Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

On 2/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

2 x 86 days pilsner and 2 fails .... both tasted crap ... 1 was when the 1st started and fermented way to fast as had no temp control and was done in March or April when it was hot in SEQ but with many many many months lagering was just Ok ... so I drank it eventually ... so not to be defeated I did another one in the middle of winter .... once again no temp control but nights around 6 and days around 18 ... the shed where i did it was pretty stable if this is stable  in the 8 -16 range which i thought ok it takes a lot of energy to heat water so the the brew should be ok  ... I have no idea what went wrong .... colour is closer to a 30 than and 8 ... and just tastes wrong ... good head retention though ... have thrown all the PET bottles out as they are worse than the glass ... am really pissed off as I love Pils but to my relief just did a Czech Pils recipe using Morgans Golden Saaz pils and Saaz hops instead of the 86 days and that seems to be great ... tasted wonderful on bottling will be carbonated in a week or so will have a taste before lagering it ...  but yes 2 flops ... 

I am about to dump all my PET bottles, I opened three this week and they were all flat as a biscuit, I was so looking forward to the contents, stout made in May last year, the bottles and caps were all new, I don't suppose I am the only one having this problem, none of my 500ml water bottles have ever failed.

22 minutes ago, alexhenderson said:

I am about to dump all my PET bottles, I opened three this week and they were all flat as a biscuit, I was so looking forward to the contents, stout made in May last year, the bottles and caps were all new, I don't suppose I am the only one having this problem, none of my 500ml water bottles have ever failed.

My PET were Ok it is just that I had so bloody many of them and realised 1) they were inferior for aging 2) I had gone over the top with aging stock  ...  I now now that most of the beers I make are at their best after about 3 months and degrade after 6 and I can turn over the ales quicker as they don't need lagering ... 

You see: after a 25 year hiatus I started brewing again in March last year and did it true to the way I brewed pre-internet days ...  I did it with no temp control and collected as many bottles as I could and  aged them ... oh how things have changed in two and a half decades ... massive selection of kit beers and recipes now with partial mash, grain and hop steeps, hop addition etc etc  and temperature control is the norm, which i now have and do all of ...  the internet can keep you in contact with like minded brains trust 24/7 ... and no need to store massive quantity of brew ... I had acquired over 200 PET bottles about 100 tallies and 400 stubbies all full by the time spring arrived  so did no brewing during the spring and summer as i drank and partied ... I  have sold now off 150 PET bottles with more to go  but still have some PET aging in particular a stout, one of which I opened last night, and it is awesome. It is now 10 months old. I have about 20 bottles of that left ... anyway by the end of winter I am aiming to only use stubbies ... so I will keep selling off my PET and tallies and probably 100 or so stubbies ...  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I used to have about 300 stubbies when I was bottling. I'd keep 2-3 batches bottled at all times. They'd usually be around 3-4 months old by the time they were all gone, except stouts and porters which I aged for around a year before drinking. 

I think that is about the right number ... a selection of lagers/pilsners/Asian rice beers which need lagering, a stout and a dark beer which ages in glass from winter to winter, a ginger beer and a cider for the wife and an ale or 2...   that is around 20 dozen ...  

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't have the means to really lager my lagers then like I do now but they were still nice. I used to lager them in the fermenter prior to bottling, but with kegs now I don't have to do that, so they just get a couple of weeks and the rest is done in the keg. The pale ales I started drinking around 3-4 weeks bottled so they wouldn't have gone much past 3 months by the time the last one was gone. 

On 1/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, Smashed Crabs said:

Threw my hydro tube in the dishwasher as a lazy cleaning option pulled it out to take a sample of my "All Sazzed up with no place to go" 3can Cerveza and noticed the banana type bend in it 😂. On a plus  note went to Bunnings and got a new Trinidad scorpion chilli with a plump nearly ripe chilli that I might use in a brew. 1.2 mil Scovilles isn't to bad.20190111_161443.thumb.jpg.4ad822873daadc3a82d870c59ed93774.jpg

This is a good mod to the Coopers hydrometer. Stops it clinging to the sides.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

My turn.. my fail could av burnt down the house though 🙂

Started my Raspberry wheat brew about an hour ago, all setup and got my camp stove ready in the garage. Turned on the gas, hit the igniter and whoof.. didnt screw the gas hose tight enough to the camp stove and the connection caught alight.

Luckily small bottle and quick to turn off the gas

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Woah! Glad you're safe man. That could've been much worse than the usual problems in this thread.

thankfully garage doesnt have anything flammable in it so was safe just a reminder to tighten your hoses properly

Thankfully it was only minor. Let us know how that recipe of the month turns out for you. It was a slow seller compared to the others which are usually sold out after a couple of days. Not a lot of bang for your buck in this edition. 

1 minute ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Thankfully it was only minor. Let us know how that recipe of the month turns out for you. It was a slow seller compared to the others which are usually sold out after a couple of days. Not a lot of bang for your buck in this edition. 

I disagree with bang for buck - the hop combo would have cost a bit if buying individually to make it. I wanted ot try a wheat beer and after my last few I wasnt happy with I wanted to go back to basics and go ROTM to make it simpler. Was gonna go honey wheat but this sounded good to.. I hope lol. Have had similar in the past I wasnt keen on so we will see.. Now to wait for next months. I want to try a lager.. with any luck the raspberry wheat wont end up on the fail thread as well

3 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

25 gms of hops ? Come on. I know there’s a 

mix but 25 gms of hop is about five bucks. And five tea raspberry teabags. They’ll have a good Christmas party at Coopers this year 

25 grams isnt much but there is 5 varieties I think - minimum buy ast most places is 25 grams so looking at 25-30 to buy all and then make the mix yourself. Can probably say its a bit over-priced but still not bad considering

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, MitchBastard said:

Today I bottled a stout.....after about 15 long necks (filled not drunk) I all of a sudden forgot which way my tap turns To shut it off 🤨

Stout all over me feet. 

I've lost beer each bottle in a similar way.. once the spout came out of the tap, another time the tap didnt turn off properly as expected. Lost very little but still a shame. I have a better tap now though

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Recipe is good. A session-able beer and the clearest ive made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Stout all over me feet. 

Yeah I put down a big beach towel ; )

But with a decent working tap + an aussie-bottler-valve plugged into the tap as well.... usually most of the fluid makes its way into the lovely Coopers glass bottles!

• Like 1

Not really my mistake directly but I got home from work just before and could hear this weird constant beeping noise. Wandered over towards the brew fridge and it got louder, and the controller was displaying EE on the screen. 

Fing dog had decided that the temp probe wire on the stc would make a good chew toy and ripped the probe right off the end of it, presumably trying to pull the wire out of the door. I've ordered a 5 pack of replacement probe wires that will suit it, but I think the fridge might have to go back where it originally was, where the dogs can't access it when we aren't home. They'd also chewed a handle off one of my small grain buckets, not really an issue although they shouldn't be doing that either. 

With all the toys and bones and whatnot they have in the yard you'd think they'd be able to find something to chew on that isn't our stuff. Pretty bloody pissed off about it actually. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Fing dog had decided that the temp probe wire on the stc would make a good chew toy and ripped the probe right off the end of it, presumably trying to pull the wire out of the door. I've ordered a 5 pack of replacement probe wires...

I don't think the 5 replacement probe wires will last long either. Probably not real good for the dogs diet anyway. 😜

Maybe just give them an extra tin of Pal a day? 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.