Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

American IPA just gone into the fermenter us.05. Have a Tilt hydrometer and the Plaato airlock going on this one. Still waiting for the replacement part for the Plaato after it died when fermenting overflow got into the electronics. Have manage to partially save the unit but it does tend to drop off the wifi every now and again. Quick reboot gets it back on track. I have it on a smart plug so can reboot remotely.

Put the Uberhopped pale and the MAC Daddy pale in the FV yesterday. 

The Uberhopped pale is an exbeeriment to see how much hops can go into a moderate ABV beer and not get vegetal flavours in the end beer. After racking it into the FV, I’m thinking I may have hit that saturation point. Aroma was so strong and the oil on top was out of control.  Hopefully it’s still drinkable.

• Like 3

Wanted the brains trust to add their thoughts on a tropical pale ale recipe (cloning James Squire Tropical Splice Ale) I'm thinking of trialling...

Morgan's Pacific Pale Ale kit

Coopers light malt extract

150g steeped wheat grain

150g steeped caramel pilsner grain

200g dextrose

Citra finishing hops

1x lime peel

pineapple and lime juice (not sure how much)

Safale US-05

On 1/12/2019 at 11:37 AM, MitchBastard said:

Probably my best brew to date in terms of how the brew day went. Let hope the taste backs it up. The wort was a really nice deep red before fermentation started. 

What Temp for the Fermentation?  Looks good...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacob said:

Wanted the brains trust to add their thoughts on a tropical pale ale recipe (cloning James Squire Tropical Splice Ale) I'm thinking of trialling...

Hi Jacob

Looks good.  For comparitive purposes to your proposed brew, Deuce Lager (23 litre brew) has half a cup of lime juice and Pineapple IPA (8.5 litre brew) has 1 litre of pineapple juice.

The Coopers recipes are mostly pretty safe, so you might want to increase the volume of the lime and pineapple juice.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

I brewed up my Citra Saison on Friday and pitched it at ambient temps Sunday around midday.

Pitch temp 26.3C.  Rehydrated 11g of Belle Saison.  First time in long time that I haven't built up a starter for a brew, but I read that Belle can handle it, esp since the OG is somewhere around 1.045.

Was interesting watching the temp rise.  Fermentation started almost immediately and ticked up to 26.4C within a few hours.  27.7C by the time I went to bed (10pm).

29.3C this morning, and our overnight temps were quite mild so it is the fermentation that is keeping it hot.  So it's rocking along.  All sorts of fruity aromas coming out of the airlock.  I've never fermented this high before.  The only other saison I did I fermented with MJ's M29 French Saison yeast and I started that at 18C and held it there for 2 days, then bumped it up 2C every 12 hours until I got to 32C and held it there until it got down to 1.002.

I fermented my first saison at temps like this I think also over Jan, in 2018. It came out pretty funky actually, and have since run it cooler, like low 20's and I preferred the outcome. I did read about some guys noticing that examples fermented closer to 22 to 23 obtained higher scores in a competition they were discussing. But very interesting for me to run one at that crazy temp in any case. No chance of stalling I reckon! But in any case the Belle doesn't seem to be afflicted with the usual 1030 dupont strain stall saga. 

Pale ale in the fermenter!! 

It went in around 40 degrees and I am just waiting for it to get to pitching temps. 

Target was 1.049 and I got 1.053. 

I’m pretty annoyed with my Grainfather and I’m considering getting rid of it and just doing BIAB

19D2C6CD-E1E8-4194-8942-720D84A1B9F1.jpeg

I added the Cascade/Columbus/Riwaka/Simcoe dry hop mix to my current Pale Ale earlier today. I took a SG sample a few days ago to see if it had bottomed out (& it had), & then had a smell. It actually smelled pretty off-putting at the time. I was a little worried about it, but left the hydro sample out for another day & it was much better to smell & taste. Quite nice actually. The only thing I can put the off smell to is it may have been some funky off flavour left over from the Lager component of the AC+L yeast used & fermented @ 19°C.

