Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Ditto. I started using it for the first time last year -  brewed several bitters (and others) with it.  I used to regularly opt for S0-4 and Nottingham but M36 and M42 are both worthy contenders!

BlackSands, you changed your picture. Is that a picture of you? 

Cheers,

Christina.

This weeks Beer is an English Bitter called Drop-in Tisbury Local, my first attempt at an English Bitter so shall see how it goes!

I’m using Coopers Schooner as the base malt 🙂 it’s a 10 litre batch which will be “Hot cubed” in a 10 litre keg and chucked in the pool to cool! Saves water!

cheers

31858824-E949-4DDE-B645-53D8B65AD3F5.jpeg

• Like 3

A friend of mine scored 40 Hacker Pschorr 500ml brown swing tops in  2x Hacker Pschorr crates for zilch on Saturday and bought them around yesterday and gave them to me, great score ... looks like I will be doing a Bavarian pale lager next brew in honour of Hacker Pschorr ...  

20190311_070403.jpg

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

I am in awe of those who can pick the flavours .... I know things taste good but I find it hard to separate the yeast flavours from the hops and malt in beer flavour profiles ... particularly in beer that are balanced ... it is the same with wine the wife is brilliant, she tells me all the fruit, herbaceous flavours and anything else that is in wine but I don't pick it ... I can tell when it is good but the flavour profile I have no idea of ...   sorry it is a bit of a lie .... good with acids and tannins ... 

Sorry Marty, I have some bad news that explains your predicament.

I noticed in another thread you mentioned you were a Souths supporter. This confirms your lack of taste. Given the amount of time you have supported them I don't think it is reversible.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I think the rubber seals on them perish & split is why they eventually don't seal. Replacement seals are readily available all over the place.

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/grolsch-bottle-replacement-seals-qty-60-pack

They look the same as the Grolsch swingtops.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks so much for that ... I have them steeping in steriliser at the moment and have removed 1 rubber and it has lost all elasticity ... will get replacements and service all the bottles and hopefully i can get good service out of them ...  I assume that the person who ditched the bottles was/had been a home brewer as the bottles were clean and there were 3 PET bottles with caps in one of the crates ...  so I will do a bit of risk management ... will replace the washer on one then fill with my next brew which is a golden ale due for bottling on Saturday and see if it hold pressure ... if it does it will be all systems go .... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks so much for that ... I have them steeping in steriliser at the moment and have removed 1 rubber and it has lost all elasticity ... will get replacements and service all the bottles and hopefully i can get good service out of them ...  I assume that the person who ditched the bottles was/had been a home brewer as the bottles were clean and there were 3 PET bottles with caps in one of the crates ...  so I will do a bit of risk management ... will replace the washer on one then fill with my next brew which is a golden ale due for bottling on Saturday and see if it hold pressure ... if it does it will be all systems go .... 

Great score!

Not sure about the seals on your bottles, but as a long time Grolsch bottle user I would not be in a hurry to throw out the seals if they are original, not unless they are cracked. If they are original, they are most likely made of silicone and not rubber. Silicone does not feel elastic, but it can still seal well.

I was a bit too quick to replace the original seals on some of my Grolsch bottles.  I have learned that a flat bottle of beer more likely reflects user error than a rotten seal.  With flip tops, you have to make sure they are centred properly before tightening them down.

In my experience, original Grolsch seals last for years, but replacement seals, whether rubber (which are garbage) or silicone, will not. 

In terms of silicone seals, the flat ones are not as good as the ones with a bit of a cone shape. Try to avoid seals with seams, or ones that look slightly rough to the naked eye.

If one side of the seal has nubbies and one is smooth, face the side with nubbies towards the ceramic top, so the smooth side faces the lip of the bottle.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys.

After approx. 4 days of contact time I have now removed the 100gm Cascade dry hop from Christina's SFWH Pale Ale & squeezed all the absorbed aromatic beer back into the FV. The beer is now in cold condition mode & will stay that way until Sunday when I will keg it. Smelled bloody terrific! 🙂

I can't wait to try it.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 7

Pilsner in the fermenter now. It ended up at just over 20 litres and pitched at 16 after it took a while getting it into the fermenter and temp control set up after removing the cube from the brew fridge. I put it in there about 9:30 last night but it's been hot here so it was probably sitting at around 30 degrees or so. It'll be coming down now though of course. I'll take the initial SG sample on Sunday, which will be 5 days since pitching. 

