Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

2 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I'm impressed you got the older style Aus Pale can .. all I got is this 

20190107_200537.jpg

Well this can had a BB of 2015 .

Because I'm not very nice and slightly annoyed my goal here is passive aggressive with a stated goal of making really bad beer. 

This is not something I do as a rule,  this is not something I'd suggest anyone else do as the results are depressing if you have to drink it. 

I'll get my satisfaction from watching freeloaders drink it,  worst case if they learn the lesson I'll brew another abomination to blend it with 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Was also thinking of also  making a atrocity.. can make a 5 can for -20$ haha 3 x cerv and 2 of the lagers spend the extra buck or 2 and throw in 1-2 brewing sugars.

20190107_200817.jpg

You need to think about what yeasties you're prepared to sacrifice to the cause,  there's not that many strains that will handle stupidly high gravity without off flavours. 

DO NOT FOLLOW MY LEAD HERE,  this is a "test to destruction" scenario. 

I'm testing this yeast and my housemates so I can draw funding from 2 separate uni budgets.... Oh chit... No I'm not  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey all and happy new year. I just did my first revisit of a recipe, that wasnt a pimped out kit.

Stepping to the AM II

1.5kg Pilsen lme briess added after the boil

250g dry wheat malt extract and 750g light dry malt extract added to a 10l boil, well 850g added to the boil with 250g of the carapils to get to around 1.040 for the boil, with the remainder added after the boil.

250g carapils steeped for 40 minutes

250g dextrose added after the boil, to help make it crisper.

15 min boil 10g Azacca and Mosaic

3 min boil 25g Azacca and Mosaic

1.050 OG with 26 IBUS

65g dry hop of both after fermentation ends

Joystick Yeast 300ml of slurry, 1 month old from a 1.045 batch, washed. Might be an over pitch but wanted to ensure a good pitch rate since it was older than 2 weeks, so between 360 billion cells and maybe 270 billion cells so should be ok, I think, if I understand slurry density right, 1.2 billion cells per ml of slurry?

I switched up the boil times for this batch, last one was all at flameout with another addition after the temp dropped to below 80c to get to around 28 ibus, but my notes said it was a little to bitter, so I wanted to control the bitterness better with boil times instead of flameout to see if I could taste a difference, hopefully I dont lose too much aroma and flavour but the big dry hop should help with that at 6.2g/l dry hop, we will see. I also switched the yeast from M44 to Joystick to use the slurry and save some dollars and added wheat malt to help add some body to it along with upping the alcohol content slightly, the dry hop almost tripled from the last batch of a modest 22g of each. So besides those slight changed...all the same recipe, haha.

Good brewing,

Norris

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, Mark D Pirate said:

I will now lower the bar and not only make it super boozy,  super bitter but also almost free!!  

something like #metoo bitter, from when your mates wake up in prison, or parks (pants around the ankles, sore....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, elLachlano said:

With 2 boys under 6, speed is probably the one thing keeping me from moving to all grain for the moment.

but biab  is easy to set and forget. the only thing that has to be done on time is turning off the boil.

mash too long - sure why not. 

• Like 1

Put down a All Grain Australian Pale Ale - No Rules - No Chill

This is the 2nd All Grain I have done while dialing in the new kettle and mash tun changes I've made.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.85 L (*)
Post Boil Volume: 23.96 L (**)
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 12.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.60 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.50 kg          (Briess) Pale Malt (2 Row) (7.0 EBC)             Grain         1          92.8 %        2.93 L        
0.25 kg          (Briess) Carapils Malt (2.0 EBC)                 Grain         2          5.2 %         0.16 L        
0.10 kg          (Briess) Caramel Munich Malt 60L (120.0 EBC)     Grain         3          2.1 %         0.07 L        
14.00 g          Super Alpha [13.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 min      Hop           4          25.2 IBUs     -             
1.22 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)                Fining        5          -             -             
10.00 g          Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          5.0 IBUs      -             
10.00 g          Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  Hop           7          2.0 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast         8          -             -             
35.00 g          Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop           9          0.0 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days              Hop           10         0.0 IBUs      -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.85 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperature           Step Time           
Mash In           Add 14.65 L of water at 73.5 C          66.7 C                     60 min              

