Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

17 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Shamus,

Did the same Pink  Grapefuit IPA , used M44 Yeast ( in date ) 30 odd hrs nothing, pitched a US05 not long ago WTF ?? 

Bit of a worry with new M44.  However, I have read some other comments on the Forum about M44 taking a while to show any activity.

If mine was still in date, I would have happily left it for two days.  But being out of date yeast, I thought it was not worth the risk and pitched the US-05.  It has now got a good and bubbly 1cm krausen.  I do not know if the fermentation is the M44 finally kicking in or the US-05 just doing what it normally does for me.  Biggest risk is possible overpitch if both yeasts are fermenting.  Over-pitching yeast is meant to make a blander beer.  But I do not think this beer will be bland either way.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Bit of a worry with new M44.  However, I have read some other comments on the Forum about M44 taking a while to show any activity.

If mine was still in date, I would have happily left it for two days.  But being out of date yeast, I thought it was not worth the risk and pitched the US-05.  It has now got a good and bubbly 1cm krausen.  I do not know if the fermentation is the M44 finally kicking in or the US-05 just doing what it normally does for me.  Biggest risk is possible overpitch if both yeasts are fermenting.  Over-pitching yeast is meant to make a blander beer.  But I do not think this beer will be bland either way.

Just took a pic of mine, maybe as you suggest the two yeasts are cracking on, no room for a collar as I have an Irish Red Ale above it 🧐

8D779C57-4D90-4C60-80C9-485F55A60BCB.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If your aiming for a circa 1050 OG id just throw it in. If your going higher id consider a 2L starter. You could just throw it in on a higher OG batch and it will get there but the funkiness will increase. Id go low in funk to see if you like it. Dont want you throwing out a whole batch if you dont like it.

Got a nice line up there too mate. Love a kolsch. Got to get around to making one again.

I'll be aiming at 1050 as a min... and less funk for now is good... I'll do a 2L starter with 200g of LDME.  Beaut - thanks mate.

Can you recommend the basics for a Kölsch too mate at all?  Got the Lallelmand Kölsch dry yeast in the fridge. 

Would it be just Pilsener Malt and some Vienna.. German Tradition/Opal for hops...  that is from Palmer... brew at 18 deg C?  Would Tettnang be ok?

38 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I'll be aiming at 1050 as a min... and less funk for now is good... I'll do a 2L starter with 200g of LDME.  Beaut - thanks mate.

Can you recommend the basics for a Kölsch too mate at all?  Got the Lallelmand Kölsch dry yeast in the fridge. 

Would it be just Pilsener Malt and some Vienna.. German Tradition/Opal for hops...  that is from Palmer... brew at 18 deg C?  Would Tettnang be ok?

Yeah pilsner and some vienna is the traditional recipe with german hops like saaz hallertau or tettnang. Kolsch tend to be cold brewed though so id ferment at around 15. Havent seen that kolsch yeast. Might have to get me one of those. I have always used K97 which does a good job but always keen to try a new one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah pilsner and some vienna is the traditional recipe with german hops like saaz hallertau or tettnang. Kolsch tend to be cold brewed though so id ferment at around 15. Havent seen that kolsch yeast. Might have to get me one of those. I have always used K97 which does a good job but always keen to try a new one.

GOLD

Will do 15 deg C

Just now, Bearded Burbler said:

Very nice.  Far rear of photo some hops climbing?

Yeah, they aren't doing that well though. Stupid FN dog. Hasn't eaten any flowers but keeps killing the bines. Gonna put a different barrier up over winter in preparation for next season. The soil probably isn't deep enough either so I'll be getting that sorted too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Still haven't had that from Belle.

Maybe your version of 'peppery' when you grow your own in God's own garden up no the Tableland is maybe a bit more spicy than some Belgian plodder in Brussels version of spice which is not getting hit by a bicycle courier on a late Thursday or wondering whether BJ is gunna expedite Brexit or not?

👹

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Krausen went off in a couple of hours and all over in less than 48. Pretty bad-eggy smell from the FV. Normal? Never used belgian yeasts before.

Yip.  Will last a few days but then dissipates. Perfectly normal 

I have a saison fermented with belle in the fermenter ready to be bottled in the next few days. Three weeks to go from 1.055 to 1.002.  

90% Pilsner with 5% each of Munich and Vienna. Hops are Aramis 25g @ 60mins with 60g of EKG at FO for 10mins.

• Like 2

Pitched the wrong bloody batch. Meant to pitch the pale but pitched the red by mistake. It actually looked the lighter of the two cubes (color). I really need to start putting masking tape or something on them with what they are. Oh well, this one will be the true original recipe being fermented with 1056. I'll just have to make another starter with that yeast for the pale. 

Earlier I discovered the 20 litre cube intended for this lager wasn't clean. Tried to clean it with hot and boiling water but still some shit in it so decided against using it. Ended up using one of the empty distilled water cubes. Had to squeeze the crap out of it since it's 25 litres and obviously the batch was designed for a 20 litre cube. Will soak that 20 litre cube after the flask is done. 

At least the meat smoking went alright. 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Pitched the wrong bloody batch. Meant to pitch the pale but pitched the red by mistake. It actually looked the lighter of the two cubes (color). I really need to start putting masking tape or something on them with what they are. Oh well, this one will be the true original recipe being fermented with 1056. I'll just have to make another starter with that yeast for the pale. 

Earlier I discovered the 20 litre cube intended for this lager wasn't clean. Tried to clean it with hot and boiling water but still some shit in it so decided against using it. Ended up using one of the empty distilled water cubes. Had to squeeze the crap out of it since it's 25 litres and obviously the batch was designed for a 20 litre cube. Will soak that 20 litre cube after the flask is done. 

At least the meat smoking went alright. 

Bugger mate, any pics of the meat smoking, or is that in the BBQ thread ?

I have a tropical pale in the fermenter. It felt wrong doing this, but I took some slurry out, about 2/3 of it and dumped the cube on top of the rest if the slurry...not very exact, maybe I should of took the time to clean the fermenter but I rolled the dice and did it. I contained the dry hop from the last brew, which was the same recipe, so the slurry was just dregs and yeast...we will see.

It took off, had air lock activity, within 4 hours of dumping the cube in. Smells alright, I will take a sample in a day or two. Now brew day.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 3