Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

I'd try my luck but none of my brews thus far have strayed enough away from the Coopers recipes.

How much is enough?

Scenario -
I taste one of your beers and like it so much that I ask for your recipe.
You oblige with the recipe and I have a go at making it myself.  I substitute one ingredient because I don't have it and/or can't get it.  Although the recipe is based on yours, technically the recipe I used is mine and mine alone.  Therefore, I can happily submit it to MOTB. 😉  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Therefore, I can happily submit it to MOTB. 😉  

Cheers @PB2 - you've nearly inspired me to read more of that legalese...

If my K9 comes out ok I'll consider it only because it's timely.

I also have an Aussie-hopped bastard of the Shark Attack XPA I'm trying next which will probably fit the bill.
At least I know that one is a crowd pleaser.

Edited by elLachlano
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PB2 said:

I like beer.  No, I love beer!

After evaluating so many (potentially thousands) of beer samples...

If the final panel of judges hasn't yet been selected Paul, I'm guessing given you're part of the Coopers family, that little passage there should guarantee you a spot! 🤣

Good luck trying to worm your way out of that! 🤣🤣😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I honestly think beer judging would be very draining. 

I take my hat off to people that do it all the time. 

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble there Capt, but I'm pretty sure it's NOT a fulltime job. 😜

The only "draining" part is that of the contents of the glass. If given enough time, I could probably think of 1 million things harder to earn a dollar. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble there Capt, but I'm pretty sure it's NOT a fulltime job. 😜

The only "draining" part is that of the contents of the glass. If given enough time, I could probably think of 1 million things harder to earn a dollar. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah yeah🤪

More talking about the guys that do it all the time/on a regular basis. Like the John Palmer’s of the world. Now I’m not saying John Palmer is a BJCP judge, I’m just saying there’s a lot of people out there that fly around from state to state (in their home country) judging Homebrew comps. 

Steward: Here sir, here’s your latest round of buttery lagers.

Judge: humph, not another round of these, why can’t homebrewers know how to ferment beer without these issues before placing these beers into competitions. 

Thats what I’m getting at.  

100 samples of lager, with 20 of them being worth a taste. If you think lagers are ok that is. 

THAT would be draining. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PB2 said:

I like beer.  No, I love beer!

After evaluating so many (potentially thousands) of beer samples.  I would rather not judge beer...

Yeah, with the AIBA awards that just happened (75 judges for nearly 2500 beers)... Being a part of that massive exercise would take the shine off it really quickly!

And the Coopers entry cap of 3000 is even more! At least it is broken up by state and territory, and there isn't draft beer to deal with as well as bottles. 

Cheers, 

John 

12 hours ago, elLachlano said:

I envy of you guys entering MOTB. I'd try my luck but none of my brews thus far have strayed enough away from the Coopers recipes.

Personally I reckon anything with a Coopers LME tin or kit in it is fair game, no matter who came up with the recipe. I don't think Coopers would mind brewing one of their DIY recipes on a large scale if it won a national comp. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Personally I reckon anything with a Coopers LME tin or kit in it is fair game, no matter who came up with the recipe. I don't think Coopers would mind brewing one of their DIY recipes on a large scale if it won a national comp. 

Cheers, 

John 

That's interesting John - as my crazy Over-Fizz Weizebock is Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat plus Coopers Wheat Malt... but I cannot find a Category for it?

With a slow careful staged pour - this stuff is dynamite... and I would gladly have a crack at entering.... but dunno where I could possibly fit such a splendid BEAST!

or do I get disqualified if it takes longer than 10 minutes to pour?

• Haha 1

Using up the stuff that came with the diy beer kit..

Coopers lager + be1

500gm ldm 

20g Amarillo boiled for 15 mins

15g Amarillo for 5 mins

15g Amarillo dry hopped

Started at 22c but got it down to 18c within 24 hours and stayed there since. 

Hope it's good, first brew for 5 years! 

• Like 7

Just put my FWH Cascade ale into the fermenter now that the temp controller is fixed. Got the full 25 litres and sitting around 20 degrees so that's all good. Fermenting at 18. As expected the aroma wasn't as fruity as my usual pale ales but it'll be interesting to see how it goes. 

• Like 2

Session Blonde (Gluten Reduced)

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
850gm Maris Otter 29.1%
300gm Vienna malt 10.3%
125gm C15L 4.3%
30gm acidulated malt 1.0%
250gm maltodextrin 8.5%
23L reverse osmosis water
1/2 tsp calcium chloride
10mL Clarity Ferm
7gm Coopers ale/lager slurry

OG 1.038 FG 1.012  ABV 3.7% IBU 20.8 BU:GU 0.55 EBC 6.7

Making another low alcohol, gluten reduced beer for my wife. Since she is not a big drinker I went for a malty style this time, instead of a hoppy one, as any hops I might add would fade before she drinks it anyway. What with no hop boil or hop stand, this brew was very fast and east to make.  

Would have preferred to use straight Coopers ale yeast and skip the maltodextrin, but I didn't have any, and can't buy it on its own (without a kit). 

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. 

Cheers,

Christina. 
Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 7:55 AM, Alpaca Brew said:

I have 4 fermenters going right now.  Two of them are a Pilsner/Citra Ale, 1 is Pilsner/Cascade Ale and the 4th is Gigantors Hibiscus Ale.

Wow, you are really putting your new all grain system through a good work out Peggy! 😄

Edited by ChristinaS1

I am able to sell some of my bottles at our local market along with all the other stuff we grow at the farm.  It is quite successful since craft beer is really new here in France.  Everyone is making strong very hop forward beers and I try to stay on the easy drinking side of things.  I brew what I like to drink and it works.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Alpaca Brew said:

I am able to sell some of my bottles at our local market along with all the other stuff we grow at the farm.  It is quite successful since craft beer is really new here in France.  Everyone is making strong very hop forward beers and I try to stay on the easy drinking side of things.  I brew what I like to drink and it works.

Wow that is pretty cool... do you have to be licenced to sell brew and put all sorts of labels on the bottles defining what last tiny ingredient you put in or is it a bit more cruisey than that?

BB

8 hours ago, Alpaca Brew said:

THAT is AWESOME 

Needed to get a brew down quickly so just chucked in

• Coopers Aus. Pale Ale 1.7kg Can
  • Coopers Brew Enhancer #2
  • US05 Yeast 11.5g (re-hydrated)
  • Dry hopping 30g of dried leaf Cascade on day 4-5 (currently day 2)

No boil, straight from can into FV. Weather is steady here in Sydney and maintaining at a solid 20-21C

Fermentation seems to have started slow but can see a bit of foam starting to build. Might leave this one in for a good 2-3 weeks before bottling.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow that is pretty cool... do you have to be licenced to sell brew and put all sorts of labels on the bottles defining what last tiny ingredient you put in or is it a bit more cruisey than that?

BB

Not too bad for the label.  You don't need to everything just the basic stuff.  I have been selling wine for over 20 years now in the local markets so I have an alcohol license.  I just can't exceed 18% alcohol.  If you get big it gets more complicated.  

• Like 2

I have Scotish Export Ale in the FV atm, Took a reading today ,sneaky sample as I'm sure everybody does, 6 days in and she's come down from 1065 to 1013, Taste was fairly mellow compared to the Irish Red I made awhile back,

Ill wait til day 10 and keg it.

Cheers

Spud

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Been CC'ing my "Eminem NZ Pilsner"...   but I've noticed my fridge does seem to struggle to get things really cold...    🤨 

You could try packing the sides and filling empty space with foam or polystyrene. Then the Fridge doesn't nee to work as hard to get down to and maintain a temperature.

• Like 1