Coopers Community

Red-X Malt & CaraRed

Beerlust

Hi guys.

I'm planning a Pale Ale style beer but with a different tint/hue to it. Although my recent batches of beers have been tasting great, I thought the colour of my beers had become a little generic & boring, so I want to do something about that. I recently bought 500gms of each of these malts to give them a try to help me throw a reddish hue on my next pale ale beer.

One thing I didn't know about Red-X malt is that it is considered a base malt, thus has very high potential & fermentability. The CaraRed though is typical of a crystal malt with lower fermentability, but imparts a reddish colour to the wort.

I'm just wanting a reddish tint/hue to the beer without a lot of residual sweetness. Given Red-X Malt only has an EBC around 28, & CaraRed has an EBC around 50, I thought 200-250gms of CaraRed would be enough, & maybe 300-500gms of the Red-X.

I cannot find any flavour descriptors for the Red-X malt. At a guess I'd say it is somewhat like Vienna Malt flavour-wise (given the beers I've seen it used in), but throws a heavier red tint/hue?

I did have a read of a number of posts & looked at a few pics of some good looking beers that guys here on the forum have put up about beers containing Red-X, but not much out there on it's flavour profile. Even from the BestMalz site.

I would appreciate hearing thoughts from guys that have used both or either of these malts in beers they've made & any pics would be a bonus to look at from my perspective to give me an idea of what weights threw what colour & flavour profile etc.

Cheers,

Lusty.

i have used red=x and was not wowed by it. Martin has a fair bit of information regarding it here  https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/grains-and-malts-best-malz/beergrains-and-maltsbest-malz-red-x-malt that has some good advice.

regarding red, i believe caraaroma gives better colour than carared. my little irish red shown below had reasonable colour from caraaroma and roast barley and some light crystal.

i have used this https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/grains-and-malts-castle-malts/castle-cara-ruby in my flanders red with a little caraaroma as well and that is a very nice deep red colour, although unable to present for a photoshoot as it is still underage.

P6190079.thumb.jpg.40b10348bcea4803d6c31cbea8b486df.jpgP7010083.thumb.jpg.6b4ab996beb640cacb555d351ed05029.jpg

52 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Ha ha ha. Maybe put the torch at one end of the field and the beer at the other end 

Ha ha. Here is a dodgy photo with a dolphin torch clearly seen in the background lighting up the base and stem. It just looks creepy now. Thanks for the tip.

292D6CDD-466C-439F-9E46-288A9173ACC9.thumb.jpeg.5e02ab93965acdc1b7368aa5b6139151.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Ha ha. Here is a dodgy photo with a dolphin torch clearly seen in the background lighting up the base and stem. It just looks creepy now. Thanks for the tip.

292D6CDD-466C-439F-9E46-288A9173ACC9.thumb.jpeg.5e02ab93965acdc1b7368aa5b6139151.jpeg

Maybe you should be like my wife and not listen to anything I say ha ha ha😂

After drinking through a batch of my 100% Red-X beer, I probably wouldn't make it again. Tasted like Munich on steroids as the hops dropped out a little. If I tried it again I would up the hopping, eg IPA levels vs smooth balanced lager levels.

I don't think a little bit of Red-X will give you much colour influence, but working with what you have, maybe using 500g of that plus 250g Carared for a 23l batch would be a good start. 

Cheers, 

John 

Thanks a heap for your thoughts, pics, & links guys. Much appreciated. It's given me a few ideas.  🙂

You can also use other malts (with these two) to encourage a colour in this direction & I have a plan in mind now. I'm not specifically looking for any particular colour, just something away from my usual grist colour, & red seemed like a nice colour zone to head towards.

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

The I am drinking right now is the Rocks Red IIPA. I will take a photo when I pour the next one.

These are the details on the can with regards to Gladfield malts.

CC96B314-5DD6-4EC7-B70F-48ECAAACE883.thumb.jpeg.2d7ddc4414964a90ada6889ea4825eea.jpeg

Interesting you put this up when you did Hairy. I was looking through the Gladfield Malts website yesterday & they have a home brew recipe for a Red IPA that uses a similar grist.

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/home-brewer/brewing-recipes/

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I made a Red X Smash and yeah, it was a bit like munich, but I wouldn't say munich on steroids (having also done a munich Smash)

I also made a Red X based Viking Beer and THAT was the best one I've made. I suppose the rye and other things just went together really nicely with it. Good times.

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Thanks a heap for your thoughts, pics, & links guys. Much appreciated. It's given me a few ideas.  🙂

You can also use other malts (with these two) to encourage a colour in this direction & I have a plan in mind now. I'm not specifically looking for any particular colour, just something away from my usual grist colour, & red seemed like a nice colour zone to head towards.

Interesting you put this up when you did Hairy. I was looking through the Gladfield Malts website yesterday & they have a home brew recipe for a Red IPA that uses a similar grist.

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/home-brewer/brewing-recipes/

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

That Red IPA is on my list of beers to brew in 2019

I put this recipe together built around my own knowledge along with the cool info, links & pics you guys offered up.

Spilt Enz Icy Red Pale Ale

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kgs
Light Dry Malt extract 250gms
Coopers Pilsner/Lager Malt grain 500gms
Best Malz Red-X Malt grain 500gms
Weyermann CaraRed grain 300gms
Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt grain 200gms
Dextrose 100gms
Fortnight 15gms @ 60mins
Cascade 20gms @ 15mins
Simcoe 20gms @ 5mins
Riwaka 20gms @ flameout (5min steep prior to cooling)
Cascade, Columbus, Riwaka, & Simcoe 25gms each dry hopped
Harvested CCA yeast (2 litre starter)
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ 19°C
OG = approx. 1.050, FG = ?
EBC = 13.9, IBU = 40.6
ABV = approx. 4.9%

First time down this red path for me so the malt grist may need some tweaking to get it to where I want. Yeast & hop schedule should produce something pretty yum though so happy with that.

What do you guys think?

As the late "Big Kev" used to say, "I'm Excited!!"

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just now, Hairy said:

Love the name!

A slight moment of type 'O'/dyslexia combined with the short time-frame for editing on the Coopers forum. But after re-reading the title a few times,...I like it. 🤣

Thanks for your input mate. Much appreciated. 😉

Lusty.

16 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

the dark wheat, is that like a roast?

No. EBC seems to vary each year with it, but seems to sit between 14-19.

http://shop.beerbelly.com.au/weyermannr-dark-wheat-malt-19-ebc.html

Understand what it gives to the beer it was developed around, then use it like a specialty malt in the beers you like to make I say.

One of the most under-estimated, under-valued, & under-used malt grains with massive upside I can think of when looking at recipes across many spectrums.

A grain that has sooo much going for it (IMHO), it's ridiculous really. I can't believe more brewers aren't using it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

46 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

A grain that has sooo much going for it (IMHO), it's ridiculous really. I can't believe more brewers aren't using it.

I have brewed Dunkelweizen a couple of different ways. The first was based on the usual method I see around in recipes of pale wheat / pils / munich / crystal / roasted malt. The second was with dark wheat / dark munich / pils malt only.

The second was much better!

Edit: Also your recipe sounds tasty. Good luck! 

Cheers, 

John 

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I can't believe more brewers aren't using it.

i have seen that actually and wondered about it.... send me one of these if you think it is worthy... you will have a flanders coming sometime

Archived