Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

42 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Brew day went well. 4 hours with clean up. Post boil was suppose to be 1.043 I got 1.040ish almost 1.041 so I am happy with that. Very clear running into the cube. Should be a light quaffer. I had a good cone from the whirlpool, and had about a liter or more to play with. So maybe I might adjust my grain absorption rate down which should increase efficiency due to less water needed.

My next batch I wanted to do a full volume mash. Not so much as to save time but to try it but now I will keep playing with the figures and maybe brew the same grain bill but different hops and still sparge.

On another note, what do you all do with the spent grain? Any recipes for dog treats or maybe bread that you have tried...I could Google but...here I am.

20191208_162749.jpg

Is that an unidentifiable snakes head or your shoes Norris, just sayin 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

On another note, what do you all do with the spent grain? Any recipes for dog treats or maybe bread that you have tried...I could Google but...here I am.

Yeah can do lots with it. I have gave it to the mother in law for the chooks. They love it but have to give it as a treat only. Grew oyster mushrooms in buckets with it. Mostly though i compost it either in the compost bin or throw it on the veggie patch and dig it in.

As you said google is your best friend for what you can use it for in your circumstances.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

My mate's Neds seem to like it a lot (horses).  Rusty Penny I believe have a pig farmer that loves the spent grain.

• Like 1

Did a Sparkling Ale of sorts today with Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt and a tadge of Acidulated Weyermann and some Wheat.  The SS Basket seems to be working ok...

here draining post sparge.  Used Spalt for bittering and then Mosaic at 15 and Galaxy at Flameout... interesting how the colour changed with the boil... 

Doing the Desert-no-chill in the SS Vessel overnight (fan and iceblocks cooling) and will go into the FV in the morning with a US05 Starter. 

Trying to get 3 kegs full that can ferment/condition through Christmas and be available in the New Year. 

image.png.9559441eb4222c29700fd7236f171f1f.png

• Like 7

Did the brew day for the “Oui oui bread stick saison” yesterday.

Upped my sparge water amount to what it should have been and was pretty happy with what I got into the cube. 1 point under for the mash part so I don’t think I’ll worry about adjusting it 😊

Also threw the partial mash XPA into the fermenter yesterday with US05 and has a nice little krausen on it this morning when I changed the ice in the cool brewing bag.

I’ll put the rest of the saison together tonight when I get home from work.

• Like 3

Waimea's Sister

Thought I'd try out the new HORT4337 hops, describe as a 'sister' hop to Waimea in a simple and hoppy golden ale.

"Intense tropical fruit and citrus aroma characters evident during selection. Over successive commercial brewing trials in styles such as Strong Pale Ales and India Pale Ales Hort 4337 has displayed high levels of tropical fruit characters of pineapple and passionfruit as well as stone fruit (peach) and citrus (grapefruit)"

20 Liter AG batch:

• 3.2kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 100g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 200g Raw Sugar
  • 25g HORT4337 @40mins
  • 25g HORT4337 @10mins
  • 25g HORT4337 @FO
  • 25g HORT4337 Dry Hop
  • M36 yeast

20191209_145817.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

20 Liter AG batch:

• 100g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 200g Raw Sugar
  • 25g HORT4337 @40mins
  • 25g HORT4337 @10mins
  • 25g HORT4337 @FO
  • 25g HORT4337 Dry Hop
  • M36 yeast

What sort of OG and ABV you heading for BS?

On 12/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Norris! said:

That's a good question. I asked my daughter if her mates who make doggy treats would be interested and was told that they've all gone to no-grain for their treats. Apparently, grain isn't highly regarded in those circles. A friend of wifey's has chooks but she doesn't want it either. I was going to throw it in the garden but am worried the birds will take a liking to it and come back in droves and crap everywhere, like they did when we kept the dog's food outside. So for now, the grain goes in the bin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Waimea's Sister

Thought I'd try out the new HORT4337 hops, describe as a 'sister' hop to Waimea in a simple and hoppy golden ale.

"Intense tropical fruit and citrus aroma characters evident during selection. Over successive commercial brewing trials in styles such as Strong Pale Ales and India Pale Ales Hort 4337 has displayed high levels of tropical fruit characters of pineapple and passionfruit as well as stone fruit (peach) and citrus (grapefruit)"

20 Liter AG batch:

• 100g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 200g Raw Sugar
  • 25g HORT4337 @40mins
  • 25g HORT4337 @10mins
  • 25g HORT4337 @FO
  • 25g HORT4337 Dry Hop
  • M36 yeast

20191209_145817.jpg

Hope all is well for you and your family over there @BlackSands, not knowing how far from the disaster you are, I guess the smoke could be bad ?

cheers,

john

53 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I was going to throw it in the garden but am worried the birds will take a liking to it and come back in droves and crap everywhere, like they did when we kept the dog's food outside. So for now, the grain goes in the bin.

Just bury it AK (Alter Kumpel) and you should be fine.  Shame to see such high quality organic matter being wasted.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Dog biscuits it is or at least I will try. My dog would eat shit, I know because I saw her do it. The biscuits might be a slight upgrade.

You'd get like 200 biscuits from a batch worth of grain, it makes heaps. I've done it in the past and the dogs had no problems but I just can't be bothered now, plus having to go and buy a heap of peanut butter just to make them. 

I have tried offering them to anyone who wants them but they show some interest then never respond again. F em, can't want it too badly. We don't really use the front garden so that's where they go to die. Haven't had any issues with birds so far, but they are kind of hidden by the hedges out there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John304 said:

Hope all is well for you and your family over there @BlackSands, not knowing how far from the disaster you are, I guess the smoke could be bad ?

cheers,

john

No worries where I am - in Auckland.  White Island blows every now and then but the worry this time was there was a tour group of around 47 on the island at the time.  There's nowhere to run, and there's nowhere to hide... 😯

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2