Coopers Community

Red-X Malt & CaraRed

Beerlust

9 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

.... send me one of these if you think it is worthy...

Yeah if it turns out well I'll definitely send you one up.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, Ben 10 said:

...I have used this https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/grains-and-malts-castle-malts/castle-cara-ruby in my flanders red with a little caraaroma as well and that is a very nice deep red colour, although unable to present for a photoshoot as it is still underage.

I reckon you had some of this grain in the "Benny's Big Red Rye" you sent me down last time. It has almost identical specs to Weyermann's CaraRed. 😉

10 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

... you will have a flanders coming sometime.

I can't remember ever sampling one of these beers, so will look forward to that. Was this the one you used BRETT with? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

"Benny's Big Red Rye" you sent me down last time.

yes, first time i had used that one. more red comes from the roast barley in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Was this the one you used BRETT with? 🤔

sure is. 

13 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

yes, first time i had used that one. more red comes from the roast barley in my opinion.

I'm hearin' ya. If the colour isn't quite as red as I'd like, but the flavour is good, I'll likely add a bit of roasted barley into the next batch.

17 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

...sure is. 

Shall I stock up on bleach? 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

16 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Totally unrelated to brewing but I'm just off for my twice-weekly coffee catchup with a former Split Enzer.   I'll let him know you named a beer after his old band.  😉

Pretty hard to narrow that down when there’s been like 18 of em 🤪

👍🏼

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

There was only one called Eddie though  😉

Maybe it was this guy...

Comedian - Steven Wright:

The other day I got on an elevator, this old guy got in with me... I was over near the buttons, & pushed number four & I said "where you going?", he said "Phoenix". so I pushed 'Phoenix'. Doors opened, two tumbleweeds blew in. we stepped off & we were in downtown Phoenix. I said "you know you're the kind of guy I'd really like to hang out with." He said "well I'm going out to the desert, you wanna go?" I said sure... so we hopped in his car and started driving out to the desert. He told me he spent most of his life working on a research project for the government trying to find out who financed the pyramids. He worked on it 30 years and they paid him an incredible amount of money... He told them he was pretty sure it was a guy named "Eddie".

🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've only skimmed the thread but the one time I used carared I didn't find it made the colour any redder than a light crystal. 

If you're happy with the flavour, it might be worth keeping the malts the same as you have been and simply adding 20-30g of chocolate malt or black patent to get that redder hue without affecting flavour.

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...the one time I used carared I didn't find it made the colour any redder than a light crystal.

Were you at Band Camp? 😜

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've only skimmed the thread...If you're happy with the flavour, it might be worth keeping the malts the same as you have been and simply adding 20-30g of chocolate malt or black patent to get that redder hue without affecting flavour.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

...If the colour isn't quite as red as I'd like, but the flavour is good, I'll likely add a bit of roasted barley into the next batch.

Yep, you were definitely skimming. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived