Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

4 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Wouldn't a stick mixer chop up the seeds too? 🤔

Best way to get the juice out of fruit is to freeze it. You could crush the thawed berries in a bowl with the bottom of a wine bottle, but gently, to avoid crushing the seeds.

Raspberries and blackberries are seedy. In country wine making we go through a lot of effort to limit tannin extraction from the seeds. With beer you use a lot less fruit, and the alcohol level is lower, so it is less of an issue, but I still think it is a good idea to try keep the seeds intact. For the same reason I would not leave seedy fruits in the beer too long.  Take them out as soon as fermentation subsides. Containing them in a bag makes them easy to remove.

Cheers,

Christina.

Good points Christina. Smoothing them up might work better. I have heard of people.using the potato masher and that would keep all seeds intact but burst the berries. I suppose a stick mixer with the whisk attachment could work but it might introduce a bit of oxygen into the beer.

When I added raspberries to my Berliner Weisse, I thawed in packet and just dumped them in. There were a lot of whole berries floating at the top and we talked about it on another thread. Next time I will definitely.mush to get the most out of the fruit.

When I added 1kg of passionfruit pulp I was careful not to break seeds. I just shook the hell out of the pulp in an attempt.to release the juice from around the seeds. Seemed to work OK!

• Like 1

Got a plain ol' Hefeweizen in the FV.

Cold weather set in this weeked and the temp control fridge started beeping this morning to say the temp had dropped below my ideal. 

Rigged the heating belt and got it back up to 19.

Was going to keep this one plain as it's my first attempt, but getting my hands on some lemon myrtle this week and may drop that in to give it some kick as a Lemon zest weizen.

• Like 2

My Kilowog Krush is about gone after 2 weeks of footy and family so I have put down a Dr Smurto inspired brew called Professor Simarillo and the Azacca Warrior.

1.5 kg  light liquid malt, black rock

300g carapils

450g wheat dry malt extract

550 light dry malt extract

250g dextrose

10 liter boil with the carapils wort and 900 grams of malt

8g of warrior at 60min

10g simcoe and Amarillo 10 min boil

25g simcoe, Amarillo and azacca at flameout with a 15 min steep then cooled to pitching temp.

55g dry hop of simcoe and Amarillo

40g dry hop of azacca.

Nottingham yeast at 18c for 4 days then 20c for 3 days, 22c for 3 days and then a 4 day cold crash is the plan.

1.045 OG expecting 1.010ish around 35 IBU.

Should be ready by the time this keg blows.

Cheer

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

In the jungle of Haiti, Professor Simarillo is on the hunt for the riches of the God of Agriculture. He hopes to come away with a rich banquet of oranges and tangerines with a nice array of tropical fruit golden ales to last him a lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Norris! said:

In the jungle of Haiti, Professor Simarillo is on the hunt for the riches of the God of Agriculture. He hopes to come away with a rich banquet of oranges and tangerines with a nice array of tropical fruit golden ales to last him a lifetime.

Norris! Seriously if I ever open my brewery, I’m going to release a special release of fantasy beers with story lines.

I want you to be the bloke who writes the descriptions!

Bloody gold mate

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Norris! Seriously if I ever open my brewery, I’m going to release a special release of fantasy beers with story lines.

I want you to be the bloke who writes the descriptions!

Bloody gold mate

I used to call my brews ale 1 and ale 2 until one day YOU were like "Norris you need better names..." so now I take a moment to consider my motivations and what a cool can would look like and what it would have on it....you know dream a little. I figured this one had to reference the good Dr, while also explicitly telling someone this has simcoe  Amarillo and azacca with a pinch of warrior. So then Indiana Jones came on and boom!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Norris! said:

YOU were like

Whoopsy daisy. Let that cat out the bag. Ha ha ha. 

55 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I figured this one had to reference the good Dr, while also explicitly telling someone this has simcoe  Amarillo and azacca with a pinch of warrior. So then Indiana Jones came on and boom!

Love the thought process there mate. Killer.

Pretty much every final beer recipe I have has a name. Most I haven’t posted on here because they aren’t PC, so to speak, as I have a twisted sense of humour at times.

Either that or musically orientated

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Haha 1

On the raspberry seeds getting smashed open with a blender topic, my 2c worth, from my quite limited experience, I have done this with strawberries for my first fruited sour berliner weisse. . Clearly just dumping whole strawberries into a brew would probably take many months to break out the goodness inside them.

So I heated them in a pot, which would serve to both break the cells and also pasteurise them. There were still lots of large chunks however, as I didn’t want to stew the life out of them and be left with no flavour.

So I did blend them briefly with a stick blender into a puree, and added the whole lot to the brew at end primary fermentation.

First taste from the primary FV after the berries had fermented out, was wow, how about that fresh strawberry, closely followed by crikey, that’s like sucking on a tea bag astringency…

Quick google revealed that this would be tannins from those seeds I blended.. So I resigned myself to possibly being the only one who would drink this batch. But hope was there with some info I found about using finings to drop out the tannins. Sure enough after my usual treatment with half a teaspoon of gelatine, and a couple of days at -0.5°C, the astringency was greatly reduced. After a week, was tasting sensational. I think I gave it another couple of days, then bottled.

