Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's 10 litres. I've already replaced the lid seal and the PRV, it could be one or both posts, although the lid never seems to be really tightly pulled up into the top. I kinda want to replace it anyway because it's a bit wider than the other kegs and while it fits it's a bit of a tight squeeze. 

Put it on Gumtree and it will sell super quick as those fellas are over $110 new. 

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Put it on Gumtree and it will sell super quick as those fellas are over $110 new. 

And put in the Ad:  Over time, if no longer useful as a beer keg, it may come in very handy as a BEER FOUNTAIN?

• Haha 2

The beer is now transferred to a 19 litre keg. I just poured it through the tap into the other keg, easiest way I could find. Looked a bit silly only half full but I gave it a bit of a shake around after purging it and it's now settling. I probably overcarbed it but I have a method to be able to pour a beer when it's overcarbed so I'll try one soon once I bleed all the pressure out. Not too concerned about oxidation as I'll just drink it until it's empty. 

Not sure what I'll do with the little keg, probably sell it and use the money to go towards a new one, or not bother replacing it and just use a big one to blend 4 batches to make a full keg. I may be getting a bottle capper soon too, the missus' mum does aged care work and one of the old blokes is getting rid of some old home brew stuff, including a capper. Not sure what type it is though. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I may be getting a bottle capper soon too, the missus' mum does aged care work and one of the old blokes is getting rid of some old home brew stuff, including a capper. Not sure what type it is though. 

Wait... You've been brewing all this time and DON'T have a capper? 

I'm a newb and I have TWO! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well my last brew on NEIPA had a funny "sour" taste at the finish. I nearly tipped it all out but thought, why not wait a bit more. So a week or so later it was fine and tasted wonderful. Now the same thing is happening with the latest batch. First tasted at around 7 days, had the same sour taste. Tried again yesterday (day 11) and still no good. I know it's still early days but it is a bit of a worry. Will try again next week and I hope it comes good!

• Sad 1

Yeah had a chat with AUS Post today actually. They've recently revised their pricing on packaging sizes based on weight etc. to the better for all of us.

As an example I often send 3 bottles of beer to co-brewers in a slender box, then cheap it out by placing that in a post pack baggy large enough to contain it. Used to cost me $17-$18. I posted a larger box earlier today (no baggy required) with two extra bottles in it, cost me just over $18.

Winning. 😊

Lusty.

• Like 2

Not a complete fail but nevertheless. Did my first AG batch yesterday and all went well until cubing time. I decided to cube for the moment until I figured out a suitable way to use the pool water to cool the wort. In light of voluntary water restrictions and pending enforced restrictions, I cannot justify chilling, plus I don't have the tubing and connectors to do so. Anyway, I digress. 

I got a 20l jerry can from Bunnings but realised that the handle of the can is higher than the lid, which makes getting the air out a little hard. I noticed there is a bung in the front so a tap can be put in, so I thought, cool, fill the thing up sideways and use the bung hole. I connected my hose to the pump and then realised the bung hole isn't big enough for the hose. So a funnel it is. This is a little messy but ok. Then the hose got warm and soft and it kept slipping off. So I am holding the hose with gloves, while feeding it into the funnel and adjusting the flow rate. What a mess. At the end of the day, I got about 15. maybe 16 litres of the intended 20-21 into the cube, leaving a massive headspace. Why I didn't simply switch back to filling from the top and then tilting the cube toward the end to ensure I get all the air out remains unknown. 

Well, I put it down as a learning experience on how not to do things. I'll put it in the FV today anyway and will see what I can salvage. 

I thought I was so prepared and yet, failed on one of the simple bits as usual.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Haha 3

Mate I wouldn't even worry about the small bit of air in the handle. I can never be bothered trying to get every last bit out and haven't had any problems. I just stick the hose in to the bottom and fill it, then angle the cube back slightly to get as much air out as possible, squeeze if required and then seal it. There's always gonna be a small amount of air left but it doesn't cause any issues. 

I did a batch Saturday, also used the pool water to chill the cube - by simply throwing it in the pool 😂

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I did my AG Galaxy Smash Pils and was very happy with @60 long boil and @10 but only used 25g and 25g... was quite bitter to begin with - which I really liked - the German beer JEVER is also classic bitter brew.... but with the few months lagering at 2 deg C somehow it all smoothed out really nicely.  Terrible shame that most is long gone : (

But hey it wasn't 50g-50g.  I reckon I would run that Galaxy Smash Pils again some time.

16 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

The other week I rang my mum halfway through a 60 min boil. Crap, that now became a 90 min boil and a sky high (compared to what I was aiming for) OG of 1.027. With a few more IBUs to balance it out I guess. 

Cheers, 

John 

That’s why you call Dads. You would have still had 29 minutes left in the 60 minute boil when you hung up.

• Haha 3