Jump to content
Beer Baron

Changing 60 Minute Hop Additions

Recommended Posts

I’m really bad at designing recipes and all of my 60 minute additions usually contain the hops that I use in the back end of my hop schedule. 

Sometimes this is more expensive and most likely a waste of hops so this next brew has a 60 minute magnum addition for neutral bittering. 

Last time I tried citra I wasn’t a big fan but I have to try everything twice!!

Feel free to critique any part of my recipe. 

 

Beer: Hoppy Pale Ale 

Batch: 23L

OG: 1.049

FG: 1.009 

IBU: 38

ABV: 5.3%

EBC: 12

 

4.70kgs Pale Malt 90%

0.25kgs Caramunich 1 5% 

0.25kgs Oats 5% (for mouthfeel)  

Mashed at 67 degrees for 60 mins

Mash out at 75 degrees for 10 mins

 

10gms Magnum @60

10gms each of Citra and Amarillo @30

20gms each of Citra and Amarillo @5

10gms each of Citra and Amarillo added after wort dropped to below 80 degrees

30gms each of Citra and Amarillo dry hopped

Yeast: US-05 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Beer Baron.

The oats will likely contribute to a haziness in the final beer without the use of fining agents &/or a beta-glucan/step mash. If you don't use fining agents throughout your processes I'd expect a little haze (personally never bothers me). CaraPils is a fairly good substitute at around the same weight to give you similar mouthfeel with improved clarity under similar circumstances (IMHO).

Your hop schedule & yeast choice look really good. 😎

Ben10 & others have more experience with cereal mashes than I do, so hopefully they chime in with their thoughts regarding how best to deal with effects produced by the oats.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Beer Baron.

The oats will likely contribute to a haziness in the final beer without the use of fining agents &/or a beta-glucan/step mash. If you don't use fining agents throughout your processes I'd expect a little haze (personally never bothers me). CaraPils is a fairly good substitute at around the same weight to give you similar mouthfeel with improved clarity under similar circumstances (IMHO).

Your hop schedule & yeast choice look really good. 😎

Ben10 & others have more experience with cereal mashes than I do, so hopefully they chime in with their thoughts regarding how best to deal with effects produced by the oats.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Thanks for the tip. Hazy beer doesn’t bother me the slightest although I try to make my lagers clear 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beer Baron said:

Thanks for the tip. Hazy beer doesn’t bother me the slightest although I try to make my lagers clear 🤔 

Oats are more often used in dark beer recipes to improve mouthfeel as due to the darkness of the beer colour the haziness from the oats isn't even noticed. 😉

If I regularly made dark ales & stouts etc. where cloudiness counts for FA, I'd use oats in preference to pretty much any body building/mouthfeel grain as I reckon it's mouthfeel qualities are second to none.

For clarity reasons, it just doesn't seem as flexible as some other grains particularly in lighter coloured beers. If you use a fining agent to clarify a light beer using this grain you strip much of the advantage (mouthfeel-wise) that this grain gives as you are forcing much of the mouthfeel giving properties out of solution.

Cheers,

Lusty.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the fining agent. Polyclar doesn't affect malt based particles in the beer so while it does remove haze, it doesn't remove body or mouthfeel. If you're using oats you're probably expecting a bit of haze anyway.

The only thing I'd do is use a kettle fining late in the boil. It won't affect the body or mouthfeel either but it will at least prevent the beer being full of hot break crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try and use BrewBright in all brews no matter what style but sometimes I forget🙄  

I’m happy with a bit of haze from the oats if it means a better mouthfeel. 

Beer Baron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2019 at 7:37 PM, Beerlust said:

Oats are more often used in dark beer recipes to improve mouthfeel as due to the darkness of the beer colour the haziness from the oats isn't even noticed. 😉

 

Hey Lusty - and all ye Master Brewers - am going to do WB06 Wheat beer next at around 25 deg C with Saf Ale WB06 - but after that back to a dark ale. 

Am keen on getting that creamy head and nice soft mouthfeel... in a dark beer without any concern of clarity.

I have (for brekky) a nice hand oat-roller... so roll fresh oat kernels for porridge which avoids oxidation/rancid factors... is good.

Soooo ... in a 23L brew... with a can of Coopers Dark Ale - or Stout - got both to use up... and plenty of LDME...  so am thinking Can + 2kg LDME...

BUT then how much freshly rolled oats would I use for a standard 23L brew and do I just stew them up in a few L of water and sieve into the Vat or ?

Thank you

Bearded Burbler

Edited by Bearded Burbler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×