting under a controlled temp if you timed everything right.

I've done it, so know it is possible.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust