Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

My kegerator is set at zero, it fluctuates a bit above and below that, but the beer in the kegs sits at zero. If it's warmer I find it foams too much and also the beer isn't very cold by the time the glass is filled, which doesn't suit the majority of the beer I drink. 

I would also do the 40psi overnight. 30 psi for two days sounds like overkill to me. Serving pressure is also around 10-11psi due to the lower temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why beat around the bush...

Fast Carbing a Keg

There is a settling period where the beer pours consistently well that happens at around 2 days after this method is adopted given my approach.

But if you want to try the beer fresh, you'll get a lovely creamy pour on the day over the first 3-4 by adopting this method (depending on how fast you drink).

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PaddyBrew2 said:

2. you and Kelsey have been passively aggressively sniping for nigh on 3 years 😂

I don't snipe Kelsey. I respect him as a brewer. We don't always agree on everything & we are passionate about our brewing & the way(s) we go about it. I think at times that creates very healthy & positive conversations from those disagreements.

He's offered up a lot of helpful open info that has helped me with my brewing over the years that I am very grateful for. Whether Kelsey is open & honest enough to admit it, I'm sure some things I've said over the journey have also helped him in some areas.

Where appropriate, I'll continue to stir Kelsey & others up on certain fronts where I believe a more expanded view is worthy of discussion.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I don't snipe Kelsey. I respect him as a brewer. We don't always agree on everything & we are passionate about our brewing & the way(s) we go about it. I think at times that creates very healthy & positive conversations from those disagreements.

He's offered up a lot of helpful open info that has helped me with my brewing over the years that I am very grateful for. Whether Kelsey is open & honest enough to admit it, I'm sure some things I've said over the journey have also helped him in some areas.

Where appropriate, I'll continue to stir Kelsey & others up on certain fronts where I believe a more expanded view is worthy of discussion.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Spot on mate. The world would be a very boring place if we were all in agreement on everything. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

ive just kegged her. only got 17 litres in there from the fermentor. May need to rejig my beersmith settings to ensure i get 19. hooked her up to 40 psi for 24 hours ,then i'll set her at 12. i filled the keg with c0s first, then just took the lid off and filled her via sawn off bottle wand and silicone tubing from the bottom up. purged her a few times and shut the kegerator door. 

You should be fine Paddly!  And don't worry about the extra cuppla litres… just get this baby working and go from there.

I reckon you are on your way!

• Like 1

In general for carbing my thoughts are @PaddyBrew2 that the colder the better - you see @Ben 10 Benny has minus...  and I think @Otto Von Blotto is at zero.... 

I have been running at 2degC which is the max... cycles between 1.5-2 with the Inkbird…. 

And mate yer gotta do what the best with whatcha got - the ol' hand who started me off - said 3.5m minimum of beer line.... 

And that is what I have and has been good IN MY VERY FIRST KEG....  so the Brewers and Keggers on this site may know better....

My gut feel is if you want more bubbles - spritzig - in your beer - you amp up the PSI.... but you need longer lines for friction loss to stop the foaming.....

So I can tell you one thing - when you pour your VERY FIRST GLASS - don't use a small vessel...  

• Like 1

Yeah I tried that "instacarb" method early on but didn't really like the results. Probably didn't do it quite right, however I've had no need to use it anyway. A lot of the time my kegs go in at room temperature as there's usually no room in there on the day they're actually filled. It takes a day to chill them down, so using the 40-45psi overnight gets them carbonated in exactly the same time as waiting for them to chill then doing the instacarb, and it's less work 😂

I have used the method with soda water when I can't be bothered waiting for it to carbonate on serving pressure, but it doesn't foam up like beer does so I've had success there.

• Like 1

The markings on this reg are fckd .  In increments of ten there should be four markings denoting 2,4,6,8 and then your ten figure which is marked 10,20,30 etc

but in this gauge there are only 3 marks between 0 and 10 and then it increases to the standard four 

the mother is staying with me until Xmas so I just borrowed her bifocals to set it to 12 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

The markings on this reg are fckd .  In increments of ten there should be four markings denoting 2,4,6,8 and then your ten figure which is marked 10,20,30 etc

but in this gauge there are only 3 marks between 0 and 10 and then it increases to the standard four 

the mother is staying with me until Xmas so I just borrowed her bifocals to set it to 12 

Yep I found the same with mine, dunno who made the markings but anyway......

Use the KPA gauge as Kelsey advised, and go for around 82KPA. But even that scale is fu**ed up... I don't know why KegLand did it like that. makes things so difficult.

Also - regarding dropping the gas from 40PSI to 12, I have a manifold with check valves in it, so what I do and find works great is turn off all outputs on my manifold, unscrew the regulator so that there is no gas going through it, then relieve the slight amount of pressure in the gas line by using the PRV on the reg, once the pressure it out, screw in the reg to 12PSI and open back up the manifold. That way your not wasting your gas that is in the keg and it will be absorbed into the beer instead. Happy days!

Sounds hard but literally takes 20secs to do.

Enjoy 🙂

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 2

I'm going to post on the KegLand FB gorup and ask why and how to read the MK4 one properly. Cause the way they have designed it makes it bloody hard to get an accurate reading. Looking at it now I think I've had mine set to 14PSI all along. Probably explains why I still get a bit of foaming with 4.5m of beer line. I'll double check it when I'm home.

• Like 1