Ben 10

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

3 minutes ago, Gully85 said:

Also modern plastic cans are lined with aluminum now.

Even better reason not to buy them 😜

As for your specific issue @Gully85 - get some different water in - try that - and test it at different stages in the process - narrow down the  metallic-taste contributing possibilities.... will be great to see what you find out!

• Like 1

Yeah brew morning tomorrow, this will be the second brew of the same batch.  Aiming for a session hoppy pale ale.

Once this off flavour is solved I have my next experiment lined up to see if sodium metabisulphate. See if it will help remove O2 whilst bottling/kegging.

Just need to do more reading on weights and required ppm.

12 minutes ago, Gully85 said:

Yeah brew morning tomorrow, this will be the second brew of the same batch.  Aiming for a session hoppy pale ale.

Once this off flavour is solved I have my next experiment lined up to see if sodium metabisulphate. See if it will help remove O2 whilst bottling/kegging.

I have never used anything to remove O2 while bottling... and always had great results.  Am puzzled while you would need that?

As for kegs... if you are fearful of Oxygen - just do a keg secondary fermentation in the keg as recommended by @PB2 and you will have NIL oxy.

Yeah I know there are other tactics but I want to know if this will work. Would never do this if I was selling beer, but for my own consumption I would like to see how long a, say IPA, would last and what differences it could make to the beer. 

will it stay fresher with more hop presence, will it make no difference? will it turn into a slush puddle of goo and gain sentient consciousness? time will tell

• Like 1

Just now, Gully85 said:

Yeah I know there are other tactics but I want to know if this will work. Would never do this if I was selling beer, but for my own consumption I would like to see how long a, say IPA, would last and what differences it could make to the beer. 

will it stay fresher with more hop presence, will it make no difference? will it turn into a slush puddle of goo and gain sentient consciousness? time will tell

Gold mate - keep up the good research!

Christina and Blacksands have already tried it and it made no difference to hop fade times in the beers they used it in. I don't think it'll make any difference in yours either but nothing is stopping you trying it I suppose. 

• Like 1

I made my next brew yesterday. Careful of sanitising etc, had all ingredients lined up so it was a smooth process.

Then took an OG and it was significantly different to the calc level expected. Mentally went through all I had done, double checked that against the SS and then came on here and asked about it.

Later I walked into the kitchen and there, sitting in the bowl on the scales, was the 300 g of brown sugar that was supposed to be in the FV.  🙄 DOH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gully85 said:

Some large commercial breweries use K-met additions of just under 10ppm. That's the upper threshold before it needs to be legally declared on the label.   I used one campden tablet in a couple of 23 litre modestly hopped batches which equates roughly to 10ppm.   It didn't appear to have any impact at all as far as minimising hop-fade and as @ChristinaS1 found it also contributed an undesirable sulphurous aroma to the beer she tried it in.  

• Like 1

Well I made a beer fountain yesterday, I set the keg pressure to 70 psi, to force carbonate, when I came back 24 hours later I removed the gas line off the out post to be greeted with beer going everywhere, the seal in the top of the post had come out...... and of course it was going to be a quick 2 min job after a shit day at work.....☹

15744721655412251545559702529671.jpg

Edited by Navigator
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Later I walked into the kitchen and there, sitting in the bowl on the scales, was the 300 g of brown sugar that was supposed to be in the FV.  🙄 DOH!

Just boil some water add the sugar boil it up seal to air cool down to brew temp and add... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Navigator said:

Well I made a beer fountain yesterday, I set the keg pressure to 70 psi, to force carbonate, when I came back 24 hours later I removed the gas line off the out post to be greeted with beer going everywhere, the seal in the top of the post had come out...... and of course it was going to be a quick 2 min job after a shit day at work.....☹

Sad to hear that Nav - especially after one of those days at work that does not leave one real happy with life.  Hopefully you got it sorted as quickly as possible.

How old/long used was the post prior to this failure?

21 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I set the keg pressure to 70 psi, to force carbonate...

Sounds rather high !?   🤔

16 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Sad to hear that Nav - especially after one of those days at work that does not leave one real happy with life.  Hopefully you got it sorted as quickly as possible.

How old/long used was the post prior to this failure?

Probably 3 months, I brought the kegs as seconds and replaced all the seals.

Yeah after a crap day at work the having to do house work as a man it topped it off.

Edited by Navigator
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Sounds rather high !?   🤔

I normally set it to 70 for 24 hrs then back to serving pressure which is 10-12 this is the first to let go.

18 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I normally set it to 70 for 24 hrs then back to serving pressure which is 10-12 this is the first to let go.

I think most people use a pressure in the range of 30 - 50psi for 24hr burst carb'ing (at serving temp).

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Navigator said:

15744721655412251545559702529671.jpg

I would think that 70psi is too high, I set my kegs to 40 psi for 24hrs, remove and let rest for 2-3 hrs, then drop down to serving pressure 10-12 psi for another 24 hrs before serving., don’t get overcarbonating with this method, just my view.  

Cheers 🍺🍺

• Like 1

Yep 70 is over the top and totally unnecessary. Why is it on the out post anyway? That kind of high pressure quicker carbonation is just done on the normal gas in post. 

53 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yep 70 is over the top and totally unnecessary. Why is it on the out post anyway? That kind of high pressure quicker carbonation is just done on the normal gas in post. 

Just what was taught to me by an old time forces the co2 into the brew. 

Pressure is what forces it into the beer, not which post it's fed in through. It's only gonna float to the top going in through the diptube anyway. It's connected the same as it is when the keg is pouring, the only difference is the pressure.

That's why it doesn't lose carbonation when it's sitting at serving pressure because the pressure keeps the desired amount of CO2 dissolved in the beer. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 11:18 AM, Navigator said:

Well I made a beer fountain yesterday,

They are the older style ball locks post, male rather than female threads ... can you still get poppets and seals for those.?

Edited by MartyG1525230263

Not so much a fail on my part but I poured a bit from the little keg earlier and despite being on gas for 3 days it's still flat. I don't know which part of the keg is leaking, but tomorrow I'm gonna transfer the beer into a bigger keg and just use that. Keeping the little one chilled though, so I can try a quick carb on it once transferred. 

I think I'll replace this little keg anyway because it's not the first time I've had issues with it. That won't be till next year as funds need to be directed elsewhere for now, so in the meantime I'll still do my blends just in a larger keg. Maybe I can do four batches at a time and make a real bastard blend 🤣🤣

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

the little keg

What size is the little keg?  Do you think that is has problems beyond seal replacement and new poppets? 

It's 10 litres. I've already replaced the lid seal and the PRV, it could be one or both posts, although the lid never seems to be really tightly pulled up into the top. I kinda want to replace it anyway because it's a bit wider than the other kegs and while it fits it's a bit of a tight squeeze.