Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

23 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I hope it is better than mine Hox. Yours will definitely taste different to mine using schooner malt. The pale malt in that was the Ale malt from coopers not the BB malt. FYI. 

However, there was a reason that it was Ale malt and not Maris Otter or Schooner.

Look forward to your tasting notes. Can’t wait.

I can’t wait either bloody auto correct gets me every time even  auto corrects emojis 🤬🤬there was meant to be a  thanks captain 👨✈️ 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

twice? Have not done that.

Do I then pull one lot out?

Sorry mate, didn’t see that you had already dry hopped it. But yeah, why not. 

I double dry hop single hopped beers. 70-90g, pull the first out and whack the second lot in of 70-90g then cold crash as I drop the second lot in. Gives a depth of aroma/flavour. 

Had a triple hopped Pale ale the other day that was on par with my double dry hopped beer. 

• Like 2

Coopers Aussie Pale Ale or a slight variation therof!

10lt brew.

1 x tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale

1 x 500g LDM

1 x 12g Citra Hops

1 x 12g Citra Hops at day 2-3

Temp sitting at 22, but should drop to around 21

OG 1.060

Let's see how it turns out. Smells bloody good......

• Like 2

My wife wants the half-tin of Coopers hopped LME out of the fridge to make room for food. So brew day it is! 

Making 5l of something to ferment in a little jerry can I have lying around. Just going to boil the kit for a bit (yes I know you're not supposed to do this) to kill any bugs, then throw in 25g of something nice at flameout (leaning towards Motueka at the moment, but I do have quite a few different hops in the freezer). No-chill, then ferment with a spare kit yeast from the back of the fridge. Should fit in my Cool Brewing Bag next to my Craft fermenter no worries. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

Did brew #6 & #7 today. Both now in the fermentation fridge at 18C.

8.5ltr Zaphod’s IPA at the top - OG 1.064

23ltr Shark Attack XPA at the bottom -  OG 1.045

37337645-3451-471B-90CE-A331199B415C.jpeg

Edited by Gazzala
  • Like 4

Did a rye pale ale yesterday. @The Captain!! Was nice enough to send me a recipe of his a couple of weeks back. Modified it a little after some googling and upped the rye content to 20%. Using rye I was amazed at how much crap was left after the boil. I left way more in the robobrew than I normally would. So ended up with 17.5 litres and also only got 68% efficiency with it. Anyway it's fermenting away with 1272 yeast at 18c. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Did a rye pale ale yesterday. @The Captain!! Was nice enough to send me a recipe of his a couple of weeks back. Modified it a little after some googling and upped the rye content to 20%. Using rye I was amazed at how much crap was left after the boil. I left way more in the robobrew than I normally would. So ended up with 17.5 litres and also only got 68% efficiency with it. Anyway it's fermenting away with 1272 yeast at 18c. 

Good stuff Greeny. Yeah the rye in my little recipe probably isn’t enough to call it a rye ipa but it’s still a really nice light spicy ipa. 20% is much more rye than in mine but that’ll give you that nice rye hit!!!! 

Thats a good yeast selection too mate I reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head with that one. 

I look forward to hearing how this one fairs. 

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I have never had rye in a beer so I have no idea what it tastes like but I wouldn’t mind making a half batch after reading about it!!

Rye is awesome. 

One of my first AG beers was actually Bens big red rye. Bloody great drop

• Like 1

Next batch for me is an English brown ale, but with Centennial and maybe some Cascade. I haven't got much else left..need to order more but got fn rego to pay this pay day so it'll have to wait another fortnight. Good thing there's a pilsner ready to ferment after this pale ale, that'll tie the fermenter up for a few weeks giving me time to order more hops in. 

Not sure which weekend I'll do this brew day yet, but I'll post the recipe when I do it. I made a couple of these beers last winter that went well. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Recipe: Flanders III
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Bottling Volume: 21.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 32.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          63.9 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         2          18.2 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Amber (100.0 EBC)                                Grain         3          9.1 %         0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          4.6 %         0.16 L        
0.20 kg          Light Crystal (50.0 EBC)                         Grain         5          3.6 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         6          0.5 %         0.02 L        
5.00 g           Enigma [15.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           7          7.8 IBUs      -             
5.00 g           Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.70 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop           8          3.8 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Lambic Blend (Wyeast Labs #3278) [124.21 Yeast         9          -             -             

-----------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

Just the two chaps I wanted to chat to about flanders reds!  I was going to start a thread about it.

I'm def going to brew one.  I need to buy my glass 23L demijohn first.  I'm going to try and fine the Roeslaere blend from Wyeast and from what I read it will have to sit in the demijohn for 12 months until that pellicle drops.  Set and forget.  May even get an oak spiral to throw in there.  Will also get a friend to turn down a piece of wood into a bung so there is just the right amount of oxygen ingress into the demijohn for this style of beer.

I am going to get some more Rodenbach from one of my local bottleshops the next time stock comes in.  I'm happy to buy beer - but usually new styles I haven't tried yet or beers like Rodenbach and Liefmans than I can't or haven't brewed myself yet,

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joolbag said:

I'm happy to buy beer - but usually new styles I haven't tried yet or beers like Rodenbach and Liefmans than I can't or haven't brewed myself yet,

Yep, it's the Belgian beers I tend to buy, especially those that have had a lot of time put into them.

For example the De Struise Pannepot Gran Reserva spends 4 years in ex-Bordeaux barrels. No way I can make that, so I'm happy to pay a fair price to sample it, especially when it tastes so good!

Unfortunately I'm not so willing to spend on locally brewed craft beer when in my experience it's fairly easy to brew something just as good at home for a much cheaper cost. 

Cheers, 

John