Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

20 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Absolutely! That's what I do with every all-grain batch I do now. I steam sanitise the kettle lid, and pour through a sanitised strainer into the fermenter once cooled. Has worked perfectly for me for quite a few batches now. 

Cheers, 

John

Thanks PM911 John!  Yes am planning on the first scary foray into the world of AG - with your and other master brewers' advice...  thanks mate - and all ye master brewers abroad one and all.

Seems to be a good mix of argument on this site regarding the above...  which is a beautiful thing...  a great place to learn... whether it is keg hopping or pH stabilisers or yes chill no chill or straight into a cube yer Dill!!!    I like your suggestion John...  I am not a lover of plazzi and don't really wanna go down that cube route just yet meself  😆  

image.png.e4849219089c8d9559c287b3825d2548.png

• Like 1

Well my wife turns 40 in a month or so and we are going on a bus trip around margs and surrounding areas for a basically, piss up. We are going to take a couple of esky's for the aisle and plan to fill these with inoffensive beers.

Im thinking a hop forward 150 lashes inspired pale and another lower alcohol pale.

Both bottles around the 4.7 mark.

Theres the issue of brewing a beer that suits the mass palate. And ill do another batch for me and my other two craft beer loving mates.

• Like 2

Threw down the coopers battleship bitter just there. Just followed the recipe but threw in 200gms of dex to bump it up a bit. Just rehydrated and pitched the yeast there. Used Nottingham but also used half of the kit yeast given some of the slow ferments for the same recipe experienced by a couple on here 

• Like 3

Bilby Chocolate Porter - This month's Craft Recipe Of The Month

• 1.3kg Winter Dark Ale
  • 250g Smooth Malt Extract
  • 100g Midnight Wheat Grains
  • 1tblsp Cocoa Powder
  • 11g Lallemand Nottingham Yeast (Rehydrated)

I made it up to 9.5L instead of the recommended 8.5L.  I prefer to ease back the ABV of these craft recipes.

OG 1.052 Set at 18°

• Like 4

I did a partial mash today, bitsa ale.

1 Morgan's Mexican cerveza

2kg maris otter 60min mash at 65

165g carapils

250g wheat malt

US05 rehydrated and fermented at 16c for 4 days, 20c for 3 days and 22c for 2 days then a cold crash for 3 days or just keg and crash in the keg while carbonating.

22l total for 1.048, it was suppose to be 1.050 so happy with the numbers/efficiency, it wasn't way off or anything, so I didn't add any extra dry malt.  I am expecting about 30ibus. Not super sure about the kit IBUs, but doubt it is above 24 ibus at 22l.

10g of Nelson sauvin, 25g of mosaic, citra and azacca at flameout and steeped for 10 min. Then actively cooled the wort down in a sink for 10 minutes.

I will dry hop the rest of the 20g Nelson sauvin, 30ish grams of the MAC combo each at day 4 or so, right around the 75% complete mark, for a total of about 5.4g a liter.

Should be a nice drink to finish off the warm weather. Took me about 3 hours but everything was cleaned, kids fed and done before 11 am.

Norris

• Like 2

Anzac day - so I thought I'd honour our friends across the Tasman with a Pavlova Pale Ale. Ramped it up to 21L a la @Shamus O'Sean's post.

IMG_20190425_140032.thumb.jpg.286902de1d2a4101ccb7c58a36b57460.jpg

Sticky business indeed. Had a grand old time trying to work out order of steps - pretty sure I got it down though.

Next time I won't be such a hipster and use natural vanilla bean extract.

IMG_20190425_142912.thumb.jpg.406931bcde6655a5abbef2f394313347.jpg

I think it's gonna be a speckley beer.

Edited by elLachlano
  • Like 6

I started a little experiment today, my first foray into extract brewing 🙂 It's a pale ale and it's pretty simple but as they say, baby steps.

Batch size is 8.5l

1.5kg light liquid malt

250g light crystal

7.5g Amarillo @60min

15g Cascade and 15g Amarillo @15min

7.5g Amarillo and 15g Cascade @flame out

S-04 rehydrated

Let's see how it turns out 🍺

• Like 6

A bit of an experimental partial-mash brew, based on the basic specs for an English bitter.   Instead of using the usual crystal malts etc I've instead just used GF Aurora malt at around 50% of my grain bill.  It's a base malt  -  I guess it could be therefore considered an extra-dark Munich malt though some refer to it as an aromatic malt.    I also wanted to revisit Rakau hops in this one.  I'd used them once before and hadn't really rated them but I've been reading some good stuff about them elsewhere so I thought I'd revisit them once more and see what I think about them this time: 

• 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 2kg GF Aurora Malt
  • 200g Wheat Malt
  • 10g Moutere Hops @ 15mins
  • 25g Rakau Hops @ 5mins
  • 25g Rakau Hops (steep/whirlpool)

| ABV=4.5% | IBU=32 | EBC=26 | 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

BS - Wheat Malt for head retention?   Creamier ?  Interested... BB

Possibly both.  First time I ever used wheat it actually seemed to have the opposite effect.  That particular beer performed quite badly in that regard.  I avoided wheat for several years since then and also because of issues I was having with phenolics when using US-05 yeast and also because of the ferulic acid associated with wheat which could potentially further exacerbate the phenol problem.

More recently I brewed a 25% wheat beer which was actually an OK beer (not really a wheat fan) and the head did seem quite creamy and persistent.  This here is the second brew since that one where I've added a relatively small amount of wheat.  The one prior to this had a very well-behaved head so I thought I'd try wheat a third time and see if I get similar results.   It's all very anecdotal and subjective of course.  

