Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

3 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Yeah I mixed the shit outta mine so I'd say the extra water must've been the reason why it was low. 

It's finished at 1.010 so still a reasonable 4.8% ABV.

300mL extra won't drop the OG by 7 points. Be lucky if it dropped it one point. Either way I'd go with the calculated OG over the measured one. Your beer is more around the 5.3-5.5% ABV, as the extra dextrose would have pushed the OG up to 1.050. 

• Like 1

Another quick kit a bits brew... I have an extra drinker in the house for the next few months and I need to get my stocks up!  I'd actually run two fermenters but my fridge aint big enough.  🤨

Anyway... grabbed a Real Ale can, a can of blonde LME (Black Rock), steeped some toffee malt and threw in 25g styrian goldings hops for a 5min boil.  Will probably toss the remaining 25g in dry.  Notty yeast.  OG=1.044 down to 1.022 two days later @18ºC.    

Also bought ingredients for the next batch to immediately follow:  "Supernova PA" - a partial using 2kg GF American Ale malt, 400g GF Supernova malt, Coopers Lager can and 100g of Kohatu and Pacifica hops distributed throughout.

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

What's OUT OF YOUR FERMENTER? 

… did the All Grain Bayerisch style Hefeweizen bottling after ten days at 17 deg C with Wyeast liquid W3068 and plenty of FV activity... down to 1.010 so will keep at 17 deg C in the bottle for a few weeks and see what the result turns out like.  Everything has been smelling GREAT so hopefully the final step goes ok and the flavour out of the bottle will be nice too.  Tried both Coopers Carb Lollies and an all-malt bulk prime so will be interesting to see how that works out too.

The last few bottlings I was lucky to have some assistance... none today... can understand why so many of you are happy with kegging!

image.thumb.png.0ebcb627da554ce831d6171d59514d76.png

• Like 11

My first All Grain in which I’m calling done at 1.011. I’ll give it another day or 2 before I crash an bottle. A basic Pale ale but it’s tasting great so far. 

5kg pale malt

.5kg light crystal

11g warrior @60

10g centennial @15

10g citra @15

10g centennial WP

10g citra WP

25g ea of centennial, citra & mosaic DH

OG 1.046

FG 1.011

A touch over 5% once bottled

35IBU

92DADB40-E193-415D-8092-FB22CB80DE93.jpeg

• Like 15

11 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

My first All Grain in which I’m calling done at 1.011. I’ll give it another day or 2 before I crash an bottle. A basic Pale ale but it’s tasting great so far. 

5kg pale malt

.5kg light crystal

11g warrior @60

10g centennial @15

10g citra @15

10g centennial WP

10g citra WP

OG 1.046

FG 1.011

35IBU

Mint! Looks awesome. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, MitchBastard said:

5kg pale malt

.5kg light crystal

11g warrior @60

10g centennial @15

10g citra @15

10g centennial WP

10g citra WP

OG 1.046

FG 1.011

35IBU

GOLD.  Looks great MB.  And it only gets better after the first one!!!

• Like 1

Split batch today using a Coopers Real Ale can, Light Dry Malt and Vic Secret hops

Real Ale

• 0.85kg Coopers Real Ale
  • 500g Light Dry Malt
  • Brew Can Yeast - Rehydrated

Really Secret Ale

• 0.85kg Coopers Real Ale
  • 500g Light Dry Malt
  • In 4L with 400g of the LDM:
  • 25g Vic Secret Hops 10min boil
  • 25g Vic Secret Hops 20min steep
  • Cool for 15mins
  • Brew can yeast - Rehydrated 
  • Planning to dry hop with 25g Vic Secret Hops toward end of ferment

Quite interested to taste the difference between these two.

Brewed the plain Real Ale half because so many rave about it, so wanted to give it a try.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

FV 1 IPA 67 (my style)
FV 2 IPA 67 ( @Beerlust style)
FV3 MJ Rosé cider
FV4 TPW
FV5 TPW
FV6 Flanders red (in 25/05)
FV7 still on the shelf, need to passivate the stainless.

so BT just as a clarification... you have 6 FVs percolating merrily awaiting bottling or kegging?

And what is your SS FV passivating treatment... I just started brewing (rainwater and AG)  in my SS Vat.... ?

5 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, 6 on the go. No idea about passivating but the instructions said I should so I will.

So what do we do to passivate the SS - I just went off and brewed regardless... any passivating advice?

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Oh, and FV is just sitting there getting RANK. @The Captain!! has a bottle, unsure if he has drunk it yet?

I do have one. After the little homeless guy kicking it all the way from far North Queensland, I thought I should leave it a little bit. 

But don’t worry, there’s a countdown for the amount of days until I can have it. Wednesday afternoon will be the time. 

Same with @Beerlust long neck he sent me. After all the shacking I wanted to give the brew sometime to settle out.

15 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I do have one. After the little homeless guy kicking it all the way from far North Queensland, I thought I should leave it a little bit. 

But don’t worry, there’s a countdown for the amount of days until I can have it. Wednesday afternoon will be the time. 

Same with @Beerlust long neck he sent me. After all the shacking I wanted to give the brew sometime to settle out.

Looking to send a few longnecks to a few friends. Do you guys just send the PET? or have you worked out a method for Glass bottles?

21 minutes ago, Gully85 said:

Looking to send a few longnecks to a few friends. Do you guys just send the PET? or have you worked out a method for Glass bottles?

Hey mate, I send pet now as it’s lighter and I guess easier to send. It also helps when bottling from a keg.