Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Kegging off the quick and dirty breakfast cider this morning. 

Gravity stopped at 0.996 so it's rather dry and pleasantly tart , certainly doesn't seem like a 5.9% cider 

Dry hopped with Galaxy and Pacifica,  will wait until shops open to pick up some juice to back sweeten to a quaffable summer drinker and slightly lower the abv as well 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Sensational idea and combo there Mark. 

Just poured a taster.... This could be dangerous since it drinks soo bloody easily. 

Have some friends visiting on Sunday and will be surprised if it doesn't blow before the Hot 100 finishes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kegged my Passionfruit Mexican Cerveza ,cooling in the fridge atm and will force carb tomorrow, went with a dry hop of Citra , hope this one will be a nice Summer session Beer.

Sample taste was very good with nice hop aroma.

Those would be handy for kegs with lids that don't have the little eyelet thingy on them. Mine do, so I'll just use the tea balls I already have. I don't know whether having the hops in the beer for the entire time it's on tap would have any negative impact, but I do like the idea that with the hanging tea balls, the hops are removed once the beer level drops below them.

• Like 1

Hmmmm foam coming out of tap, adjust regulator, belch keg,  set psi to 8-9psi, hmmm had no problems before, maybe a seal, I did quick carb the beer at 30psi, belched it and set for serving at 10-11psi on the weekend.

Tristan

Edited by tja1980

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, Gus96 said:

Kegged my Session ale yesterday and a Helga's Kolsh today. As the kegerator only holds three kegs i have naturally carbed the Kolsh till i empty my first keg of Golden Crown Lager which i tapped yesterday after letting it sit since Xmas eve.

Being my first go at this i was pleasantly supprised  how well it poured straight off the bat. I need to get a chalk board or similar to keep tally on how many i knock back in a session, playing around with the serving pressure to get what i was happy with i consummed a few more than i expected and i can't see this keg lasting too long. 

seems my prediction was right, the first keg has blown (8days). Half a glass tonight and splutter splutter so I swapped over to the Oktoberfest keg, looks like I may have to adjust my brewing schedules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tja1980 said:

Dammit looks like I'll have to remove the dip tube and see whats clogged it up... Kegs holding pressure, can't see any leaks.

Dying of old age pouring at 8-9psi 

Tristan

From your previous post it sounds like you've overcarbed it rather than there being a blockage somewhere. That's usually the case when it pours foam on serving pressure but pours fine after a burp and pressure drop. How long did it sit on 30psi for? 

I quick carbed rocking the keg at 30psi for 3 minutes 20 seconds (not my usual method, i.e letting it sit in the fridge at serving pressure for a week or two), then let it sit for and hour, burped it, set it for serving over night.

Tristan

I'd guess it's overcarbed then. They're usually rocked for about 50 seconds at 45psi, maybe a little extra if required; I can't imagine dropping it to 30psi would require 2.5 extra minutes of rocking. 

The symptoms scream overcarbonation, and it's one reason I gave up on that method and started using the one I currently use to carbonate kegs overnight. 

• Thanks 1

That looks more like it. Foamy pours are usually overcarbonation but also can be caused by the beer not being cold enough in the keg. 

I had one once that didn't fully chill down for two days, poured one after it'd been in there about 30 hours and it poured foam despite not being overcarbed. 

I had my water on that tap so was half thinking seals, I remember I did see a few chunks of hops going into the keg as well, and yeah I think your right on the over carbonation, one thing I notice brewing all grain your head is now pearl white were as with extract I was noticing an off white color as of taste its the same as when I did this with extract has a little more spice still TAF 😄

Tristan

Edited by tja1980

• 2 weeks later...

Today I'll be kegging the Centennial English ale on my break. It will then go straight on gas in the kegerator at 45psi or so until tomorrow morning when I leave for work, and I'll burp the keg and connect at serving pressure when I leave again in the arvo. Should be good for a taster when I'm home in the evening. 

No more buying beer until these two kegs run out but I'm hoping to have a second ferment fridge going before they run out so at least I can increase production once the two hams I'm making in it first are done. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 5

All kegged now. It's in the fridge on gas at around 45psi where it'll sit until I go to work tomorrow morning. Shouldn't take long to chill down as it was sitting at around 7-8 degrees when I kegged it.

Been having a bit of trouble with the freezer chest in my brew fridge icing up with the humidity outside and not chilling down as effectively as normal. It's pretty normal for this December to February period though. It got down to about 3 this time before slowly rising again. Maybe during summer I'll remove the temp probe before the cold crash so it can just go off ambient for it. Might have more success. I'll see how that goes when I put the yeast starter in there soon. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I found the problem with that tap not pouring properly. I suspected it was the disconnect and so I swapped it out with the spare I'd been using for draining kegs when cleaning them. Used the suspect one when draining the keg today and it was piss poor.

I discovered it wasn't pushing the poppet thing in the keg post down fully. Unsure if the spring in it is buggered or the little tube thingy but when I put downwards pressure on it, it worked fine so either way the disconnect is done. I'll pick up a new one Friday when I go to craftbrewer for ingredients, and it can go in the kegerator when this keg is empty.