• Like 1

Gave the electric pot it’s maiden run last night and put down a small batch of an AG London Brown Ale.

1.5kg Crisp Maris Otter

.5kg medium crystal

.125kg Light Chocolate 

15g EKG @45 mins

Pre-boil gravity was spot on (can’t remember exactly what it was) but the post boil will be high. I expected a post boil volume of about 11l to the fermenter but only ended up with about 9.5l into the cube. I’ll check it tonight before throwing in the yeast (SO4) and if it’s to low I’ll top up with a bit of boiled water. Cubed overnight.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, Titan said:

Raspberry Sour. Almost at mash out. This will be a kettle sour. 

60 min mash

10 min boil then cool to 40c before adding 5 lacto tablets.

First full sour beer i have attempted.

Screenshot_20190327-121824.jpg

Just got back from brew club meeting that had a structured tasting of 3 brewers quick sour beers. This was why i brewed this one. Feedback i got was tremendous. Nothing negative. Just glad i tried something a little different and well outside my comfort zone.

• Like 9

Well I might not be able to use my fermentation fridge properly for the next little while but I can still do brew days and get some wort ready for when it is back in action. Doing another Bohemian Pilsner tomorrow. I've increased the early boil additions from the last batch; I have that one on tap currently, that I think has just about run out, but its bitterness just isn't quite where I want it. The batch before it was better. Hopefully this one will be better too.

21 litre batch size based on 75% brewhouse efficiency.

Water and Treatment
33.00 L Distilled Water Water 1 - -
0.44 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
0.40 g Chalk (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
0.34 g Baking Soda (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
0.32 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -

Grain
4.000 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 94.0 % 2.61 L
0.150 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 % 0.10 L
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.3 % 0.07 L
0.006 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.2 % 0.00 L
Mash at 63C for 40 minutes, 72C for 30 minutes, 78C mashout

Hops
50.00 g Saaz [2.80 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 18.4 IBUs -
60.00 g Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 19.8 IBUs -
40.00 g Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 6.2 IBUs -
30.00 g Saaz [2.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 13 2.3 IBUs -
90+ minute boil*

Yeast
Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) from starter. Pitch and ferment at 12C, raising to 18 after 6 days.

The Figures
Est Original Gravity: 1.0477 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0085 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 46.8 IBUs
Est Color: 9.3 EBC

*Could be lengthened at the 20 minute left mark if I decide it needs it.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well I might not be able to use my fermentation fridge properly for the next little while but I can still do brew days and get some wort ready for when it is back in action.

Nice one, that's a plus point of no-chill! 

I've got some 2278 yeast on the way, along with some Motueka and Simcoe. Will use it in another take on my dry hopped Aramis pils first (up the IBUs a bit), then get a little more esoteric with pilsner interpretations. Any tips for getting this strain to behave? Sulphur? Diacetyl?

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

Definitely one of the things I like about no chilling! Those replacement wires should be here next week, so not too long to wait. I have a cube of pale ale wort ready to go in next. 

I haven't done much different with the 2278 than other lager strains I've used. I did notice that it fermented quite slow at 10 degrees, so that's why I'm starting it at 12 this time. I haven't noticed a lot of sulphur odor from it and no diacetyl in the batches I've used it in. I just raise the temp to 18 after 6-7 days and leave it up there until 3-4 days after it hits FG. 

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I haven't done much different with the 2278 than other lager strains I've used. I did notice that it fermented quite slow at 10 degrees, so that's why I'm starting it at 12 this time. I haven't noticed a lot of sulphur odor from it and no diacetyl in the batches I've used it in. I just raise the temp to 18 after 6-7 days and leave it up there until 3-4 days after it hits FG. 

Thank you, good to know. I'll ferment slightly warmer at around 14C to blow off any sulphur quickly. Don't think I'll have much luck raising the temp to 18C with cooler weather setting in here, so will have to let time do its thing.

My smack pack and hops arrived today, so good to go. Need to bottle up my stout Monday night, so might give 2278 a run a week or possibly 2 after that. 

Cheers, 

John 

No worries mate, hope it goes well for you. I find it similar to 2001, which is to be expected I suppose given they both come from the Urquell brewery. 

Not sure why the predicted FG is that low in my recipe though, it should be around 1.010. I'll have to look at the mash profile. 

So brew day yesterday. Decided on a smaller punk IPA. will be roughly 6.2% once in the bottle. over shot my og by 3 points. was aiming for 1050, got 1053.

Still going to be a tasty beer regardless.

5.29kg coopers ale 

.3kg light crystal

.12kg acid

FWA, 14g chinook, 10g Ahtanum

Steep 15mins flame out, 19g Chinook, 11g Ahtanum

Cube hop, 82c 24g Chinook, 11g Ahtanum, 11g Simcoe, 11g Nelson

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No worries mate, hope it goes well for you. I find it similar to 2001, which is to be expected I suppose given they both come from the Urquell brewery. 

Not sure why the predicted FG is that low in my recipe though, it should be around 1.010. I'll have to look at the mash profile. 

Bloody Beersmith was using the old mash profile for some reason, which is the actual mash profile I use when I brew it as detailed in the recipe but for some reason Beersmith predicts the FG at about 2-3 points lower than I actually get in reality. I have to use a single infusion mash profile at around 65 degrees for it to accurately predict the FG. Revised ABV prediction is 4.9%.

Just about time to squeeze the grain bag, remove the false bottom from the urn and add the first wort hops to this batch. I dropped my phone on the concrete just before, was only from just above knee height but now the screen doesn't fn work so I'll have to go old school and time the boil on my wrist watch instead since we don't have any other timers in the house. Unless I can get my old phone working and put the sim in it temporarily.

• Sad 1