Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Brew day! 🙂

SFWH Pale Ale v.2:

Briess Pale Ale Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
Supernova/CaraMalt grain 300gms (steeped)
Dextrose 150gms
Cascade 40gms/Motueka 15gms @ SFWH30
Fortnight 50gms/Motueka 10gms/Columbus 30gms dry hopped
Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast rehydrated
OG = approx. 1.046
FG = approx. 1.011
EBC = approx. 19.0
IBU = approx. 35.8
Kegged ABV = approx. 4.7%
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ 18°C

This SFWH process produced a ripper beer first time up, enough so that when I'm not partial mashing any grains, this will likely become the mainstay process for extract based beers I make that may only require an additional grain steep. This brew is basically a clean-up brew of a few grains & hops I have that need to be used up.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just about time to squeeze the grain bag, remove the false bottom from the urn and add the first wort hops to this batch. I dropped my phone on the concrete just before, was only from just above knee height but now the screen doesn't fn work so I'll have to go old school and time the boil on my wrist watch instead since we don't have any other timers in the house. Unless I can get my old phone working and put the sim in it temporarily.

Brew day went pretty smoothly, other than the circuit breaker tripping for some reason and temporarily cutting the boil. I simply extended the boil time to account for that. I got my old phone charged up enough and used it for the boil timer, which I might do for all of them from now on until it completely shits itself. The inbuilt timer on this phone (screen fixed yesterday) can only do one countdown timer at a time but the other one can do multiple timers simultaneously. Because of this I can set the main boil timer and a couple of other ones to alert me when there's a hop addition or something coming up, rather than having to constantly check the timer. I know I could get an app, but I don't need to yet.

I probably boiled it for nearly 2 hours all up, got the cube practically brim full before the hot break started trying to escape through the ball valve, so I'll definitely get 21 litres, maybe 22 in the fermenter. The OG ended up at 1.046, but the pre boil SG was also a little lower than expected. The pilsner malt is old though, so maybe that's why. Just trying to use it up so I can get some fresh stuff. 

I've been experimenting with doing a whirlpool again now that I have a pulley system again. If flameout hops are used, they get a 10 minute steep and then the hop spider is hoisted up to drain and be squeezed out. If no flameout hops, I just hoist the hop spider at flameout, allow it to drain then squeeze. After that's done I get a good whirlpool going, pop the lid on and leave it for 20 minutes, then drain. I take the lid off when the level gets low, so I can see what the hot break is doing. Seems to get a bit more wort into the cube before the hot break gets near the outlet. 

From what I've read about it, it's better to let the hot break settle a bit before whirlpooling, which works well with the flameout steeps, as well as letting the spider drain for a short time before squeezing it out. 

Next brew day I'll probably do another brown/dark ale. I have a bunch of hops that need using up but aren't in large enough quantities to be effectively used in their usual styles, so it'll probably serve as a bit of a freezer cleanout brew.

Cheers

Kelsey

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

Just in the middle of Coopers ESVA. Used the base ingredients as normal

Coopers APA tin

Coopers Real Ale

500 gms Dex

300 gms Light Crystal cold steeped over night\

Added 25 gms Centennial at flame out for 15 mins.

Dry hop with 50 gms East Kent Goldings in about 6 days

US05 yeast and to brew can yeast, 18 degrees ferment

Whole thing took me 1 hour ,ive got brew day down to a tee with this extract malarky. know exactly what im doing when other things are going on like the boil and steep etc

Might be my last extract brew for a while as i intend to purchase the robobrew next month and i have a bit of a stockpile to get through which includes

Coopers ESVA 18 , have about 12 tallies left

Milk Stout, maybe 10 tallies

Anarchy IPA, approx 20 left

Battleship Bitter, 25 tallies currently secondary fermenting

I do however want to brew the Coopers Dark Monk, that was easily one of my favorites and would highly recommend seeing as we're in the colder months.

• Like 3

Eminem (M-N-M) Pilsner 

A 50/50 partial mash.  I called it "MNM" because of the hop choice - Moutere, Nelson Sauvin and Motueka

• 1.7kg Coopers OS lager
  • 2.0kg GF German Pilsner Malt
  • 200g GF Vienna Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 150g Sugar
  • 10g Moutere @ 20min
  • 10g Nelson Sauvin @ 10 min
  • 10g Motueka @ 5min
  • 10g Moutere @ 0min 
  • 15g Nelson Sauvin (steep)
  • 15g Motueka (steep)
  • MJ M54 yeast

Expected ABV = 5%

Currently mashing at 66ºC ...  but forgot to add 10g gypsum  😕

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Throw it in now, it'll still do its intended thing.

Achieved quite 'good' efficiency this time.  I usually work to 65% with my partials but this time it's around 72%.  Target OG was 1.045 but measures 1.047.   rehydrated M54 going in now... and then the waiting begins!  🕣

• Like 1

Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 47.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          52.2 %        1.96 L        
1.50 kg          Australian Ale (5.6 EBC)                         Grain         2          26.1 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC)                          Grain         3          17.4 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Light Crystal (50.0 EBC)                         Grain         4          4.3 %         0.16 L        
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Flameout        20.0         Hop           5          13.7 IBUs                  
30.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Flameout         20.0 min     Hop           6          14.6 IBUs      
15.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Flameout        20.0 min      Hop           11         7.2 IBUs            
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep @ 80°       20.0 min    Hop           7          2.3 IBUs                  
20.00 g          Cascade [6.40 %] - Steep @ 80°  20.0 min         Hop           8          1.7 IBUs                   
20.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep @ 80°  20.0 min         Hop           9          4.1 IBUs                  
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep @ 80°  20.0 min         Hop           10         4.1 IBUs                  

Dry hop lots
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJ Liberty Bell Yeast

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 47.7 IBUs
Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          52.2 %        1.96 L        
1.50 kg          Australian Ale (5.6 EBC)                         Grain         2          26.1 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC)                          Grain         3          17.4 %        0.65 L       

Arvo Ben, good to see yer back again... the kilo of wheat... head retention and creamier mouth feel?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, The Captain!! said:

Brew day for my brother. Pirate life inspired pale.

B17BDA1B-0CCD-4ECA-884F-4D26475911DE.png

0AEBE6B7-8569-4B15-8CD2-4327FD063184.png

Hi guys had a crack at the @Captain Pirate Life Inspired Pale Ale today will let you know how It tastes. Hit all my numbers other than one minor error at the end with the trub guard forgot to put it in lost about a litre. From Captains comments our tastes sound the same so thought I would try it cheers 👨✈️ .

I did use Coopers Schooner Malt though so mine will probably be better haha haha @PB2

Cheers Hox

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHB19 said:

I did use Coopers Schooner Malt though so mine will probably be better haha haha @PB2

Cheers Hox

I hope it is better than mine Hox. Yours will definitely taste different to mine using schooner malt. The pale malt in that was the Ale malt from coopers not the BB malt. FYI. 

However, there was a reason that it was Ale malt and not Maris Otter or Schooner.

Look forward to your tasting notes. Can’t wait.

• Like 1