Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Brewing my ESB style beer tomorrow, will post up the recipe in the morning. Decided to throw in some golden syrup, just 250g. Haven't tried this before so I'll be Interested to see if it makes any noticeable difference. I've seen it used in English ale recipes before so thought I'd give it a go. I'll add it to the boil with about 10-15 minutes left.

• Like 1

Recipe: Summer Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
25.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           5          7.4 IBUs      -             
25.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           6          12.4 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Melba [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           7          10.3 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing my refusal to use temp control... A pacific ale style beer brewed with a saison yeast at shed temps.
WYeast 3711....

SUN             35
MON             35
TUE             36
WED             36
THU             33
FRI             34
SAT             32
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I'm not his biggest fan either. Only really plays well in Australia on flat roads. Quite a difference between Smith and loose bus change, only two to do anything decent in England. 

Had the chance to go on a Aussie supporters tour with Skull in the 90,s to the West Indies, but chose to marry my ex wife that year, looking back I should of gone on the supporters tour, would of had much more fun 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Back on topic... Brew Day with Cricket on the Radio ; )  

Mostly Weyermann Pilsener Malt, some Wmann acidulated malt, with a bit of BB Wheat and a bit of Munich... in the SS mesh basket and doing a pumping recirc and with a mate's rainwater.

image.png.cd59790f14aaf1817ef0b460a7b53064.png

Glad that I milled up yesterday so didn't have to fight with my old drill on Brew Day ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Had the chance to go on a Aussie supporters tour with Skull in the 90,s to the West Indies, but chose to marry my ex wife that year, looking back I should of gone on the supporters tour, would of had much more fun 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Probably, those Caribbean tours are something else. I reckon it'd be a heap of fun, also want to do an England tour at some point. Before that though, Ashes test at the Gabba next series. Dad went to one there in 1958, which I have highlights of on DVD as part of an ABC cricket box set thing. Be cool to do the same thing 60 odd years later. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Probably, those Caribbean tours are something else. I reckon it'd be a heap of fun, also want to do an England tour at some point. Before that though, Ashes test at the Gabba next series. Dad went to one there in 1958, which I have highlights of on DVD as part of an ABC cricket box set thing. Be cool to do the same thing 60 odd years later. 

Might have to meet up at a Gabba Test mate and get on it ? I used to go to the First day of the First Test at the Gabba for years, got on the turps with some of the Qld team first time we won the Shield, great days, better get back to talking about brewing I guess 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I'll be keen. I didn't hang out with a lot of players but Andy Bichel played for my club (seniors) and he used to talk to us a bit when we'd be there after the morning games watching the firsts and mucking around in the nets. 

Anyway, yes just coming up to the boil on today's brew day, crapload of rain just hit and blew through the patio area. Waiting for it to hit boiling so I can start the timer and go do a couple of things to prep for wort transfer post boil. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll be keen. I didn't hang out with a lot of players but Andy Bichel played for my club (seniors) and he used to talk to us a bit when we'd be there after the morning games watching the firsts and mucking around in the nets. 

Anyway, yes just coming up to the boil on today's brew day, crapload of rain just hit and blew through the patio area. Waiting for it to hit boiling so I can start the timer and go do a couple of things to prep for wort transfer post boil. 

Yep, Andy is a good guy. Getting back to brewing I have a Coopers Amber Ale kit, any ideas on recipes how to trick it up a bit ?

The hops I have laying around are Amarillo, Hersbrucker, Hallertau, Saaz and Tettnang.

cheers 

8F822979-AD80-4C04-85A3-4CCC318179CB.jpeg