Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

On 1/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Ok, this pulley system is way FN easier than trying to lift the bag by hand and stick a metal fridge shelf under it. I did try using it once at the olds but the clearance above wasn't high enough to pull the bag out properly. Here it's plenty high enough. No mess brew days from here on out!

20190114_123015.thumb.jpg.ca77c8edb29c17651792c982e1b0d41e.jpg

Hey Kelsey, where did you get your grain bag, mine isn’t cylindrical like that, it’s more square shaped like a old pair of bloomers,

cheers,

john

• Haha 1

Another hazy IPA just put into the fv. I had a few jedi juice neipa's by hop nation on tap during the week and it inspired me to brew another batch of chewy hoppy murky mudwater.

Went all flame out hops for a change, beersmith telling me 55ibu's from the 100g at flameout. Sample is smelling guuuud.

5Kg M/O

1Kg Wheat

500g Oats

No bittering addition

50g Citra/50g Mosaic at flameout for 20 mins

then another 50/50g at 82c for another 20mins

Cube hopping 50/50g again

6% 👍

IMG_0878.jpg

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, John304 said:

Hey Kelsey, where did you get your grain bag, mine isn’t cylindrical like that, it’s more square shaped like a old pair of bloomers,

cheers,

john

Not sure whether mine will reach the bottom of the new urn I’m getting 

Easy kits & bits brew today.

MJ's American Pale Ale pouch 1.7kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
Supernova grain 200gms (steeped)
Dextrose 100gms
Cascade/Simcoe 15gms each (steeped)
Mixed leftover hops 30gms (dry hopped)
White Labs WLP001 yeast cake
Brewed to 23 litres
Ferment @ 18°C
OG = approx. 1.043
FG = approx. 1.009
EBC = 13.9, IBU = 25 - 31
Kegged ABV = approx. 4.5%

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I’ve thought about your last post for a little while and there’s a number of angles I could go with it. 

However ive decided that I’m not going to bite because that’s clearly your prerogative. 

I believe that you now have the perfect opportunity to do a keg hop with your above recipe, seen as your trying to save a little bit of coin and have a perfect amount to give you that extra bit of aroma for the amount you are going to traditionally dry hop. Chuck it in the keg Lusty so you can then have a valid opinion on something that you have actually tried. After that you can tell us how shit it is. 

Until then, your opinion on keg hopping really is a moot point. 

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve thought about your last post for a little while and there’s a number of angles I could go with it. 

However ive decided that I’m not going to bite because that’s clearly your prerogative. 

I believe that you now have the perfect opportunity to do a keg hop with your above recipe, seen as your trying to save a little bit of coin and have a perfect amount to give you that extra bit of aroma for the amount you are going to traditionally dry hop. Chuck it in the keg Lusty so you can then have a valid opinion on something that you have actually tried. After that you can tell us how shit it is. 

Until then, your opinion on keg hopping really is a moot point. 

I've made a post fermentation hop tea & added it to a brew before so I'm not questioning whether keg hopping works or not, I'm sure it does. All I'm questioning is the need for it.

In the case where I used the post fermentation hop tea, it was to correct what was a fairly lacklustre beer at that point from what I had produced in the FV (a mistake on my part if you like). I've never had to do it again since.

I have plans to eventually run my beer through a filter system from the keg & with that I plan to try a Randall setup filled with fresh hops just to see what it is like in the glass. But as I mentioned earlier, that will be for a rare "wanky" beer, not the norm.

Enjoy your keg hopping. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

36 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I have plans to eventually run my beer through a filter system from the keg & with that I plan to try a Randall setup filled with fresh hops just to see what it is like in the glass. But as I mentioned earlier, that will be for a rare "wanky" beer, not the norm.

I would love to Randall something and I will at one point for a wanky beer for my beer geek mates. 

Btw, I don’t keg hop anymore, I tried it, it’s not for me, but hey, I tried it. I’ve also tried bottle hopping just so you know. 😉

I have keg hopped a number of batches for several reasons. The last one was a fwk that needed more hops, that was my preference and the reports back were that it didn't need it, also it was a fwk I never tried so I wanted to try it on its own merit and adjust it based on how I liked it, I liked the option to adjust my part of the batch in the keg. I have keg hopped a few batches that didn't have enough punch, again that was a personal preference and no one else really liked the beer as much as me afterwards. So that kind of points to the beers being fine but my hopheadness wanting more. I brew not just for me but others.

I did keg hop 3 brews by skipping the FV dry hop, with these I keg hopped them with half the amount I normally was going to an in one case I used 1/3 of the amount. The difference in these is I left the beer for 7 days without touching it and let it carb up slowly. I liked what I got and really have questioned my use of dry hops after that due to the efficiency. I even used galaxy in one batch and it was on tap for about 5 weeks plus and no grassiness was detected. All ancedotal and by my tastes so take it for what it is worth.

Scott Janish has done hisa own research on this, but it is based off his own perception, so again take it as you will. At the end if I have tools to make something better I will, think a mustang becoming a Shelby. We brew what we like, sometimes we make mistakes but I like to fix my mistakes, one of the reasons I went to kegging, that is risk management, in my humble opinion, also keg hopping on purpose as part of the process is not a mistake and should never be seen as one it is efficient and effective.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 2

The acceptance of required overcompensation is a breeding ground for mediocrity & poor efficiency of processes (IMHO).

