Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

big day in the garage today, 0930 to 16.30 bottled an English bitter, then put down another Pacific Ale. this time 23ltrs with the new urn. for the price the urn doesn't stack up to the Crown, but I gotta say it performed ok. Doesn't have a continues boil but maintains a constant slow boil. so far reasonably happy. null

• Like 3

I'm doing another brew day tomorrow, was gonna be Monday (I took Mon and Tues off), but other things have popped up for then, so tomorrow it is. Another red ale batch, this one hasn't been seen on tap since last year some time so it has been a while. Nothing much has changed with it other the base malt because I didn't want to buy the more expensive Gladfield at the time, although I will go back to it when I can get on a bulk buy. Also upped the FWH Cascade addition as there is no Magnum left after I used it all in the big stout.

Batch size is 25L based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Also using untreated tap water (aside from potassium met) as I've found it to suit this recipe the best.

Water
36.00 L Brisbane Water Water 1 - -

Grains
4.000 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 86.6 % 2.61 L
0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 6.5 % 0.20 L
0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 % 0.13 L
0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 5 1.5 % 0.05 L
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 6 1.1 % 0.03 L
Mash at 66C for 70 mins, 72C for 15 mins, 78C mash out

Hops
31.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 7 23.3 IBUs -
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 12.0 IBUs -
75 minute boil

Yeast
West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) ferment at 18C.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0120 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.1 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Also upped the FWH Cascade addition as there is no Magnum left after I used it all in the big stout.

I reckon that'll taste better for this style anyway so you might find you're onto a good change to your usual recipe.

A bit like what you found with the pilsners, running low on Saaz that time. 

Good luck with it! 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911

Yep I've done it before in the past and it has worked well. Sometimes I've done it for the reason today and other times it's been because the Magnum addition would have been too small to bother with. 

Either way, it should turn out a nice beer, so I'm definitely looking forward to it. Almost time to go fill the urn, starting later than I wanted but I'm not working tomorrow so it's not too bad 😜

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Mash has just begun. I daresay I'll be leaving most of the cleanup for tomorrow, probably just do the grain bag and hop spider today. I'll have pretty much all day anyway. 

Since I'm not adding any flameout hops I'll raise the hop sock at flameout and drain it before doing a whirlpool then draining to the cube. Hopefully I can get the full 25 litres, so I can start doing my blended kegs again now that I've replaced the leaking PRV on the little keg, and the lid seal itself just because. I'd had some interesting beers doing that in the past.

NZ APA/XPA

• 1.7kg LME
  • 2.0kg GF Amercan Ale Malt
  • 0.2kg GF Light Crystal Malt
  • 0.2kg GF Wheat Malt
  • 20g Moutere Hops (40 min)
  • 25g Taiheke Hops (5min)
  • 50g Riwaka Hops (whirlpool @ 49ºC)
  • 100g Sugar
  • MJ M42 Yeast

And maybe 50g Riwaka dry-hop...     🤔

• Like 4

I've still got 4kg's of an unknown stout grain bill left lying around and as it's bucketing down outside so thought I'd do a quick(ish) "short 'n' shoddy" 15 litre AG batch:

• 4kg of ?grain ( base malt, plus crystals and roasted barley etc... but who knows?) 
  • 20g Moutere Hops (30 mins)
  • 5g Moutere Hops (5mins)
  • 1 x Coopers Kit Yeast (have about 20 pkts in the fridge!)

Aiming for an OG of around 1.055-ish.  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

Doing my FWH Cascade pale ale today. Mash is nearing its end now. Just my usual pale ale malt bill, with a 55g addition of Cascade at FWH for a 75 minute boil, to about 39 IBUs. No late or flameout additions and probably won't dry hop or keg hop it either. I expect it won't be as hoppy as they usually are but I want to see what FWH brings by itself. 

Also smoking up a rolled beef rib roast while I'm brewing.

• Like 3

Mexican Saison

• 1.7kg Mexican Cerveza
  • 1kg Light Dry Malt
  • 100g Carapils
  • 12g Saaz 15 minute boil
  • 12g Saaz 15 minute steep
  • 200ml Harvested MJ French Saison Yeast
  • 12g Saaz dry hop planned

OG 1.039 compared to IanH spreadsheet prediction of 1.040

Into fermentation freezer at 23° +/-0.5°

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

Good job mate. It's a long time between rebrews for me. I reckon I'd see a fair bit of improvement if I could do them back to back like that.

That’s actually why I rebrew close together, so I can nail a recipe. 

It does help when the beer was actually really tasty anyway.  

3 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Having a crack at this vic secret pale again today. Less late hops and more bittering. 

Hi Captain - Is there a typo in your recipe?  A 30g Vic Secret 10 minute steep and a 60g Vic Secret 10 minute steep?  Is the 30g meant to be a 10 minute boil addition?

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Captain - Is there a typo in your recipe?  A 30g Vic Secret 10 minute steep and a 60g Vic Secret 10 minute steep?  Is the 30g meant to be a 10 minute boil addition?

Yeah it’s a BeerSmith thing. 

I steep 15 mins after the boil at around 92 degrees for ten minutes in this case, then  cube hop at 82 which I count as a ten minute addition. 

That make sense?

• Thanks 1

Yesterday's brew day went well, missed target OG by half an SG point so for all intents and purposes, OG was on target. Mash efficiency was half a % under predicted, so an improvement on the last batch. Only thing I did different this time was slightly reduce the mill gap, as I think the BB ale malt isn't quite as plump as the Gladfield. 

Now just to see if the target 25 litres was achieved, when it goes into the fermenter after the red ale.