Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Gee @BlackSands you make that look so easy. 

Yes, as you can see from the video it only took 2 minutes and 13 seconds!  🤣

Seriously though, it is very easy.  My stove top AG's are relatively quick compared to doing full volume brews.  I typically do 20 litre batches, mash 3.5kg grain to make 12-14 litres of a concentrated wort after sparging which is later topped up to 20 litres in the FV.  Because of the smaller volumes involved it's generally easier to manage and certainly quicker to heat to a boil etc.  Preparation and clean up takes no time at all.   😎

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BlackSands said:

🍑    Peaches Pale Ale

Currently a stove top AG NZPA brewed on Xmas day is chugging along nicely.  I called it "peaches" because of the HORT4337 and Wai-iti hops featured both of which are noted for their peachy notes.  

I got my hands on some HORT 4337 and will use them in one of a series of SMASH batches I have planned. Will be good to see what it is like. I've heard good things about it.

Edited by Aussiekraut

25 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I got my hands on some HORT 4337 and will use them in one of a series of SMASH batches I have planned. Will be good to see what it is like. I've heard good things about it.

Yes... I have a single 4337 hop brew conditioning now. A very peach tasting sample.  Might have a sneak peak tasting of the beer tomorrow to see how it's doing.... that'll be day 12 or 13 in bottle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackSands said:

Yes... I have a single 4337 hop brew conditioning now. A very peach tasting sample.  Might have a sneak peak tasting of the beer tomorrow to see how it's doing.... that'll be day 12 or 13 in bottle.

May I ask what your hop schedule was? 

Day 12 should be quite decent already. 

5 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Is it AG if there’s malt extract ?

550g LME = 14%.

We decided elsewhere, somewhat arbitrarily that 15% non-grain adjuncts was the AG/Partial threshold based percentages often seen in some Belgians and some English ales.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

May I ask what your hop schedule was? 

Day 12 should be quite decent already. 

The recipe is listed elsewhere but it was a simple British Golden ale with a straight forward hop schedule::

• 25g@40 min
  • 25g@10min
  • 25g@FO
  • 25g Dry Hop

Total hops is 100g which quite a bit more than I'd normally use and I don't usually dry hop golden ales either but because this brew was largely about experiencing HORT4337 I've upped the quantity and included a modest dry hop as well.  

49 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

The recipe is listed elsewhere but it was a simple British Golden ale with a straight forward hop schedule::

• 25g@40 min
  • 25g@10min
  • 25g@FO
  • 25g Dry Hop

Total hops is 100g which quite a bit more than I'd normally use and I don't usually dry hop golden ales either but because this brew was largely about experiencing HORT4337 I've upped the quantity and included a modest dry hop as well.  

Cheers for that. It looks very different to what I had in mind. Fairly high IBU according to Beersmith. I was thinking about:

10g @60
10g @30 
30g @FO
30g Dry hop

I think I need to get another lot of the hop to try both and see what the difference is. Taking the in-laws to the airport on Tuesday and the HBS I got the hops from is up there, so I might hop in (pardon the pun) and get more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Cheers for that. It looks very different to what I had in mind. Fairly high IBU according to Beersmith. I was thinking about:

10g @60
10g @30 
30g @FO
30g Dry hop

I think I need to get another lot of the hop to try both and see what the difference is. Taking the in-laws to the airport on Tuesday and the HBS I got the hops from is up there, so I might hop in (pardon the pun) and get more.

My Golden ale works out to be around 35 IBU - middle of the range for the style.   I've weighted the additions fairly late to try maximise flavour and aroma but really, there's any number of timings and quantity distributions that would likely achieve a very similar outcome. 

Just pitched the batch meant for last Monday, a pale ale which I can't remember the recipe of but I do know contains Vic secret and Amarillo and Cascade in varying amounts. Might have thrown in Centennial too but I don't think so. 

Anyway, got 24 litres into the fermenter and it was sitting about 25/26 degrees. OG about 1.052 if I remember right. 

This is the last batch to be pitched this year, next to go in are the leftovers pilsner and perhaps a porter for winter, although I may delay that and put on another ale for more immediate consumption along with the lager, and do the porter after those. 

Bout to do my last batch for the year and last extract brew before I go all grain. 

Can Blue Mountains Lager 

500g Rice Syrup

200g Maltodextrin

200g DLME

25g Hallertau Hop Tea

25g Hallertau dry Hop

Harvested Nottingham @ 15 degrees 

Made to 21L  ABV 3.5%

Getting rid of fermetables that I have had on hand.  

• Like 3

I put down KE2 (Kveik experiment 2) on Saturday.

This tine I used a simple k&k as it is all about the yeast and its flavours. A can of Coopers Lager and a kilo of dry malt extract for a 21l batch.  I pitched 3g @32C and after 24 hours, SG had dropped from 1042 to 1020. I'll take another sample later, once we hit the 48 hour mark. It's been fermenting at around 30C and seems to be happy as Larry.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 8:29 PM, BlackSands said:

550g LME = 14%.

We decided elsewhere, somewhat arbitrarily that 15% non-grain adjuncts was the AG/Partial threshold based percentages often seen in some Belgians and some English ales.

Naaaaaaaaargh... it is AG if you use AG.

If you use other adjuncts whatever percentage it is a Partial.

Otherwise it would be called an All and Something Else Grain.

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I put down KE2 (Kveik experiment 2) on Saturday.

This tine I used a simple k&k as it is all about the yeast and its flavours. A can of Coopers Lager and a kilo of dry malt extract for a 21l batch.  I pitched 3g @32C and after 24 hours, SG had dropped from 1042 to 1020. I'll take another sample later, once we hit the 48 hour mark. It's been fermenting at around 30C and seems to be happy as Larry.

Will you ever be able to use that fermenter again without getting contam from that voracious Kveik organism AK?

Or @Ben 10 am I thinking of the wrong beast here?

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ale at that high temp?  Not 18?

It'd be getting close to it now, that was just the pitching temp since I forgot to put the cube in the brew fridge last night or this morning. 

Lately they've been pitched at about 13 degrees and allowed to warm up because I'm not really gonna get up at 3am to stick a cube in a fridge 😂 so it's either cooler or a couple of degrees warmer. I prefer cooler. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'd be getting close to it now, that was just the pitching temp since I forgot to put the cube in the brew fridge last night or this morning. 

Lately they've been pitched at about 13 degrees and allowed to warm up because I'm not really gonna get up at 3am to stick a cube in a fridge 😂 so it's either cooler or a couple of degrees warmer. I prefer cooler. 

Ideally - we grow our yeast cool and then pitch into warmer?  or same temp?

I thought you or Palmer or someone told me that I should not grow the yeast warm and pitch into cool?

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ideally - we grow our yeast cool and then pitch into warmer?  or same temp?

I thought you or Palmer or someone told me that I should not grow the yeast warm and pitch into cool?

And what of all those Belgian Ales brewed commercially that contain 15% candi sugar?  And all those commercial English ales that contain up 15% sugar of one form or another?  Partials also?

Bollocks. I'm calling it AG.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

And what of all those Belgian Ales brewed commercially that contain 15% candi sugar?  And all those commercial English ales that contain up 15% sugar of one form or another?  Partials also?

Bollocks. I'm calling it AG.  

Nonnnnnnsense.  'Tis a partial.  Pick up yer sacks, grind and make an AG.

• Haha 2