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 17.06L) of 75.6 C water

So was just over my Brew House Efficiency 72% (72.60%), a couple of issues I found:

*) I've only accounted for dead space under the false bottom that can't be recovered so I guess this is one part of my dead space loss

i) My pre-boil volume came out at 29.50 liters, estimated in Beer Smith was 25.85 liters, I only put 31.5 liters in not 31.71, I'm at a loss as to why the estimate was 25.85, is this due how the grain was milled I'm still trying to work out what the recoverable value would be based on.

**) Since modifying the kettle with the electric element this has changed my boil off, which originally based on gas, this is a easy one to resolve.

ii) Take enough water to cover the element say 10 liters in my case, bring it to boil for 15 minutes, cut the power put the lid on the kettle and then measure what I have left out of the 10 liters then multiply that by 4.

I was happy my mash strike temp was .3 off the estimate, and also my mash efficiency was 97%, with the 1.2 liter top up this hit my estimated OG of 1.046, so yesterday was a successful brew I noted four issues I had three have been resolved, notably the boil off rate still needs to be adjusted.

I did have a stuck sparge this added 30 minutes to the mash schedule, purely this was trying to unclog the tube from the pick up on the false bottom to the drain port, I did end up adding an extra 3 liters from the 17 I had in the HLT, this made the mash less gluey but didn't resolve it, blowing up the drain pipe cleared it after a few attempts to where I had a nice flow.

There is a little gap where the false bottom isn't quite flat, so I'll take about 10 mm of material off the screen this should fix that 🙂

Hope these notes help some people out with starting all grain brews 🙂 

Tristan

Edited by tja1980
  • Like 1

I don't think a 5 can would turn out very well at all. I'd just keep them as keg fillers or use them to make yeast starters. 

Anyway, I have the desktop computer here now, will set it up tomorrow (or later today) and make up a recipe or two to get done before I go back to work on Tuesday. Unfortunately I won't be able to post them yet because the internet isn't being connected until Monday, but once it is I'll put them up. 

Cheers

Kelsey

Stopped off at the hop and grain store and picked up a few random bits n pieces I hadn't used before. Looking forward to trying the acid malt and topaz / calypso hops instead of my goto Galaxy yes I know Ella is in there but that's for a ESVA ima put down. Just gotta make a recipe for 2morrow.

20190110_154502.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, Mark D Pirate said:

After being told off by a commie  housemate for " hoarding " my beer and not sharing I decided to go full passive aggressive and produce the worst beer I can. 

Disgraceful ungratefuls...

history - a previous post - mate brewed a terrible oxidised can... was very dark... the name was "Black Death"... suspect your brew will be of such a higher quality ...

maybe if it is dark enough... Black Death would be good... if not... maybe 'Brown Death" 😝

On 1/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, Ben 10 said:

yep. I make all grain beers but for my RIS I added a kilo of dex to get the abv up.

so a pretty silly question.... but for my first ever BIAB barley mashmaster minimill crush brew.... for a reasonable go... what temp am I aiming at - I understand that there a all sorts of ranges and step mashes and everything known to mankind.... but as a base rule-of-the-thumb.... crush a bag of malted grain (mostly barley)... what is my Mash Temp ye Master Brewers?

5 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Stopped off at the hop and grain store and picked up a few random bits n pieces...

20190110_154502.jpg

I love camera shots like this. i.e. I bought soo much shite from my LHBS I can't even fit it all in a single camera shot! 🤣

Nice. 😎 That's dedication to the cause. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

@Beerlust I was dropping the missus off at the airport and she was wondering why I was happy to drive a hour thru Sydney peak hour traffic to do so. Gotta make it worth your while😁😂🤣.

Nice shop there at marrickville. Everything you need. Touch on the expensive side but great selection.

• Like 1