20190312_113345.thumb.jpg.5ff872b2d9ef3232c4f3d9805323037b.jpg

• Like 4

This one took ages to show any signs of activity although to be fair this fermenter and its lid are harder to see through than the other one. I noticed some krausen on it about an hour ago when I checked it but it may have been there earlier. I think I might raise it from 10 to 12 degrees before I go back to work later.

This would have to be the slowest lager yeast I've ever used, at least in terms of visible signs appearing. It still gets the job done in time to begin lagering after 14 days though.

Might make a bigger starter next batch. 

• Like 2

It is the weekend so I will be kegging and bottling some Kilowog Krush, no offense to any gold chain and Adidas jogging suit wearing folks.  I added 35g of Nelson sauvin, 70g of galaxy and 60g of citra, almost 8g a liter about 4 1/2 days ago, it has been cold crashing for 3 days so I might leave it until Saturday.

It tasted pretty good. We will see what it tastes like after bottling, it should be nice but I leave that to others to decide.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AG Pale with Cascade, Centennial and Mosaic has been in fermenter since Monday. Looking at bottling next weekend. Wanna keep stocks up but time is always an issue so I'm thinking of trying an All Inn Brewing fresh wort. Not sure which one. Has anyone tried their fresh wort kits? 

1552641009954803916893.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

AG Pale with Cascade, Centennial and Mosaic has been in fermenter since Monday. Looking at bottling next weekend. Wanna keep stocks up but time is always an issue so I'm thinking of trying an All Inn Brewing fresh wort. Not sure which one. Has anyone tried their fresh wort kits? 

1552641009954803916893.jpg

I did the Mercenary Pale Ale and doubled the dry hop amount they suggested. It came out a really nice beer as not offensive just a clean and light ale. It reminded me of a stone and wood Pacific ale without galaxy. If I did it again I would do a short boil or flameout addition, but I like a lot of hop aroma and flavour.

I had a few people try and they felt it was really good for their tastes.

Just now, Norris! said:

I did the Mercenary Pale Ale and doubled the dry hop amount they suggested. It came out a really nice beer as not offensive just a clean and light ale. It reminded me of a stone and wood Pacific ale without galaxy. If I did it again I would do a short boil or flameout addition, but I like a lot of hop aroma and flavour.

I had a few people try and they felt it was really good for their tastes.

Thanks Norris,

Sounds like a plan. I was hoping to get away with yeast and small dry hop given the cost of the fresh wort. My last brew cost $55 for 22L. Fresh wort will be more. Really appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

I bottled a case of it and the dry hop came through nicely in them but the keg portion was lacking in my opinion, I don't know why maybe I had too much headspace but I did flush it out with C02 before filling?

Either way the people I shared it with loved it. They were comparing it to a beechworth pale ale but a little more subtle...I didnt taste that but I only had a few beechworth beers.

For a quick keg filler I thought it was a fair substitute for my time. If and when I am pushed for time again I might try one of their lagers.

9 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

I'm thinking of trying an All Inn Brewing fresh wort. Not sure which one. Has anyone tried their fresh wort kits? 

I've tried a few of them and been happy with them all. The Citra Pale has been the standout for me.

Like Norris, I'd up dry hop but if you were wanting to get away without it, it would still turn out pretty drinkable.

• Like 1

Just bottled a Golden Ale so the first time in 10 weeks my FV is empty and sitting steeping in sanitiser .... all my stubbies are now full ... I have some tallies to do for my sons and have 35 X 500 ml swing tops to put something in but I am waiting for inspiration ... I am devoid of ideas right now ... maybe a German Style Ale for the swing tops ? 

Did Gashslugs NEIPA yesterday with my own hop arrangement (based on my stocks)

• 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale 
  • 1.4kg Pale Malt
  • 0.35kg Oats, Flaked (Quick)
  • 0.1kg Medium Crystal
  • 40g Topaz 15 minute steep
  • 40g Vic Secret 15 minute steep
  • 40g Amarillo 15 minute steep
  • Kit Plus Spare Craft Kit Yeast - Rehydrated
  • 20g Topaz Day 4 Dry Hop
  • 20g Vic Secret Day 4 Dry Hop
  • 20g Amarillo Day 4 Dry Hop
  • 20g Topaz Day 7 Dry Hop
  • 20g Vic Secret Day 7 Dry Hop
  • 20g Amarillo Day 7 Dry Hop

It was my first mini-mash and boil of more than a few litres.  Took ages, but was fun.

• Like 6