Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

On 4/7/2019 at 8:15 PM, The Captain!! said:

Yeah it’s a BeerSmith thing. 

I steep 15 mins after the boil at around 92 degrees for ten minutes in this case, then  cube hop at 82 which I count as a ten minute addition. 

That make sense?

@The Captain!! I was wondering how you get around the cube hop in beer smith , there is no provision, I usually cube at about 80deg over night

Edited by John304

1 hour ago, John304 said:

@The Captain!! I was wondering how you get around the cube hop in beer smith , there is no provision, I usually cube at about 80deg over night

Yeah I cube at 82. So set the whirlpool temp to that which takes about ten minutes to get to 80. That’ll factor in some ibus for the cube hop. 

I usually add 5 mins per degree. So if it was 83, the whirlpool addition would be 15 mins at 83.

• Like 1

To celebrate my first year of brewing kits and bits I decided to have a try at my own recipe.

1.5kg coopers LME

1.6kg coopers LDM

250g light crystal

40g Cascade FWH 15mins

50g Vic. Secret 15min steep under 80°C

2 sachets coopers Ale yeast rehydrated. 

Made to 23 litres

Pitched and ferment at 18°C 

Dry hop to follow on day 4, 50g Vic. secret.

O.G 1.045

Put this brew down on Saturday and dry hopped last night. Tasting pretty good although I would have preferred it to be a bit more bitter. I don't have any brewing software so it was a stab in the dark really.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 6

Brew day! 🙂

My Galaxy/Ella Kolsch v.4:

Briess Pilsen Light LME 1.5kg
Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract 300gms
Pilsner Malt grain 500gms
Vienna Malt grain 500gms
Rye Malt grain 400gms
CaraPils grain 250gms
¼ tsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer (I remembered Yay!)
Galaxy 25gms @ 15mins
Ella 20gms @ 5mins
Galaxy 60gms hop tea 75-80°C
Galaxy 75gms dry hopped
Ella 25gms dry hopped
Wyeast German Ale 1007 (direct pitched)
Brewed to 22 litres
Ferment @ 15°C
OG = approx. 1.048
FG = ?
Bottled ABV = approx. 4.6%
EBC = 7.1 IBU = 25.8

New yeast this time. I usually use the 2565 but it was unavailable from my LHBS atm so thought I'd give the 1007 a go. A powdery strain apparently that doesn't float my boat, but I'll likely cold condition this version to drop the powdery yeast whereas I haven't with the 2565 versions even though they leave a little haze. I'll see how it looks first after FG has been reached. A little more rye malt this time & took 5mins off the primary bittering addition of Galaxy entry point into the boil, but added 5gms of weight. Subbed some CaraPils for the usual CaraHell this time too.

I can't believe it's been nearly 3½yrs since I last brewed this. It's one of my best beers.

I haven't brewed a Galaxy infused beer for a long time, so I'm looking forward to a few of these before the real cold weather hits.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 5

On 4/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

as I think the BB ale malt isn't quite as plump as the Gladfield. 

Sorry a bit late to reply. Haven’t been on forum much this week. I went to a talk from the Sydney Gladfield rep and he said go wider for Gladfield as they are better graded and plumper. I know we don’t get stuck mashes but if you mill Gladfield too fine it shatters. Affecting the drainage and possibly efficiency. Just buy Gladfield all the time, no need to set mill and their product is extremely consistent from sack to sack

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

New yeast this time. I usually use the 2565 but it was unavailable from my LHBS atm so thought I'd give the 1007 a go.

I’m keen to hear the results Lusty. 1007 was recommended for my Berliner Weisse beers, but I had a Kolsch strain WLP029 on hand so I used that. I believe 029 is the white labs equivalent of WY2565?

I preferred the sour beers made with the kolsch yeast over the us-05

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

My Galaxy/Ella Kolsch v.4:

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.6%

Sorry that was kegged ABV. Bottled ABV would be around 4.9%.

Currently have the boil at the latter stage of cooling. The mash was interesting. It was the first time I've ever come close to what the AG'ers call a "stuck mash". The percentage of Rye malt I used this time made sparging difficult through my usual strainer. It pooled (for a better word) & took longer to pour through. I'll keep that in mind with future uses of this grain.

The Galaxy hop tea smells awesome! 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

30 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Sorry a bit late to reply. Haven’t been on forum much this week. I went to a talk from the Sydney Gladfield rep and he said go wider for Gladfield as they are better graded and plumper. I know we don’t get stuck mashes but if you mill Gladfield too fine it shatters. Affecting the drainage and possibly efficiency. Just buy Gladfield all the time, no need to set mill and their product is extremely consistent from sack to sack

I normally do, or will normally be after I was happy with the first sack. At the time I bought this sack, funds were a little low so I went the cheaper option. Usually I get on bulk buys and it's around $60. 

I generally mill pretty coarse by BIAB standards anyway, because I've found it to improve my efficiency. 

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Looks good @Beerlust

Is 1007 similar to K97? If so it should produce a nice beer.

Do you notice a difference using the 5.2 stabiliser?

