Jump to content
Ben 10

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

Recommended Posts

Second version of my house pale today. I’ve taken the caramalt out. Wheat will give it some mouthfeel. 

E0D4D411-EF0F-4A5F-B831-781AC2279A54.png

ECF2F025-5AC3-4A45-840D-7A3D0C85320F.png

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve taken the caramalt out.

Looks like a nice dry pale there mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My next batch is a pale, just a bits of whatever suitable hops I have left in the freezer. Probably turn out really well and I'll never recreate it 🤣

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Looks like a nice dry pale there mate.

Thanks mate. Yep, that’s the plan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Probably turn out really well and I'll never recreate it

The only beer I remake is the Big Red. I like variety.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are the red and the pilsner. I do remake others but far less frequently. Pretty well every pale ale I do is a different recipe though. Same with English ales. I like trying different hops and hop combos in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 5 beers where i keep the same malt and hops combo but im forever changing pitch and ferment temps and yeasts and the size of the pitch as well particularly in the belgian styles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brewed a simple pale ale with galaxy and simcoe today. It was a rather smooth brewday

E8ECEC9A-2E21-4C57-B28A-A8FB8D09113F.jpeg

B5F0FF97-2CB8-4457-AD63-292B9D5EA49F.jpeg

D9A65788-772A-412F-9503-F12AFB1BC8F1.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah as i understand it the yeast multiplying throws flavour as well. Less multiplying means less flavour basically. 

So I fired up a W34/70 young yeast slurry and pitched into a lovely AG Lager (7kg malt in around 25L) at around 18 deg - it fired up quickly - and now is down at 11 deg C.... and still going strong.

there were a few earlier festy smells... is that the case with such a beast?

Not the general ferment smells w AG Ales  in my very limited experience... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So I fired up a W34/70 young yeast slurry and pitched into a lovely AG Lager (7kg malt in around 25L) at around 18 deg - it fired up quickly - and now is down at 11 deg C.... and still going strong.

there were a few earlier festy smells... is that the case with such a beast?

Not the general ferment smells w AG Ales  in my very limited experience... 

That's a lot of malt in a lager. Yeah mate. Lagers smell totally different and not as nice smelling as ales in the ferment. 11c is a good temp for that yeast as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

@Beer Baron

How are you finding the grainfather? Is the temp controller as good as they say they are?

I absolutely love the machine!! 

My temperature rarely fluctuates and if it does it’s only 1 degree either way

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

That's a lot of malt in a lager. Yeah mate. Lagers smell totally different and not as nice smelling as ales in the ferment. 11c is a good temp for that yeast as well.

Thanks Greeny. Yes mate am keen to get the ABV up there and you are deffo right is pretty heavy on the Malt for that style... am still early in my AG days but do like a beer with a bit more oooomph so is a bit of experimentation at this stage I guess... 

Really appreciate the feedback re the odours... was hoping it was not a bad thing...  Guess the proof is in the pudding... will have to see how it turns out in my rudimentary non-keg bottling system ; )

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I have 5 beers where i keep the same malt and hops combo but im forever changing pitch and ferment temps and yeasts and the size of the pitch as well particularly in the belgian styles.

Have you noticed marked flavour differences between the same malt-hops-water input but different temps - yeasts - pitch volumes Greeny?

Am keen to have a crack at this myself... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Have you noticed marked flavour differences between the same malt-hops-water input but different temps - yeasts - pitch volumes Greeny?

Am keen to have a crack at this myself... 

Most definately for the Belgian styles. For lagers I now pitch minimum 1.5 million per ml per Plato but I have taken to pitching on the yeast cake and it would be double that. But it doesn't make a difference with lagers IMO. With my ales I try to pitch 1.0 million for my normal ales. For Belgians I have tried all sorts. 0.5 up to 1.0 at different temps and it gives a different result everytime. I have almost settled on a 0.75 and a pitch at a low Temp and ramp up method especially for the high ABV beers as it gives a good balance of the alcohol flavours and the esters. But with the Belgian beers it also depends on the yeast. The buggers all react differently. I love trying new things though. I have made probably 150 batches now and still trying new things. It's a great hobby

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brew day tomorrow. GOnna do an Oatmeal stout. I bought 100 gms of Magnum also as well as 100 gms of EKG. Looking for about 30-35 IBU's, so i was thinking i could get the bittering from the magnum and get some flavour and aroma from the EKG's

 

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques

image.thumb.png.7bb39e7aa3e00cbe5bbd8ac1faa4cf44.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Brew day tomorrow. GOnna do an Oatmeal stout. I bought 100 gms of Magnum also as well as 100 gms of EKG. Looking for about 30-35 IBU's, so i was thinking i could get the bittering from the magnum and get some flavour and aroma from the EKG's

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques

Paddy it would be a terrible disgrace if you did not also add a bag of spuds?!  😜

Isn't that the secret ingredient to the Guinnless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques

Seen as your going the Imperial oatmeal ha ha I would up that bitterness a little bit more to offset that malt, abv and sweetness from the 14% crystal malts. But it’s your beer, you have full control over that........ isn’t it great.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Seen as your going the Imperial oatmeal ha ha I would up that bitterness a little bit more to offset that malt, abv and sweetness from the 14% crystal malts. But it’s your beer, you have full control over that........ isn’t it great.

Mate that’s exactly the feedback I’m looking for.  From those in the know. What would you reckon for bittering. Get 40 ibus or so from magnum then use the ekg as late additions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd push it up to around 40-45. Not really sure you'll get anything out of late hops in a style like that though, might be better off saving them for another brew.

Not every beer needs hop flavour and aroma. Some of them are all about the malt.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I agree with Otto there. With this sort of stout, i think you don’t want that in your face bitterness. Just enough to balance the crystal. 

Anyway, I’m off overseas now so by the time I’m back on board you’ll be drinking it

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Anyway, I’m off overseas now

Bring me back a present!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, Beer Baron said:

 

E8ECEC9A-2E21-4C57-B28A-A8FB8D09113F.jpeg

 

Is that a strainer on top there @Beer Baron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...