It smelled really nice & fruity prior to me dumping the dry hops in. It should be very nice once the dry hop infuses into the beer.

The attempt at gaining a reddish hue from a smallish amount of Red-X & CaraRed seems unlikely at this point so it will be back to the drawing board on that one. 😋

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I am getting air in my system when I mash. It foams right up high when causes my top plate to drop and I am getting a fair bit of grain in the boil. 

REALLY ANNOYING!!

You must be drawing air in through the recirculating line, you might need to nip up the connections.

7 hours ago, headmaster said:

I fermented my first saison at temps like this I think also over Jan, in 2018. It came out pretty funky actually, and have since run it cooler, like low 20's and I preferred the outcome. I did read about some guys noticing that examples fermented closer to 22 to 23 obtained higher scores in a competition they were discussing. But very interesting for me to run one at that crazy temp in any case. No chance of stalling I reckon! But in any case the Belle doesn't seem to be afflicted with the usual 1030 dupont strain stall saga. 

If your after a nice saison try a dupont and belle batch. Pitch dupont first then belle around 1030. I have the blend sitting in my fridge and i tell you. It makes an awesome drop. 

I have a 3726 to go next which people rave about. Ill be interested to see how it matches the dupont/belle blend. Ill do a reiterated batch and top it up and see how they go side by side i think.

I also agree pitch low but also let it rise. I try to pitch around 20 or 21 then let it go in ambient.

• Like 3

Just dry hopped with 35g of Saaz (ran out of Summer for this recipe at the start) and 25g of Galaxy (was only meant to be 20g), did a SG reading 1.012 at the moment. 

See if I can kick off the Saison this weekend.

Tristan

52 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If your after a nice saison try a dupont and belle batch. Pitch dupont first then belle around 1030. I have the blend sitting in my fridge and i tell you. It makes an awesome drop. 

I have a 3726 to go next which people rave about. Ill be interested to see how it matches the dupont/belle blend. Ill do a reiterated batch and top it up and see how they go side by side i think.

I also agree pitch low but also let it rise. I try to pitch around 20 or 21 then let it go in ambient.

Greeny in your experience how will pitch high and let it rise fare? Pitched at 26.3 and within 30hrs it got to 31.7C! At any time I could have put the temp controller on as it is in my brewfridge, but in the interests of this experiment fermenting at ambient, I have let it freeball

Just one packet of Belle Saison, rehydrated. If it's too funky I have friends who love the funk and will happily take a whole batch 

Edited by joolbag

Yeah funky. And if you have too many headachy too in my experience. I find the balance for belle is right for a pitch low and rise ferment. The trappist type beers i do the same way and it gives good results. But every yeast acts differently and its an individual taste thing.

Belle is a reliable performer though.  I still have it in my yeast bank alone because it makes a fine beer. You will also find its probably done in 3 or 4 days. Its an animal.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The attempt at gaining a reddish hue from a smallish amount of Red-X & CaraRed seems unlikely at this point so it will be back to the drawing board on that one. 😋

If you want 'very red', use 100% Red-X at 1.050 OG with the step mash as per National Homebrew. I'm personally not a huge fan of how this tastes, but with enough hops a red IPA could be pretty good. 

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah funky. And if you have too many headachy too in my experience.

That will be the higher percentage of higher order/fusel alcohols produced at higher temps most likely. Some people I know complain of headaches with german weissbiers as well, also fermented in the low 20's 

11 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Thanks Greeny,

I have been meaning to try a traditional saison yeast, will get around to it one day. I do have some supposedly mixed up in my Wildflower house culture that I am fermenting my 2nd  golden sour with right now, it has a Dupont strain in there as the main Sac yeast and interestingly it did the classic stall at 1030 there for a while, despite having brett c, pedio, lacto and a giant collection of wild yeasts and bacteria's harvested from around NSW by Topher Boehm who built up this culture for his sours at Wildflower brewing and blending