Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Can anyone tell me whether there is enough soapy water on this keg top to detect any gas leaks?!  🤪 

This is a newer keg so hopefully will not change its mind once full.... as seems pretty bllllardy gas tight at the moment 😋

image.thumb.png.581999c378f2779e93f28dec856d05ff.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Can anyone tell me whether there is enough soapy water on this keg top to detect any gas leaks?!  🤪 

This is a newer keg so hopefully will not change its mind once full.... as seems pretty bllllardy gas tight at the moment 😋

If anything at least it'll be nice and clean on top 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I don't know... maybe you should fill the bath and dunk it? 😄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

@Bearded Burbler I don't test with soapy water.  After cleaning them, put in about 1/2 litre of sanitiser mixture seal lid and slosh all around.  Then just pump keg up to about 12 psi and push some sanitiser up and out both posts using suitable tube and connector, the gas in post is done when the keg is inverted.  Then put the inverted keg, still upside down into a suitable sized handy pail (10 litre) and top the pail up with just enough water.  Leave it standing that way for a while, any bubbles then investigate.  I test them every fill like as above. 

You would probably waste more than the 10 litres of water washing all those suds off yours.  Keep it for the garden matey.

Had one brand new keg where the beer out post was not done up properly and "O" ring on that post did not seal but all other new ones have been good = no leaks.

Cheers - AL

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Then put the inverted keg, still upside down into a suitable sized handy pail (10 litre) and top the pail up with just enough water.

Should be able to find a nice clean bucket for that purpose mate - thanks for the tip Boozer.

And re the below - had a brand newie where the blllardy PRV had a very very slow leak... your method should pick that up but might need to leave submerged for a bit...

Took a few minutes to blow one small soapy bubble... 

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Had one brand new keg where the beer out post was not done up properly and "O" ring on that post did not seal

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Thanks 1

Hey Keglords. 
ive got An issue...... I have a kolsch on A keg and also an NEIPA on another. I have a total of 4 kegs/taps all sharing a gas line, but currently only 2 are pouring. 

the kolsch Was kegged first about 2 weeks prior to the NEIPA.

the kolsch was pouring perfectly. 

i forced carbed the NEIPA on Monday.

i go to pour a kolsch today and I’ve got a schooner full of foam.

the NEIPA is pouring fine. 

I de tangled lines, fearing a pinched line somewhere......I purged and reset the reg PSI. Temps are good. Glasses are good. 

when I first encountered the problem an hour ago I noticed my reg had crept up a bit, from 12 to 18ish....dunno why... 

could it be over carbed some how? 

it seems to be coming out of the tap foamy rather than foaming once it hits the glass. 

any helps on where to look would be great.

thank ya!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Is the Keg getting close to empty?  Think the foamfest can happen if levels are long way down from earlier on with the same or elevated pressure.

I had this last night with my Altbier... and it is getting low.  Have let off some gas and am going to try pouring on the weekend again...

I think letting off some gas and leave equilibrate for a bit - or even a couple of burps - think this can help Mitchie and try pour again.  I am with you on this one mate as this is very frustrating...

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 7/8/2020 at 10:52 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

I can't tell from the big boobs babes washing my windscreen

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey Keglords. 
ive got An issue...... I have a kolsch on A keg and also an NEIPA on another. I have a total of 4 kegs/taps all sharing a gas line, but currently only 2 are pouring. 

the kolsch Was kegged first about 2 weeks prior to the NEIPA.

the kolsch was pouring perfectly. 

i forced carbed the NEIPA on Monday.

the NEIPA is pouring fine. 

I de tangled lines, fearing a pinched line somewhere......I purged and reset the reg PSI. Temps are good. Glasses are good. 

when I first encountered the problem an hour ago I noticed my reg had crept up a bit, from 12 to 18ish....dunno why... 

could it be over carbed some how? 

it seems to be coming out of the tap foamy rather than foaming once it hits the glass. 

any helps on where to look would be great.

thank ya!

Hey Mitch, ya didn't force carb the NEIPA at high psi whilst your gas line was still connected to the kolsch did ya? If ya did then you also force carbed your kolsch as well and hence over carbed it and sure enough foam will be the result.

If you did not do the above BUT connected up a high psi keg to a low psi keg in parallel they will try to equalize somewhere between the two pressures.  i.e. the kolsch will go higher and the NEIPA will go lower to match so that's why you now have 18 psi in your system.

I always disconnect my other keg/s when force carbing a new recruit and wait for the new recruit to absorb and get down around the serving pressure of my other kegs.

Just thinking out loud here matey.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

On a serious note.. you don't need suds like that. If there's a leak just a Tsp of washing liquid in 1ltr of water.

too much suds can make pinpointing a hassle

Edited by JoeB7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

I can't tell from the big boobs babes washing my windscreen

Do "they" ( . )( . ) squeak when they rub up against your windscreen?  If they do then you know your windscreen is clean so good job. ha ha🤣

Cheers - AL

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

The old Palmolive dish washing lady would be proud. 😊

Hey @iBooz2 thanks heaps mate. 
I’d say that’s exactly what’s happened as I definitely disconnected the kolsch before force carbing....

Is the kolsch over carbed at this point? I took it off the gas last night before bed and burped the keg so it’s been sitting over night off the gas...

moving forward, so I avoid this next time... how long should I wait for a full forced carbed keg to absorb before I hook her up if I’ve got 2 or 3 others at varied levels all at the same serving pressure?

thanks heaps!

6 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey @iBooz2 thanks heaps mate. 
I’d say that’s exactly what’s happened as I definitely disconnected the kolsch before force carbing....

Is the kolsch over carbed at this point? I took it off the gas last night before bed and burped the keg so it’s been sitting over night off the gas...

moving forward, so I avoid this next time... how long should I wait for a full forced carbed keg to absorb before I hook her up if I’ve got 2 or 3 others at varied levels all at the same serving pressure?

thanks heaps!

Whats you force carb procedure? 40 PSI for 24 hours?

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Yep. Once the 24hrs is up I’ll disconnect gas, burp the keg, let it sit for a while then, reconnect 

Depressure your lines as well via either the prv on you regulator or depress the disconnect. I found this helped me in the past when I had one gas line feeding three kegs. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put my Three C's Pale into the keg tonight after a 5 day cold crash. As it was going in, it looked like some small hop flakes were making their way into the keg too. Dunno why - have never had this issue previously so long as I cold crashed for a few days to settle them out. I think some of it was stuck in the thick annoying US-05 Krausen and when I started filling the keg the disturbance has caused it to break loose from the Krausen and into the beer.

Maybe I'll have to go back to the old hop sock.

Fingers crossed there isn't enough to cause blockages. I can handle tossing the first few schooners if they have floaties.

Mitch.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, MitchellScott said:

...Maybe I'll have to go back to the old hop sock.

Chux cloth. 25c each. Fling 'em after you remove it. No cleaning. Easy as.

I hope the beer is nice.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve run out of beer!

Backfilled with a pale ale featuring Gladfields Biscuit malt. 50 for 20 for pouring tomorrow  

I had NFI what you were talking about here. Then I segmented it & figured it out.

In a nutshell, you'll have home brewed beer to drink tomorrow.  LOL! 🙄 😜

Lusty.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I had NFI what you were talking about here. Then I segmented it & figured it out.

In a nutshell, you'll have home brewed beer to drink tomorrow.  LOL! 🙄 😜

Lusty.

Didn’t realise I was so cryptic. 
Mmmm Beer