For the benefit of this conversation I don't advocate the regular "fixing" of beer initially made to an unsatisfactory level.

Do your best to get it right the first time. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ok but my point, which was lost in my ramblings, was that keg hopping as part of the dry hop process is a great technique that is efficient and effective.

I agree with you Lusty, if the process is correct the beer should be fine, but new recipes, hops, malts all can adjust what is expected, foregoing a tool to assist you would be arrogant. Test pilots don't go up without a parachute and I never left the gate without my body armour. Stuff happens how we fix it and deal with it is showing our innovation. I for one am not going to sit around when something is wrong and just go well if they did this first we wouldn't be in this situation, I am going to make a solution, drive on and finish the task...which in this case is drinking my beer. Then I will do a review and make adjustments so that it doesn't happen again.

Here is an example, maybe you never tried a weisbeir but once you did you hated it, but it kind of reminded you of a Pacific ale if it had galaxy hops added....well what do you do? Drink it and hate it, dump it, pawn it off or try to make something bad better?

Either way I always advocate brew in your brewery the way you like, if you are making beers you enjoy. I used to think adding fruit was sacrilegious but after trying a fair few I see it as a useful tool to add another element to a brew, live and learn.

Cheers,

Norris

• Like 3

Hiya Norris.

54 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Ok but my point, which was lost in my ramblings, was that keg hopping as part of the dry hop process is a great technique...

I disagree with you here. I consider it an ad-hoc process only necessary for correcting inadequacies in the creation of the initial beer. I won't deny it is the freshest way of adding aroma to a beer, but do I really want to have to do this for every hoppy beer I make? Not me.

Then you have the timeframe these hops are exposed to your beer in the keg. The longer exposed to the beer, the more likelihood of unwanted vegetal aspects creeping into the flavour of the beer. No thanks. That said, if you're whipping through the keg fairly quickly, it likely wouldn't be an issue.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

...I agree with you Lusty, if the process is correct the beer should be fine, but new recipes, hops, malts all can adjust what is expected, foregoing a tool to assist you would be arrogant.

I hear what you are saying here. As a newer brewer still learning, having this as a fixer option is a good thing. Like I've already said, get it right first time then you don't need to adopt corrective measures. Do your homework on the beer you are trying to create & you're less likely to need ad-hoc processes to correct final problems with the beer you've brewed.

Here is an example, maybe you never tried a weisbeir but once you did you hated it, but it kind of reminded you of a Pacific ale if it had galaxy hops added....well what do you do?

You don't EVER brew another weisbeir or anything that could end up like it. 🤣 😉 Simple. OR you can faff around in this space & add corrective measures to make your Pacific Ale as you intended in the first place. Your choice.

...Either way I always advocate brew in your brewery the way you like, if you are making beers you enjoy. I used to think adding fruit was sacrilegious but after trying a fair few I see it as a useful tool to add another element to a brew, live and learn.

I'm in agreement with that statement without any objection. Given the point of contention though in this particular conversation, if you like to faff around with extra methods outside conventional areas to make a beer the way YOU like, no probs, but advocating the process as a necessary procedure to attain levels that can be achieved via regular accepted brewing practices is really not good practice.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I'm doing a keg hop with my pale ale that is currently in a keg. I'll be adding them a day or two before it goes into the kegerator to chill down and carbonate. I'll be using my small tea strainers for it; they can hang from the lid so once the beer drops below them, the hops won't be in contact with it anymore. The other reason for it is to prevent blockages in the dip tube or further up the line. 

I'm not doing it out of necessity or to correct a bad process earlier. I'm simply doing it to compare to a conventional dry hop. This beer was deliberately not dry hopped in the fermenter so I can get a better idea of what the keg hops bring to it.

I don't think anyone is claiming it to be a necessary process, simply an alternative one. If it uses less hops to get the same or better result than a conventional dry hop then I don't really see the problem, or how it's being used as a corrective measure, and may keep doing it for those styles. It would save money and get more batches from a bag of hops. I'm happy with how they've been turning out, I just want to try something different to see how it goes. 

One thing I would agree with is that having to do something to correct a bad practice is a bad habit to get into. Of course it's better to use good practice to begin with. I just don't think this is the motivation behind keg hopping for a lot of the guys who do it. It's certainly not my motivation. 

• Like 3

Just now, Beerlust said:

What didn't you like about keg hopping?

It diminishes too quickly as I don’t go through a keg that quick. 

If I has having a party etc and had a quick turnaround of kegs, he’ll yeah, great option. 

I also feel the aroma is more rounded during traditional dry hopping. 

Its kinda like keg hopping is intense but fades, dry hopping is smooth and lingers.

Traditional dry hopping has other advantages too, like bringing different aromas to the forefront when dry hopped at different temps. As I’m sure you are well aware of.  Cascade and mosaic are my favourite for this. 

• Like 1

Just as another option, there is a 5.2 pH Stabiliser on the market (produced by Five Star Chemicals) available if the acidulated grain route isn't for you. I admit I've only used it a couple of times with my partial mashing but had noticeable improvements in fermentability of those brews when I used the product.

A former active member of the forum I respected used it fairly regularly with his brewing & recommended it to me.

I would have used it more, but keep forgetting to add the damn stuff!! 🤣

Edit: It's helpful to know the water profile in your area before playing around in this area of brewing.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust