Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Are you meant to sparge with a Guten or is it similar to BIAB?

It is like a BIAB setup with the mash tube essentially doing the job of a grain bag. I mash it with the recirculation pump running wort back over the grain bed. When done, just lift the tube out and let it drip off. But I guess you can do it both ways.

Edited by Aussiekraut

Ok fair enough. Still a lot of loss. 

My brew day went a bit better, OG appears to be around 1.045 and I should get pretty much the whole 25 litres into the fermenter. 

I'll be making up a starter tomorrow for the pale ale I brewed last week, which I'm planning to pitch Sunday. Once that's done I can make up a starter for yesterday's brew and get it going after the ESB is kegged. 

Also on Sunday I've got a ham and bacon to smoke while I brew the porter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Mash efficiency was 86.1%, ended up with 1.0366 in 34 litres, so should be able to hit the target 1.0434 post boil. 

How do you get 4 sig places? Is it just a calc or do you have a way to measure it?

Also, is this thread only for grain brews? Was going to put today's kit brew here but you guys all seem to be ding grains.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Any brews mate! 

The four places is from my temperature correction calculator, although I have set Beersmith to four places for its SG predictions. I usually just read it as a whole number but the graduations are far enough apart on my hydrometer that I can see if it's sort of a quarter or ¾ way between them, which equals half a point e.g. 1.0475.

That 1.0366 from yesterday read at 1.037 on the hydrometer but the temperature was 18 instead of 20 hence the real reading being slightly lower.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

Recipe: NEIPA Time
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Specialty IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 51.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          48.0 %        1.96 L        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          24.0 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          16.0 %        0.65 L        
0.75 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         4          12.0 %        0.49 L        
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  60 Hop           6          20.5 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          2.4 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           8          7.8 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           9          13.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           10         4.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           11         3.8 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463) [124.21 ml]  Yeast         12         -             -             
30.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days             Hop           13         0.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days             Hop           14         0.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days           Hop           15         0.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days           Hop           16         0.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days    Hop           17         0.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days    Hop           18         0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two steeps, one at flameout one @ 80°c
Two dry hops, one early on, one later.

Hopefully it works out. $40 brew.

• Like 8

Finally getting around to do my Jack n Stout tomorrow....just doing a half batch so should hopefully get 11ltrs out of the bastard. 

2kg pale malt 

.25kg chocolate malt

.22Kg roasted barley

.2kg flaked oats

.1kg crystal malt 80L

40g EKG @60

S04

52IBU 

once fermented I’m going to rack to a secondary vessel onto wood chips, a vanilla bean and 300ml of JD for 10 days, bottle and cellar until winter. I might sample a stubby along the way to track progress.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Brew day tomorrow, gonna be a scorcher in the garage here in Adelaide, going to put down a Kolsch which I havn't tried before, beersmith say ferment the WLP029 kolsch  yeast at 15deg. on the packet it says 18 - 20deg ? not sure which to go for,

john

8 minutes ago, John304 said:

Brew day tomorrow, gonna be a scorcher in the garage here in Adelaide, going to put down a Kolsch which I havn't tried before, beersmith say ferment the WLP029 kolsch  yeast at 15deg. on the packet it says 18 - 20deg ? not sure which to go for,

john

I did a Kolsch Clone earlier in the year &  fermented at 16 deg, turned out great 🍺

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

My one was $70. Thirty for grain.  Thirty for hops and ten for yeast. I need to start milling my own grain and buy in bulk 

I guess Cob that if you are paying 30 for hops - and 10 for yeast - that is a fair old start on cost...

I reckon that if you get hops in bigger packs and put them in the freezer - and can harvest yeast - hopefully that will bring it down.

And if you are using up to 7kg of grain - yeah - in 25kg bags you should be able to get that down to like $20 but you might not buy a whole bag of Dark Malt... tho I am considering getting some Voyager Dark Malt in a 25kg bag rather than spending up to $7/kg for that...

Am thinking tho with Hops you should be able to get something around $10/100g...

Anyway mate... you are still a long way ahead of what I saw in a Bris Q bottleshop a Craft Beer for $15 for 500mls...

20 minutes ago, Worthog said:

@Otto Von Blotto, That's it, I'm coming to your house for xmas! 😋.

Now, would you be kind enough to tell me what the 20m mash lift to 72c does? 

Cheers

It's part of the hochkurz schedule. I've never actually looked into it in depth, but I usually do one on every batch now to aid in head retention and it seems to work. It's called a glycoprotein rest, these aid in head retention. It's also a way to influence the fermentability which I suspect is the main reason behind the mash schedule; by raising it up there it denatures the beta amylase. The timing of the rise influences the FG. Obviously the longer it sits at 63 the lower the FG ends up being. 

These beers usually finish about 1.010-11 but don't taste "thick". They're still crisp but hold a better head than they might if the FG was lower. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recipe: RIPA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Red IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 31.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 63.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          33.3 %        1.30 L        
1.70 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         2          28.3 %        1.11 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         3          16.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         4          16.7 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         5          4.2 %         0.16 L        
0.05 kg          Carafa III (Weyermann) (1034.2 EBC)              Grain         6          0.8 %         0.03 L        
15.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop           7          23.5 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        8          -             -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           9          13.5 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           10         13.6 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           11         12.9 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgian Dark Ale yeast.

Dry hopped with maybe 50g of each

• Like 2

Doing a pale ale.

4.7 kg pale ale malt Barrett Burston

.5kg Munich malt

.2kg caramunich

10g centennial FWH 60 min

20g centennial, cascade, citra whirlpool

30g centennial and cascade dry hop

20g citra and mosaic dry hop

1.050 OG

38IBU

M44 yeast or Imperial Joystick yeast slurry

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Doing a pale ale.

4.7 kg pale ale malt Barrett Burston

.5kg Munich malt

.2kg caramunich

10g centennial FWH 60 min

20g centennial, cascade, citra whirlpool

30g centennial and cascade dry hop

20g citra and mosaic dry hop

1.050 OG

38IBU

M44 yeast or Imperial Joystick yeast slurry

I should add thay I am doing a no sparge brew on this one, so pretty much biab, I want to just see what the efficiency is like.

Ok, so this brew day showed me a lot. By going no sparge, I could really see the water levels before the boil  I had way too much, I had been thinking my profile was off but this confirmed it. I had way too much water in my mash and boil, so I adjusted the trub loss and other things, need to really check the mash tun dead space, too ensure it is 8l, but I think I am off by about 3 to 5 liters, which explains my efficiency, issues, too much water. So I did an 90 min boil to get down to 23l.

Next batch I will try the new profile and see if I hit my fermenter volume and OG. Trial and error, I think I got this, an urn would of been easier to do the calculations, but I think once I get it dialed in I will be happy. 35l for a 23l batch seemed like a lot, and I had a good 2 to 4 liter left over each batch. I should of checked the mash tun dead space very first thing...I was excited, but now I know.

You need wort left over after the boil, that's where all the crap you don't want in the fermenter is. I usually start with about 11 litres more water than the intended batch size for BIAB, 12 if I'm doing a 90 minute boil. Leave behind about 3 litres after transferring, and another litre or so in the cube to leave its trub behind as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You need wort left over after the boil, that's where all the crap you don't want in the fermenter is. I usually start with about 11 litres more water than the intended batch size for BIAB, 12 if I'm doing a 90 minute boil. Leave behind about 3 litres after transferring, and another litre or so in the cube to leave its trub behind as well. 

With that considered, I would say about 1 to 2 liters of wort left over not including trub. Either way, I am sure I am leaving too much behind. Besides that, the brew went well, hit 1.046 OG, so happy with that, the recipe called for 1.048 at 23l I wanted 1.050 at 21, I came up with 23+ liters. As long as it is beer.