Thanks Hairy. 🙂

You're spot on with the comparison between the K97 & the Wyeast 1007. I expect they are very similar despite never using either.

Our ol' mate Chad put me onto the 5.2 stabilizer as he used it very successfully when he brewed with it. I think this is only the 3rd time I've used it in my partial mashing, but the two previous occasions I've used it, the beers turned out very well. I keep forgetting to add the damn stuff prior to mashing in! When I looked into what it is made from, it appears to just be a fairly generic blend of most of the water chemicals more experienced AG brewers use in their brews to create very specific water profiles. The 5.2 for the beginning of the mash is often recommended so I thought this might be an easy way to dip my toe in the water (so to speak) with adjusting water profiles.

I had a lot of time & respect for Chad & his brewing views here on the forum & admit I do miss him around the place these days. 😢

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Hiya Norris. 🙂

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Is Ella like Chinook but with more tropical notes?

No.

It has a spicy element to it as does Chinook, but nothing I would suggest that is comparable to the grapefruit flavour/aromas of Chinook.

If you look at the identified spectrum(s) of both hops, despite them being half sisters, Galaxy & Ella are very different.

http://www.hops.com.au/project/ella/

http://www.hops.com.au/project/galaxy/

I admit I haven't done an isolated brew to confirm Ella's true qualities across the various addition points of creating a full brew with it to know it's full potential.

My Galaxy/Ella Kolsch recipe didn't come lightly. It is a culmination of a Kolsch recipe listed on the Briess website, information provided by an Irish craft brewer (I think?) highlighted on the HPA website for a brew he had done using both Galaxy & Ella hops soon after they were released, along with information Ben Kraus (Owner of the Bridge Road Brewery) provided me with to do with late boil/whirlpool addition practices.

I feel what I took from all of that info made a really nice beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Lusty. Your recipe looks amazing, might be something I try in a brew or two. I have been wanting to use some kolsch yeast due to what it brings to the beer but haven't been game enough...and been saving dollars reusing yeast. 

Cheers for the explanation.

Norris

• Like 1

Thanks Norris. 🙂

It's not entirely dissimilar to the Galaxy Pacific Ale stuff being praised over in that thread. To give you some idea of the similarity, 4 Pines commercial brewery reportedly use US-05 to ferment their Kolsch.

I found the 2565 Kolsch strain to be a little less flocculant than US-05 thus imparts a slight yeast derived flavour into the beer that despite the slight haziness, is actually really nice to drink flavour-wise. Commercially the Kolsch style can be presented acceptably two ways, hazy, or cold conditioned like a European lager (very clear). I personally like the slight haziness with the yeast in suspension in this beer. If I didn't, I may as well ferment it with US-05.

I'll likely bottle a couple from this batch so will send you one if it turns out any good with the 1007.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Who would have thought a grown man could be so scared of lagers.

How are you with spiders? 😜

Ha ha it’s not that I’m scared, it’s just that they taste like sh!t. I don’t like drinking anything that tastes like that ha ha ha. I have mentioned in other threads my liking of the IPL from Beerfarm. Would I brew that over a IPA, absolutely not. 

Spiders are amazing. Especially the big “Wolfies” we get here in WA. They keep away all the other things like redbacks, cockroaches, flies, baby cows and small children. We keep at least one in our house at any givin time. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Ha ha it’s not that I’m scared, it’s just that they taste like sh!t. I don’t like drinking anything that tastes like that ha ha ha. I have mentioned in other threads my liking of the IPL from Beerfarm. Would I brew that over a IPA, absolutely not. 

They're just like any other beer, you can make them to the levels you want if you are the persevering type. I like how smooth the bitterness is from the lager strains, & the improved mouthfeel, head & bead often are. The malt friendliness is good too, but at the expense of hop character. That last bit I'm still trying to improve with my Enterprising Lager experiments. It's a learning curve, but fun. I'd brew more hoppy lagers, but they are very time intensive against ale brews I find.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

...Spiders are amazing. Especially the big “Wolfies” we get here in WA. They keep away all the other things like redbacks, cockroaches, flies, baby cows and small children. We keep at least one in our house at any givin time. 

The redbacks you have over there must be some whimpy, genetically flawed 2nd cousins of the ones here in SA, coz here they kill everything. 😜 🤣

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

They're just like any other beer, you can make them to the levels you want if you are the persevering type. I like how smooth the bitterness is from the lager strains, & the improved mouthfeel, head & bead often are. The malt friendliness is good too, but at the expense of hop character. That last bit I'm still trying to improve with my Enterprising Lager experiments. It's a learning curve, but fun. I'd brew more hoppy lagers, but they are very time intensive against ale brews 

I am interested in your enterprises lager. I guess with me and lager is that I can’t get past that cats piss smell and taste, I could possibly by palate sensitive to something I’m not sure but it makes me want to vomit. 

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The redbacks you have over there must be some whimpy, genetically flawed 2nd cousins of the ones here in SA, coz here they kill everything. 😜 🤣

Think of a David and Golieth type fight. Or a shitzu trying to have its way with a Great Dane. There’s just no match up. Wolf spiders literally eat drop bears for breakfast 

• Haha 1