Turned out to be a real cracker of a brew with peeps really loving this one. After some hot storage conditions after a couple of months, it did lose a bit of the fresh fruit character and developed a slight ethyl acetate “nail polish remover’ /acetone off flavour but that was to be expected with strawberries. Commercial craft brewers, mainly the sour guys, don’t use strawberries for the reason that they are prone to this one.

In any case, cold crashing with polyclar or gelatine or other polyphenol dropping fining will remove this type of astringency.

I think this is why Baltic porter is so smooth, the astringency from the dark malts is eradicated by the lagering this beer is supposed to undergo. I happen to have just made one on the weekend, all grain, my first double or re-iterated mash, not far from 10kg grain bill, managed circa 80% mash efficiency, OG 1.078, pitched onto a fresh W34/70 yeast cake from a lager I have just made. 1cm krausen after 10 hrs, at 8°C!

I can taste astringency in the wort for the Baltic porter, I did squeeze the life out of both sets of spent grain, and did sparge each with 2L of 80°C water. I am confident though that after lagering this beast of a beer, it will be smooth with massive chocolate/coffee/plum/raisin and other dark fruit character, and will be a great winter warmer J

• Like 3

Some more notes about fruit additions, that was my first of my ‘summer series’ of berliner weisse and catharina sours. I then made a nectarine, followed by cherry and then passionfruit, drinking the passionfruit now, bliss in a bottle.

What I did with the passionfruit was to get the pulp out of a 6kg box from the Flemington markets, then freeze in jars until I was ready. I wanted to avoid a whole bunch of fruit matter in the brew, and wanted to add to primary without messing about with racking to secondary, like a did with the cherry, (not that this caused any oxidation issues anyway with that one).

So I grabbed a spare brand new BIAB nylon close weave mesh bag, and put the thawed passion fruit pulp in to this, then proceeded to squeeze the life out of it. I managed to get heaps of juice out, leaving the pulp and seeds behind in the bag. I saved the seeds and pulp, and ate that over time on homemade greek yoghurt, in kombucha etc, and despite being seed heavy, was a very enjoyable use of waste product that otherwise would reduce brewhouse efficiency in the trub that woud get thrown away and prevent me harvesting the yeast.

The nectarines and cherries were another story, I did blend the nectarines, the cherries got mashed with a potato masher after cooking both up to about 75 to 80c to pasteurise. So heaps of loss in trub with those in comparison to the passionfruit one.  

6 minutes ago, joolbag said:

I'm bringing my passionfruit Catharina sour to the Wednesday meeting Mark.  I am keen to compare mine to yours!

Great stuff! Looking forward to that too, I will be there, with my version on board. I actually forgot that I had three jars of pulp in the freezer, I wanted to add all three. I estimate that from the 6kg box, I yielded about 1.6 kg of pulp, and I did measure how much juice I squeezed out using the nylon bag, it was only 700ml which I thought was really low, but the third missing jar explains that.

Still, it does have a nice balance, not overpowered, I think if too strong it may start to taste like alcoholic passiona. I did think it was tasting quite tart, which I like, but measured PH of a degassed sample and it was 3.21, and happy with that. Pretty much the same as the soured wort, despite the significant amount of ascorbic acid that is in the passionfruit.   You need to degas as the carbonic acid throws the reading I have read. 

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Another question about fruit additions. When do you add them. Im about 10 points from finishing primary ferment. Should i wait or add them now?

You could add now, the only reason you wait til end primary fermentation is to avoid scrubbing out volatile flavour compounds, the same reason brewers dry hop as fermentation subsides. 

9 minutes ago, headmaster said:

You could add now, the only reason you wait til end primary fermentation is to avoid scrubbing out volatile flavour compounds, the same reason brewers dry hop as fermentation subsides. 

Ok mate i will leave another day then add them.

I put down a Black Rock Wakatu Pilsener kit a week ago. Going 1kg malt for a some body and will dry hop with 100g Perle.

Very little action at 10C for a few days, so have upped it to 13C. I'm using M84 yeast and it's suggested 10-15C is good.

Given it's a pils with lager yeast, is 10 days going to be long enough for this one? This is my first attempt at a proper pils + lager yeast. I've no idea what FG it should be getting to, as the BR kit says about 1014, but comes with an ale yeast, which I haven't used.

22 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bump it up to 18 after a couple more days, it should finish in around 10 days but as always confirm with hydrometer readings. I always leave mine for 14 days before starting the ramp down to lagering temps. 

Cheers Otto. Any idea of a FG range, or just stick with the usual 'stable for 48 hours...'

Is 2 days enough to cold crash this, or do I have to leave this for longer? I assume it needs storing for 4 weeks in the bottle as well.

If I had to guess I'd say between 1.010-1.014, maybe a little under 1.010. But yes stable for 48 hours in that range should be fine.

I would also crash it for at least a week. A slow ramp down will work better than a straight crash as well. Give it a couple of days after it hits FG, then drop it to 12. After that drop it 2 or 3 degrees each day down to 3-4 degrees and hold for a week, then bottle. Allow to carbonate then if possible store cold for a month or two. Should turn out well.

Hi all, 

Trying my hand at dry hopping for the first time on my 3rd brew, primary fermentation has been 6 days now. Is that enough time to drop my dry hops in for 3 days to bottle on Thursday? Currently sitting at 1.010 as a pale ale. 

TIA