Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

8 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

brew day went well , was five points down pre boil so had to add 200 gms dex to hit my post boil numbers. This is the second time beersmith has had me down on this beer. i dont know if its the torrified wheat or the oats or maybe its just a coincidence that out of all my brews , this is the constant where ive been down by the same numbers pre-boil. OG of 1.055 with FG expected of 1.012 should make for a nice brew

Maybe just adjust your efficiency for that beer then. Its clear it’s in this one only so just adjust for next time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much brewing for a while. I broke my finger and had surgery on Monday to fix it and reattach tendons, align ligaments and insert a pin down the middle.

I might have to start buying cases of commercial beer. I should have bought the beer Advent calendar after all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Sorry to hear about that @Hairy. 😧 Wishing you a speedy recovery. 👍

I only you lived closer, I'd send you some beer so that you would not have to resort to buying commercial beer.

But most of our friends here on the forum live in Australia. Maybe they could all send you a few bottles to tide you over till when you can brew again. 😆

Cheers,

Christina.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Sorry to hear about that @Hairy. 😧 Wishing you a speedy recovery. 👍

I only you lived closer, I'd send you some beer so that you would not have to resort to buying commercial beer.

But most of our friends here on the forum live in Australia. Maybe they could all send you a few bottles to tide you over till when you can brew again. 😆

Cheers,

Christina.

That sounds like the right thing to do.

I’ll only accept full kegs. 

And don’t worry about quality, I have grown used to drinking poorly made beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just about to start the Coopers Session Ale. The recipe calls for Galaxy and Melba hops, pretty sure I can get the Galaxy locally, but not sure on the Melba. Looked up some hop replacement charts but couldn't see Melba listed, so suggestions please? Also any other tips for this brew much appreciated thanks!

PS just realised I have 50g of Chinook in the freezer, how would they go?

Edited by ozlizard

18 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Apparently an Australian hops but only 2 suppliers listed there are USA and Canada.

Thanks, yeah found a bit more info, but the only suggested replacement is Galaxy, so maybe I could double up on that or try it with the Chinook.

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

That sounds like the right thing to do.

I’ll only accept full kegs. 

And don’t worry about quality, I have grown used to drinking poorly made beer.

Nasty business.  Sad to hear it Hairy.

Mate what about a small-bore pipeline through to Rusty Penny?

Or drone delivery and return of empty growler across to Mark and Matt?

23 hours ago, Hairy said:

Not much brewing for a while. I broke my finger and had surgery on Monday to fix it and reattach tendons, align ligaments and insert a pin down the middle.

I might have to start buying cases of commercial beer. I should have bought the beer Advent calendar after all.

You have 9 fingers left!!

• Haha 1

Brew day! 🙂

Old School Pale Ale:

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg
LDM 300gms
Dextrose 100gms
Coopers Schooner Malt grain 1kg
Munich Malt grain 400gms
CaraMalt grain 200gms
Wheat Malt grain 200gms
Mt. Hood 25gms @ FWH, 30, 5, dry hop
White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast
Brewed to 23 litres
OG = 1.051
FG = 1.013
Kegged ABV = 5.0%
EBC = 10.6 IBU = 28.4

Loosely modelled on a couple of beers listed on an old home brewers page (Ken Lenard) I found many years ago. Something between his "Memory Lapse Pale Ale" & his "Dancing Bear Extra Pale Ale" with a few small twists of my own, mainly the yeast.

Recipes - Mayfair Court Brewhouse

Given the yeast used, I'll have to look into it a little deeper, but hope the beer qualifies under the BJCP guidelines for "12B. Australian Sparkling Ale". That would be pretty cool.

Anyways, late start today so the mash is only about halfway through. Remembered the mash pH stabiliser today! Wooohooo! Winning! 😋

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, Hairy said:

Obviously not one of your typing fingers. 😜

Seriously, sorry to hear about the injury Hairy. I hope it heals well & quickly.

.....OK, I can't help it,......there's a part of me that has to know what you were doing that caused the injury.

Right now I have a vague image of you in your Teen Wolf basketball get-up trying to dunk the basketball like Woody Harrelson in "White Men Can't Jump" & maybe catching your finger on the rim? 😜

Am I close? Do tell?

Lusty.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It was a typing injury. I now dictate to Siri.

Sorry for the laugh, but a TYPING injury? Now we need to know more... Did someone smack your hand with a keyboard? Were you game playing and got a little too enthusiastic on the AK-47 button? 😄

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

It was a typing injury. I now dictate to Siri.

After not having played for years - then doing a few hoops with a few good lads for half an hour - mate gets a massive dislocation and we are in Acc-Emergency for 4 hours for it to go back in.... I am not convinced it's a typing injury big fella!

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Sorry for the laugh, but a TYPING injury? Now we need to know more... Did someone smack your hand with a keyboard? Were you game playing and got a little too enthusiastic on the AK-47 button? 😄

Whatever happened, I reckon there is a fair chance he was on his own when he did it. 😜

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

After not having played for years - then doing a few hoops with a few good lads for half an hour - mate gets a massive dislocation and we are in Acc-Emergency for 4 hours for it to go back in.... I am not convinced it's a typing injury big fella!

Guys, keep it down. You are hurting my workers comp claim for the typing injury 😉

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Hairy said:

Guys, keep it down. You are hurting my workers comp claim for the typing injury 😉

At least tell us you were going old school and using a typewriter and your hand slipped off the return bar and smacked into the typeface keys or something. 😄

• Haha 2

Lazy brew day. Need to grow the yeast again for harvesting and as I am super lazy I will harvest slurry from this one. Forbidden Fruit yeast.

Recipe: Amarillo Wheat
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          50.0 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.30 L        
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           3          15.7 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Lazy brew day. Need to grow the yeast again for harvesting and as I am super lazy I will harvest slurry from this one. Forbidden Fruit yeast.

Back at work (i.e. Brewing) after the lay-off cavorting around the Deep South on holiday @Ben 10 ?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 11/28/2019 at 8:39 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Nasty business.  Sad to hear it Hairy.

Mate what about a small-bore pipeline through to Rusty Penny?

Or drone delivery and return of empty growler across to Mark and Matt?

Great idea. I’m at Rusty Penny tonight.

Nice beers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1