Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

3 minutes ago, thebeerpig said:

Try spraying your connections and lines with a mixture of dishwashing detergent and water. I've got a mate who is a gas plumber and he reckons this is the best solution to use for finding gas and air leaks.

Done that what feels like a thousand times and haven't spotted a thing.... which is incredibly frustrating 🙂 I know there's a leak somewhere but can't spot it! 

Anyway, back to Keg King this arvo to have them look at it. 

1 hour ago, Titan said:

You might need to change the nylon washer on the regulator connection. not sure if the one you bought was new but the washer may be damaged allowing some gas to pass.

Already replaced it once, so that's two new ones I've tried so far.... I'll buying a bundle of them when I go back to the store today so I can always use a new one, just in case. 

This isn't the first time I've read of problems with Keg King regulators, if indeed that is where the problem lies. It was enough to make me steer clear of them when I set my system up though, and I went with Micromatic instead. I always try to buy top quality when it comes to things that will be in use for a long period of time, it might cost a bit more upfront but in the long run it saves money.

i have one and it is not leaking, bought it after i destroyed my micromatic.

are you sure you are leaking? if the only sign is a drop in pressure then... is that the tank pressure or i assume where you have set the regulator? 

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

are you sure you are leaking? if the only sign is a drop in pressure then... is that the tank pressure or i assume where you have set the regulator? 

I've been seeing drops across both dials. high pressure when i turn on the gas then turn it off, and low pressure when i turn the gas on, dial up to 30psi, then shut off the dial (not the tank).

Anyway, took it back to Keg King today and they determined it had a leak also, so exchanged and trying a fresh one now... fingers crossed. If it's still showing a leak I'll have to assume there's something else amiss - but given everything else is submarined at the moment and not showing any sign of bubbles, I'll be at a loss!

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Just curious about your comment here Ben - are you saying that a drop in pressure (as measured by the low gauge, not the high) doesn't have to mean a leak? Because that's what has been driving me nuts - that the gauge is dropping (slowly albeit) but I can't find any leak anywhere on the regulator, manifold or disconnects by any means (soapy water/bubbles, and submerging).

If it's a new regulator the low pressure gauge can move around a bit at first. Mine did it too although it increased rather than decreased, but that was while it was on rather than off. 

I have noticed the gauges drop in the past when I've had the cylinder off, but it's still lasted the usual amount of time except when I had that manifold leak, so I dunno. 

Thanks - I hope that's the issue - as the new regulator appears to be dropping slowly on the low gauge also, which is rather disappointing. I'd like to say it must be another part of my system but given that that's all underwater and still yet to spot a bubble, that's difficult to support.

At this rate I think I'll just be putting it back together and turning the tank off when not in use...

I am new to kegging but have been around gas bottles for most of my life and it was drummed into me from early on  to always turn the gas off at the end of the working day, so though habit I did the same with the kegs and watched the gauge like a hawk for leaks.

at first I was loosing pressure in the gauge and thought there was a leak , did the soapy water test found nothing. After a week or so of leaving the gas on a bit longer, the loss of gas after the bottle was off has stopped and the gauge shows the correct set pressure and doesn't drop anymore, so I guess it was just being absorbed into the beer (2 kegs) which has now carbed enough. My theory anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe that's why mine was dropping those other times. I can't remember now what kegs were in and how far into the carbonation they were but when I had it turned off a couple of weeks ago all valves on the manifold were shut off, so if there is a leak anywhere in my system it's after the manifold.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, Beer Baron said:

I kegged my Vienna Lager today. 

Dammit!!!!! I just remembered that I forgot to add gelatin to my fermenter before kegging to clear my lager up. 

Oh well, it isn’t the first time that I have forgot to do it and it definitely won’t be the last😂

• Haha 3

This is the sample of my brown IPA i left on the bench for 5 days. Has cleared up nicely. This went into my baby 10l keg and the rest was bottled. I was away last week and had started to cc this by moving it down to 10 deg on Sunday. Sms my son to drop it to 2 deg on Monday. Anyway i got home and all he had done was drop it by 2 deg so it was a 5 day cc at 8 🤔. Anyway brew was nice and clear when kegging and bottling so no harm done.

20190112_071906.jpg

• Like 4

Took a run down to Albany to the not so local brew shop yesty, wanted another Keg and a few bits and pieces .

I now have the Red Rattler Ale keged and cooling down to force carb latter on today so should be able to sample in a couple of days.

Cheers

Spud

• Like 2

A little earlier today I kegged & fast carbed up my Cascade/Columbus/Riwaka/Simcoe dry hopped pale ale. It's on serving pressure now. Smelled terrific. Very tempted to pour one, but will wait a little while longer & pour a few nearer when the smoked pork is done. A few Coopers commercial pale ales in the meantime. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

On 1/10/2019 at 2:36 PM, Beer Baron said:

Dammit!!!!! I just remembered that I forgot to add gelatin to my fermenter before kegging to clear my lager up. 

Oh well, it isn’t the first time that I have forgot to do it and it definitely won’t be the last😂

Bit late to be much use to you this time but I use my carb cap to add anything needed to a keg. 

Add finings , hop teas or blending beer to sterile bottle,  fit cap and pressurise then use a jumper line to attach to gas post of destination keg and open the PRV. 

Completely closed transfer,  no problem stirring keg up since I don't move it and it's dead easy 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Bit late to be much use to you this time but I use my carb cap to add anything needed to a keg. 

Add finings , hop teas or blending beer to sterile bottle,  fit cap and pressurise then use a jumper line to attach to gas post of destination keg and open the PRV. 

Completely closed transfer,  no problem stirring keg up since I don't move it and it's dead easy 

I’m not that fussed even though it’s really easy. I am the only person who drinks my beer so I don’t have to impress anyone with clarity😂

• Haha 1

Just about to go prep a keg to be filled with the German/Czech pilsner lager thing waiting in the fermenter. First keg of 2019, it will then go into the keg fridge to continue lagering while I ferment, keg and drink the next batch. 1469 starter will be harvested from tomorrow then put in the fridge overnight and pitched on Thursday. Or I might harvest it tonight, haven't decided yet.

Once that's done I'll be finally slicing up the bacon that's been waiting patiently in the fridge so I can have some with lunch today.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 5

Kegged my Session ale yesterday and a Helga's Kolsh today. As the kegerator only holds three kegs i have naturally carbed the Kolsh till i empty my first keg of Golden Crown Lager which i tapped yesterday after letting it sit since Xmas eve.

Being my first go at this i was pleasantly supprised  how well it poured straight off the bat. I need to get a chalk board or similar to keep tally on how many i knock back in a session, playing around with the serving pressure to get what i was happy with i consummed a few more than i expected and i can't see this keg lasting too long. 

• Like 1